• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2020 Democratic Party primary thread

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
The DNC isn't doing much to earn people's trust after their 2016 shenanigans. I know I'll get blasted as a nutty conspiracy theorist for saying this, but I think the primaries are a rigged game and there's a short list of acceptable candidates they'll permit to make it to the nomination. Anyone else, I think they'll do anything they can to prevent from gaining traction.

People told me I was being silly in 2016 but then it was later confirmed the DNC was playing dirty and rigging things in Clinton's favor. The reforms they've since made to the process are a bandaid.

They aren't even a band-aid. Granted I have more experience with the DCCC than the DNC but they are both horrible and won't survive if they don't make substantial changes, especially in regards to progressive candidates who refuse to kowtow to doners. The only difference between them and the RNC is that the DNC financial chairs and deputies aren't in prison, being investigated, been accused of multiple rapes and so on.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Yeah I read that yesterday, it sucks. But to be honest, CNN or whoever could have debates of any format - why don't they? They could easily say - fuck the DNC. I mean TYT or Newsy could do it too although barely anyone even knows who they are. Bernie regularly had town halls on FB live it gets no publicity outside of FB, unless you follow on Twitter.

If it were up to me, Means TV would televise debates/town halls - not MSM, and have the say over the format.

Means TV: the world’s first post-capitalist streaming platform.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah I read that yesterday, it sucks. But to be honest, CNN or whoever could have debates of any format - why don't they? They could easily say - fuck the DNC. I mean TYT or Newsy could do it too although barely anyone even knows who they are. Bernie regularly had town halls on FB live it gets no publicity outside of FB, unless you follow on Twitter.

If it were up to me, Means TV would televise debates/town halls - not MSM, and have the say over the format.

Means TV: the world’s first post-capitalist streaming platform.

I agree. Tulsi needs to circumvent the DNC and start making more appearances on news outlets, preferably in a town hall format. She needs to cover both the Fox News and CNN crowd. The townhall is a better format than a full debate stage anyway.

for an old dude, Bernie is pretty smart about using social media. Most of the people who watch news channels on a regular basis are not on social media, and vice versa, so it seems to be a generational divide. That's why he had so many millennial followers in 2016. Whereas when I spoke to Clinton supporters during the 2016 primary season, most of them were older people like my parents who didn't seem super familiar with Bernie and weren't really following politics on social media. They had an idea of him based on a caricature they were seeing on MSNBC.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I agree. Tulsi needs to circumvent the DNC and start making more appearances on news outlets, preferably in a town hall format. She needs to cover both the Fox News and CNN crowd. The townhall is a better format than a full debate stage anyway.

for an old dude, Bernie is pretty smart about using social media. Most of the people who watch news channels on a regular basis are not on social media, and vice versa, so it seems to be a generational divide. That's why he had so many millennial followers in 2016. Whereas when I spoke to Clinton supporters during the 2016 primary season, most of them were older people like my parents who didn't seem super familiar with Bernie and weren't really following politics on social media. They had an idea of him based on a caricature they were seeing on MSNBC.

Right. Bernie gets it, that's why he is doing town halls on Fox. Not to try to reach the MAGA true believers, that's impossible, but to get the people that watch that don't vote, haven't voted in years and think it won't matter. There are so many of them.

And blowing up the system doesn't have to be the vile, exclusionary idea that Trump and the GOP push. It can be the complete opposite and beneficial and inclusive.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Right. Bernie gets it, that's why he is doing town halls on Fox. Not to try to reach the MAGA true believers, that's impossible, but to get the people that watch that don't vote, haven't voted in years and think it won't matter. There are so many of them.

And blowing up the system doesn't have to be the vile, exclusionary idea that Trump and the GOP push. It can be the complete opposite and beneficial and inclusive.

Well for instance, I have an uncle who watches Fox, but I wouldn't exactly call him a maga-head. He voted democratic most of his life, but like a lot of aging boomers, I think he just found it harder and harder to identify with the democratic platform as they increasingly moved away from that blue collar populism the dems used to be known for. So here is exactly the type of person Bernie is probably reaching.

