• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2020 Democratic Party primary thread

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
What are you, anyway? A registered Independent, or one of those newly minted Republicans who aren't really Republicans, but merely shitheads who like to yell MAGA!!!?
I'm just a capitalist workaholic. If business hasn't been booming for me these last few years, I might give the old boy less of a pass. How's business been for you these past few?

Jaguar

I'm just a capitalist workaholic. If business hasn't been booming for me these last few years, I might give the old boy less of a pass. How's business been for you these past few?

I would appreciate it if some lunatic stopped fucking around with tariffs and tweets, which in turn destabilize markets. Thanks to his antics, I have to monitor my investments more closely and make adjustments. How does who is in office directly affect your income?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Personally, I'm doing pretty well in terms of finances, but I have issues with Trump for other reasons. I personally think my decision to enter grad school and work on useful skills, as well as a solid educational background as an undergrad, has more to do with my more current situation than who happens to be President at the moment, anyway. Personal responsibility and all that.

Trump was so bad he made me vote for someone I dislike a great deal (and my reasons date back less to the 90's and more to the 00's). If it'd been someone else on the ticket, I probably would have just voted for a third party or write-in candidate. It's amusing people try to justify their support of him by claiming he's playing "five-dimensional chess" without being able to provide any evidence for that.

In my experience, when people claim someone is playing "five-dimensional chess" it's usually all in their heads. People said that about Hillary's terrible campaign, too. If you're shitty at chess, it's not because you're secretly good at it and nobody can understand how good you actually are.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I would appreciate it if some lunatic stopped fucking around with tariffs and tweets, which in turn destabilize markets. Thanks to his antics, I have to monitor my investments more closely and make adjustments. How does who is in office directly affect your income?
I have someone else handle my investments (my brain can't handle that shit), but directly the type of people in my community that hire me (old money) are a lot more spendy when the economy is growing (as it typically has under republican watch- tail end of bushes years not withstanding).

I don't like his trade policies either, but overall it would be worse for my pocketbook with any alternative at this point. If that changes, I'll change with it.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have someone else handle my investments (my brain can't handle that shit), but directly the type of people in my community that hire me (old money) are a lot more spendy when the economy is growing (as it typically has under republican watch- tail end of bushes years not withstanding).

I don't like his trade policies either, but overall it would be worse for my pocketbook with any alternative at this point. If that changes, I'll change with it.

I would assume that you don't want a Democrat in the White House for similar reasons that he doesn't want Warren or Sanders in there... you see it as affecting you negatively financially.

Given the fact that you both share a worldview that views financial success as indicative of other kinds of worth as well as one that is inclined to view taxation as theft, and tends to assume that the market will fix everything worth fixing, it's unclear why you wouldn't vote for Trump if you believe he has helped you with financial success and has prevented more theft. It's odd that he can't understand that given that he shares a similar worldview. I suppose the fact that he's more tied to the stock market gives him a slightly different perspective.

This also shows why supporting someone who will further a neoliberal paradigm will be unlikely to unseat Trump, especially when the failures of that paradigm have fueled his popularity. I suppose it hinges on convincing farmers that the fact that the tariffs have hurt them matters more than the fact that he's going to do something about those immigrants or offends "coastal elites" or whatever it is they like about him. Or perhaps there is an imaginary contingent of Republicans who feel he doesn't represent their party but who nonetheless voted for him the first time around maybe won't vote for him a second time, so we need someone like Biden to appeal to them.

Neither of those things are stuff I'd place money on if I were a gambling man.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
You're not very good at comparisons...
Oh really? You don't think American conservatives are an uncivilized and barbaric culture that need wise worldly people from another continent like you to bring them up to the speed of the times? My bad....

Deprecator

Oh really? You don't think American conservatives are an uncivilized and barbaric culture that need wise worldly people from another continent like you to bring them up to the speed of the times? My bad....
Honestly, the more foreigners feel the need to criticize an American first president the more I feel like he's doing his job right. In contrast, under the previous administration the workforce shrunk by nearly 10 million workers, wage growth decreased significantly, GDP growth fell to a near 40-year low and spending increased to record highs. And how did foreigners want to react to that guy? Oh, right. They repeatedly praised him for doing "incredible" work. Meanwhile the American left and their media allies keep droning on and on about Russia, obstruction, racism, Ukraine, and other similar nonsense, and at the end of the day this obsession of theirs just doesn't resonate with the majority of Americans who are far more concerned about wages, employment and financial security. Which, to this end, it's rather interesting to note how virtually all predictive models based on these metrics have Trump winning 2020 in a landslide.

Presently, both Trump and other Republican leaders have publicly stated that they hope the house votes in favor of impeachment; in the senate there'd be a sudden shift over who had control over the proceedings and which witnesses would be called forth to testify, and it's not hard to predict that this shift would result in a complete and utter humiliation for Democrats, not to mention a complete and total exoneration for Trump.

Jaguar

We don't have an America first president. Hell, we don't even have a president. The asshole in the oval office sold out the country, so he can fuck off and die.
I wouldn't even hire him to wash my car, he'd probably try and steal it.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
biff-waxing.jpg

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram