• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2020 Democratic Party primary thread

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm, grievances is a bit strong. I would say that if I have grievances (which is possible; I nurse grudges) against people, they would predate 2016.

Fair enough. In any event, and I'm genuinely not trying to offend, but I have no interest in going there.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Thoughts ?

image-asset.png

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
If the mods are serious about their new rules, that shouldn't happen, not on this forum anyway. But I can bet dollars to donuts that the 2020 election is going to be every bit as acrimonious as the 2016 election.

Regarding the primary:

I suspect Biden will fall. Right now I see him running entirely on name recognition and wistful memories of having a President that can actually speak above a 5th grade level.

If the vote was tomorrow I would vote on Warren, but the reality is that there is a lot of good candidates running so I've got plenty of choices at this point.

It's likely Joe Biden will win the primary and get the nomination. I see Harris or Warren as his VP choice. I don't personally support this nomination because it won't facilitate the change the nation requires but it will satisfy the "get things back to normal" centrist liberals that are very upset that their apathy and laziness has been challenged.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
It's likely Joe Biden will win the primary and get the nomination. I see Harris or Warren as his VP choice. I don't personally support this nomination because it won't facilitate the change the nation requires but it will satisfy the "get things back to normal" centrist liberals that are very upset that their apathy and laziness has been challenged.

Since I am not from the country I can't really know if this is true: but have you seen the map of small donors that is going around the internet ? The clearer the color the higher is concentration/preference.

Just sharing.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Since I am not from the country I can't really know if this is true: but have you seen the map of small donors that is going around the internet ? The clearer the color the higher is concentration/preference.

Just sharing.

Trump was polling at around 5% at this time in the last election cycle. Polls and donor numbers mean very little at this point, regardless of party.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

It might satisfy them in theory, I suppose, but not in practice, because he'll probably lose the general.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think Pete or Tulsi could pose a serious threat to Trump in the general election. Most of the others will be memed into oblivion by Trump's 4chan auxiliaries.

The people trying to dismiss Tulsi as an Assad apologist, or continually bringing up a past stance on homosexuality for which she has apologized profusely over the years, are shooting themselves in the feet by trying to crush one of the best candidates in the dem field. She's got something special that's hard to put my finger on at the moment. I think she could appeal to a lot of independents without alienating the progressive base the way Biden would.

Democrats are really talented at stealing defeat from the jaws of victory. I hope this time will be different.

That's all I have to say on politics at the moment.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think Pete or Tulsi could pose a serious threat to Trump in the general election. Most of the others will be memed into oblivion by Trump's 4chan auxiliaries.

The people trying to dismiss Tulsi as an Assad apologist, or continually bringing up a past stance on homosexuality for which she has apologized profusely over the years, are shooting themselves in the feet by trying to crush one of the best candidates in the dem field.
Someone else pointed out that Tulsi is kind of Wonder Woman-esque and I think that fits.

In an ideal world, they would be giving Biden shit for enabling Vietnam 2.0.

Also, Iraq aside, I don't think we had any clue what the fuck we were doing when we intervened in Syria. It was Assad on one side and Al Qaeda on the other ( I mean it wasn't ALL Al Qaeda, but it was part of it) . Maybe some things you should just stay out of? But no, American exceptionalism, blah blah blah, logic doesn't apply to things America does because it's the freedomest country that ever freedomed.

Williamson has memes, and you are correct to state their importance. Obama had memes.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

As a centrist liberal, I for one am glad that apathy and laziness have been/is being challenged and I hope Biden doesn't make it. I'll still vote him if it comes that way, but I hope it's not the case.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Someone else pointed out that Tulsi is kind of Wonder Woman-esque and I think that fits.

In an ideal world, they would be giving Biden shit for enabling Vietnam 2.0.

Also, Iraq aside, I don't think we had any clue what the fuck we were doing when we intervened in Syria. It was Assad on one side and Al Qaeda on the other ( I mean it wasn't ALL Al Qaeda, but it was part of it) . Maybe some things you should just stay out of? But no, American exceptionalism, blah blah blah, logic doesn't apply to things America does because it's the freedomest country that ever freedomed.

Williamson has memes, and you are correct to state their importance. Obama had memes.

Also, Tulsi is sexy on a surfboard. I hate to objectify her that way, but there is a sexiness about not just her looks, but her personality. She's very steady and even-tempered, compared to, say Kamala, who seems a hothead, or Biden, who is a walking gaffe factory.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Also, Tulsi is sexy on a surfboard. I hate to objectify her that way, but there is a sexiness about not just her looks, but her personality. She's very steady and even-tempered, compared to, say Kamala, who seems a hothead, or Biden, who is a walking gaffe factory.