That whole excuse for wanting to blow up the system from otherwise liberal people who supported Trump didn't sit right with me. Because he's still supporting a lot of old socially conservative talking points like "law and order" (how the hell does wanting law and order equate to blowing up the system anyway?) And then there was of course the whole transgender military ban, and how Trump and his supporters tried to pretend it was just about cutting costs, when they could have simply said "we won't pay for your reassignment surgeries or your hormone injections, but you're still free to serve" if costs were really their only concern.

Sorry for the rant, I'm in agreement with you but I've been wanting to get my thoughts on the trangender ban off my chest.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well for instance, I have an uncle who watches Fox, but I wouldn't exactly call him a maga-head. He voted democratic most of his life, but like a lot of aging boomers, I think he just found it harder and harder to identify with the democratic platform as they increasingly moved away from that blue collar populism the dems used to be known for. So here is exactly the type of person Bernie is probably reaching.

That whole excuse for wanting to blow up the system from otherwise liberal people who supported Trump didn't sit right with me. Because he's still supporting a lot of old socially conservative talking points like "law and order" (how the hell does wanting law and order equate to blowing up the system anyway?) And then there was of course the whole transgender military ban, and how Trump and his supporters tried to pretend it was just about cutting costs, when they could have simply said "we won't pay for your reassignment surgeries or your hormone injections, but you're still free to serve" if costs were really their only concern.

Sorry for the rant, I'm in agreement with you but I've been wanting to get my thoughts on the trangender ban off my chest.

Oh yeah... that never occurred to me... the ridiculousness of "blowing up the system" and "wanting to watch the world burn" while at the same time "law and order" is of utmost importance? Can you explain to me more about what's up with that?

Jaguar

3-Way Lead as Dem 2020 Picture Shifts
Sanders and Warren rise; Biden drops

Sanders (20%), Warren (20%), and Biden (19%)

“The main takeaway from this poll is that the Democratic race has become volatile. Liberal voters are starting to cast about for a candidate they can identify with. Moderate voters, who have been paying less attention, seem to be expressing doubts about Biden. But they are swinging more toward one of the left-leaning contenders with high name recognition rather than toward a lesser known candidate who might be more in line with them politically,” said Patrick Murray, director of the independent Monmouth University Polling Institute. He added, “It’s important to keep in mind this is just one snapshot from one poll. But it does raise warning signs of increased churning in the Democratic nomination contest now that voters are starting to pay closer attention.”

3-Way Lead as Dem 2020 Picture Shifts | Monmouth University Polling Institute

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I think the backroom aspect is still there, we just have a façade of a democratic process of nominating candidates.

There is nothing to think here, just the fact that you have a 2 party system implies that all "relevant faces" are at least half chosen. While in a normal democracy you have at least 4 to 5 parties that are politically relevant and the new one can pop out at anytime when someone messes up big time.

Nicodemus

Oh yeah... that never occurred to me... the ridiculousness of "blowing up the system" and "wanting to watch the world burn" while at the same time "law and order" is of utmost importance? Can you explain to me more about what's up with that?
Coherence and compatibility are not requirements for beliefs held by human minds. Ever met a Christian?

People support one idea for one reason, often without understanding rationales and usually ignoring consequences, then turn around and support a logically opposing idea for an unrelated reason. And never the twain shall meet. Add to that people's penchant to stick to their guns when pressed, and you got yourself a species made in god's own image.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anyone who knows anything about Marketing, should automatically realize that's way too many choices for a consumer to process. But then again, doesn't really matter...in that the potential for choice is often the greatest of illusions.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They're not wrong. I remember 2003, and the 2004 primaries, also.

I only started following politics in 2015. But I also clearly remembering being forced to watch Obama's election and the campaigns in 2007. So I cannot really gauge how much worse the media has gotten since then. I might be just more aware, and I can't help but ask myself. How can anyone watch the media anymore?

Nicodemus

How can anyone watch the media anymore?
Simple: Realize that 'the media' is made up of millions of different, often independent entities with individual ideological bents. Thinking of all of them as though they were one and orchestrated by some higher power is a form of simplemindedness often mistaken for cleverness by people who enjoy conspiracy theories.

Sure, there is plenty wrong with US news reporting across almost the entire spectrum, but some sources are much worse than others. Your job is to find the better ones and to stop listening to Fox News.