• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2020 Democratic Party primary thread

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yesterday, the spending stopgap measure and the parts of the Patriot Act that pertain to extending government surveillance for the next three moths passed. All House Dems voted for it except for AOC, Illhan Omar, Rashida Talib, Earl Blumenauer and Grace Meng. Under the current government structure, you will continue to give up your civil rights in return for "security" that can't even be provided. That opens the door wider and wider for an authoritarian fist just salivating to let it rip and a populous too scared and too beat down to stop them.

These 5 Dems plus Justin Amash did the right thing and when it goes to the Senate you know Bernie will vote against it too. I don't even need to think twice about that. That makes him the very best candidate for president in of itself. There is no other option.

But Bernie will mean that some people might have to save a little more to buy their next yacht. The immorality!

Besides, it's not necessary to stop government surveillance through legislative measures. Our norms will protect us.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don’t entirely understand the hate for AOC. I mean she makes me cringe a bit but it’s weird how much her critics obsessed over her

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don’t entirely understand the hate for AOC. I mean she makes me cringe a bit but it’s weird how much her critics obsessed over her

Yeah, well.... you know how that goes. It's not like she's the only one, they've been obsessing over other people for decades.

I'm not sure if AOC is someone I'd hang out with, and I don't agree with everything; but typically I grasp her reasons for saying stuff and she's got more reasons than they pretend. She's a good catalyst.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

I think the Dem leadership thought she would get in line and she hasn't. The best part is that she stopped apologizing to them which should be rule #1

Republicans have a multitude of reasons to hate her at an irrational level. She is a loud, brown Catholic woman, for openers.

Neither party takes kindly to anyone who beats the machine. I spent much of this summer with two people from the DCCC, I have no words to describe this organization and it's leadership.

She seems to be focused on the fight that the country is going to need to have going forward. We need more people like her in govt. but I want her to stay tight with her district and the people there. I watched her documentary, perhaps that's why I admire someone who won an election with nothing (seriously nothing, less than $10k).

I also enjoy watching her on CSPAN but she isn't my favorite. That would be Rep. Katie Porter.

Jaguar

Dear Rachel Maddow, Andrea Mitchell, Ashley Parker and Kristen Welker:

Please don’t start with Medicare.

Opinion | Dear Debate Moderators … - The New York Times

I agree. Why don't they just push the 'Medicare at 55 Act' ? It's doable. And you're not taking away anyone's rights to get there, just adding an option that doesn't require a sledgehammer to the head. Then move on to other matters.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Does Gabbard understand that she's in the Democrat primary? Why would she tout her military service to a bunch of people who dislike and even hate soldiers/cops in uniform?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Does Gabbard understand that she's in the Democrat primary? Why would she tout her military service to a bunch of people who dislike and even hate soldiers/cops in uniform?

Well, a lot of people are probably convinced she's a Russian asset because Hillary said so, if that helps you confirm your biases at all.

Gotta love that thinking: ("Only a Russian asset wouldn't support the same terrible judgement calls on foreign policy as me.")

Let's not forget that it wasn't that long ago that Republicans considered her stances on things to be unpatriotic and disrespectful towards the military. It was only when it was impossible to deny what a shitshow American foreign policy had become that they stopped.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
If medicare for all is such a controversy why they don't expand it just on children ? (which can't really earn money)

(under the assumption this already isn't the case)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
If medicare for all is such a controversy why they don't expand it just on children ? (which can't really earn money)

(under the assumption this already isn't the case)

lol Stop making such a sensible suggestion.

They already have a children's insurance program which is administered by the states via Medicaid with federal funding that falls under the services of Medicare. It's determinations are based on parents income, (which is part of the problem) as is the lax funding by the Trump administration.

Number of uninsured children rises for second year, tops 4 million | TheHill

Yes I know this sounds ridiculous and wasteful as there is no need to have all these different programs and administrations for them. The US would save billions minus all the administration for these various programs and bring everything under the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. You will hear lots of fear mongering about government administration of health care but go ahead and ask anyone over 65 if they they hate is so much they will give up their Medicare. I've never found a single one willing to do so.

Anyone mentioning 55 and up Medicare. There is a bill that's been sitting there since 2017. The Senate refused to hear it and that is 100% on Republicans.

Jaguar

The Senate won't pass X, so let's take taxpayer's donations and run an entire campaign on something they're even less likely to pass. Brilliant.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Probably. Not much else to do in prison.
tenor.gif

Bless your heart.

Nicodemus

tenor.gif

Bless your heart.
Granted, if he were to win a second term, he would probably dispense with future elections and die in office. But if he does not win, there is a very real possiblilty of him going to jail. He has a lot of legal problems that are only on hold because he is still on office.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wouldn't be surprised if he fled the country once his term(s) were up OR he were about to be removed from office. I wonder if he'd seek refuge in Russia.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Granted, if he were to win a second term, he would probably dispense with future elections and die in office. But if he does not win, there is a very real possiblilty of him going to jail. He has a lot of legal problems that are only on hold because he is still on office.

(the most likely scenario in my book)

If he loses and then they go after him that that could trigger a lot of violence from his supporters. Therefore I think they will just let him walk, once he is out of the office he formally isn't too much of deal to risk major "problems". Modern America sweeps most of this kind of stuff under the rug and I think this wouldn't be exception.

:shrug:

Nicodemus

(the most likely scenario in my book)

If he loses and then they go after him that that could trigger a lot of violence from his supporters. Therefore I think they will just let him walk, once he is out of the office he formally isn't too much of deal to risk major "problems". Modern America sweeps most of this kind of stuff under the rug and I think this wouldn't be exception.

:shrug:
There are three possibilities (in order of probability):

1. A Democrat wins: No Democrat can afford to upset their base in such an inexcusable way. Not the even the most conciliatory, Buttigieg, would risk that.
  2. Trump wins: Nothing happens to Trump; the US deteriorates further, eventually becoming a failed state.
  3. Another Republican wins: Pigs learn to fly and nobody cares about politics anymore.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
There are three possibilities (in order of probability):

1. A Democrat wins: No Democrat can afford to upset their base in such an inexcusable way. Not the even the most conciliatory, Buttigieg, would risk that.
  2. Trump wins: Nothing happens to Trump; the US deteriorates further, eventually becoming a failed state.
  3. Another Republican wins: Pigs learn to fly and nobody cares about politics anymore.

Well, back in a day they were saying all kind of things about Bush Jr. a nothing really happened. I could be wrong since this time it is worse from legal perspective but I don't really see Trump's trial as something realistic. We will see.

Nicodemus

Well, back in a day they were saying all kind of things about Bush Jr. a nothing really happened. I could be wrong since this time it is worse from legal perspective but I don't really see Trump's trial as something realistic. We will see.
Apples and oranges, really. Remember, you thought the Ukraine thing would blow over like all the other scandals. Yet it is now rather obvious that Trump will be impeached, perhaps even before Christmas.