Several people I know that like Tulsi, liked Sara Palin for the same reasons. Very little to do with ability or politics, more to do with looks and personality.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Several people I know that like Tulsi, liked Sara Palin for the same reasons. Very little to do with ability or politics, more to do with looks and personality.

I did not know she appealed to that crowd. Fascinating. Of course, some mouthbreathers I guess see it as a negative to attract people who "aren't Democrats" though it's somehow ok for Biden to appeal to theoretically appeal to "never trump" republicans (who are probably only three people).

Personally, while I don't deny that she's attractive, I also like the fact that she combines criticisms of U.S. foreign policy with actual military experience. It's evidently a message that still needs to be articulated, since there are evidently still a lot of neoliberals and neoconservatives still content to join forces as a consequence of despair at Trump's paleoconservative isolationism.

I know the Chapo guys don't like her and I can't figure out why.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If Tulsi wants to make the cut, she needs to get out of the middle/end of the pack somehow.

At her current rate, she is going nowhere. She is not standing out in a significant way enough to compete in the main clump of 6-7 people.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If Tulsi wants to make the cut, she needs to get out of the middle/end of the pack somehow.

At her current rate, she is going nowhere. She is not standing out in a significant way enough to compete in the main clump of 6-7 people.

No, but I hope she at least makes it to the next debate. it's unfortunately obvious to me that her ideas still need more of a platform.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I did not know she appealed to that crowd. Fascinating. Of course, some mouthbreathers I guess see it as a negative to attract people who "aren't Democrats" though it's somehow ok for Biden to appeal to theoretically appeal to "never trump" republicans (who are probably only three people).

Personally, while I don't deny that she's attractive, I also like the fact that she combines criticisms of U.S. foreign policy with actual military experience. It's evidently a message that still needs to be articulated, since there are evidently a lot of neoliberals and neoconservatives still content to join forces as a consequence of despair at Trump's paleoconservative isolationism.

I know the Chapo guys don't like her and I can't figure out why.

As far as the Chapo guys - She's very pro-Israel, beyond the norms for Dems (who are also pro-Israel, it's a shitty party). She was at Netanyahu's speech to Congress when nearly every Dem boycotted it. But the Chapo guys have far stronger feelings for someone like Brett Stephens, who is repellent or Rod Dreher who is just a spectacle, although I read all his stuff because it's hilarious.

For me, she says nothing that stands out or gets my attention. The country could do much worse than Tulsi but I wouldn't want her getting the nomination. I'm pretty lukewarm on her overall.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
No, but I hope she at least makes it to the next debate. it's unfortunately obvious to me that her ideas still need more of a platform.

I hate the debates. Mostly because the DNC controls them but the format is ridiculous. Town Hall style is better, one at a time.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Steadiness and an even temperament don't matter in politics and government? I don't buy that, considering one of the major things we're fighting against right now is a hot tempered President who disrespects foreign nations and leaders, and changes positions to save face when Ann Coulter calls him a pussy.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As far as the Chapo guys - She's very pro-Israel, beyond the norms for Dems (who are also pro-Israel, it's a shitty party). She was at Netanyahu's speech to Congress when nearly every Dem boycotted it.

Oh, I remember that speech. That pissed me off.

Regarding Israel, I don't see myself as being pro-Israel (like I don't think it should matter whether or not an American politician supports Israel) , but I am really bothered by people who don't seem to understand why Jews are pro Israel and seem perfectly find engaging in tropes and don't have any interest in finding a different way to discuss the situation. There's a sort of leftist (usually a tankie) that considers me a "Zionist" merely for saying that, and is way more comfortable being friends with someone who goes on about Rothschild banking conspiracies.

I actually hate the Chapo subreddit because it's full of people who seem like that. I don't know how the podcast can be so awesome and the subreddit can be so lame.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Steadiness and an even temperament don't matter in politics and government? I don't buy that, considering one of the major things we're fighting against right now is a hot tempered President who disrespects foreign nations and leaders, and changes positions to save face when Ann Coulter calls him a pussy.

Of course but I can only go by the small amount of people I know that support Tulsi and supported Sara Palin. Tulsi is a paleocon and isolationist/Fortress America is not something I support. Beyond that I don't have an issue with her temperament, she seems stable and sane and that's better than the current president who is neither. Well, tertiary syphilis is my diagnosis for Trump since the beginning and I stand by that.