User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    The funding isn't of interest to most Trump supporters. I don't care who pays for it as long as it's built. The wall pays for itself in the savings to the American taxpayer from reduced crime and welfare payments, etc.

If we can afford $100 billion for climate change research, we can afford a $5 billion wall.

Technology will solve this problem; the wall will be monitored by robot sentries in a couple of decades. Currently, if the border patrol isn't up to the task, this would be an excellent opportunity for a drone company to come up with a solution. But let's be honest here. Democrats aren't interested in an effective wall; they want the wall to not be built and if it is built, they want it to fail because a large percentage of immigrants and immigrant children become Democrats. If it were libertarians or conservatives streaming across the border, Democrats would've funded the wall back in the 80s.
    Jaysus!! Well if that's not about one of the most unlibertarian things I've ever heard!!

Next you'll be saying that you support a progressive income tax to pay the contractors and those contractors better be Mexican or Latin American Caravan workers.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lark
    Jaysus!! Well if that's not about one of the most unlibertarian things I've ever heard!!
    The one function of government that all libertarians support is national security, which border security falls under. Funding the wall is a legitimate use of tax payer dollars; climate change nonsense is not.
    How the heck did pandas survive this long? They're basically a giant, slow moving piece of steak.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    The one function of government that all libertarians support is national security, which border security falls under. Funding the wall is a legitimate use of tax payer dollars; climate change nonsense is not.

Now I know you arent serious

Have a good one man, dont overdo the eggnog, you'll get sick

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so

Perhaps they've all just agreed behind closed doors that there is no reasonable way to make Mexico pay, and it makes as much sense as building a fence and handing your neighbor the bill.

Though I do find it odd no one seems to be mentioning this aspect. It could be good ammo for the people who don't want billions of dollars (that, spoiler alert, the county doesn't have) to go to the border wall.

But then again, this whole thing is just a mess no matter how you spin it.

Quote Originally Posted by LucieCat View Post
    Perhaps they've all just agreed behind closed doors that there is no reasonable way to make Mexico pay, and it makes as much sense as building a fence and handing your neighbor the bill.

Though I do find it odd no one seems to be mentioning this aspect. It could be good ammo for the people who don't want billions of dollars (that, spoiler alert, the county doesn't have) to go to the border wall.

But then again, this whole thing is just a mess no matter how you spin it.
    I think its a kind of cowardly approach to your neighbours problems too. Build a wall and cower behind it. Until the choas next door gets so bad that someone lights the house on fire and it eventually spreads to your own house and you're equally as screwed as they are.

Same thing is happening in the UK, the rise of the far right and far left on the mainland in the EU scares the life out of the "island people" that are the UK "leave" voters (that's the ones which arent simply racists with delusions of grandeur, some of them think the EU will collapse without the UK. A lot of them thought that about UK withdrawal from the south of Ireland. The ROI is, unsurprisingly, still there).

The idea that in a globalised world you really can afford to ignore "goings on next door" is a bit naive to say the least.

Trump co. tapped in to a lot of concerns about migration that are fair enough, Mexico is a nightmarish mess from what I've read about it. Corruption, collapse, institutional decay, vigilantism, cartelism, slavery, human trafficking, drug trafficking, they got it all. When I read that the cartels had the authorities out gunned because of their gun running from the US with its freer trade in weapons I thought it was safely a situation I could understand people hoping a wall would fix.

I doubt it though. I seriously do.

And I think that about population displacement and migrant flows internationally. Its all been weaponised by shady elements and dark money. Until there's a concerted element to go after the puppet masters stop gap or symbolic measures like Trump's great wall of china replica arent going to work out.

MBTI
    eNTJ
    Enneagram
    315 sp/so

But what I will never understand is how can a country shut down the government. To me this is insane option to have even for the case like this.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Mexico was not literally going to pay for the wall. That's stupid. They pay for it indirectly with green cards, with legal labor, paying into our systems to use them. That money still goes to America. But they cannot just sign a check over to USA. Money in the government does not work like a store. So while deportation, renegotiation of trade deals, etc has increased the amount of profit America makes in its dealings with Mexico. It should be easy to pass a bill for wall funding. They just do not do it, because they dislike Trump. The wall, is pennies in comparison to a lot of shit. Its all a game of stubbornness at this point, and Trump is going to win.
    Omnivariant

Quote Originally Posted by Exolvuntur View Post
    Mexico was not literally going to pay for the wall. That's stupid. They pay for it indirectly with green cards, with legal labor, paying into our systems to use them. That money still goes to America. But they cannot just sign a check over to USA. Money in the government does not work like a store. So while deportation, renegotiation of trade deals, etc has increased the amount of profit America makes in its dealings with Mexico. It should be easy to pass a bill for wall funding. They just do not do it, because they dislike Trump. The wall, is pennies in comparison to a lot of shit. Its all a game of stubbornness at this point, and Trump is going to win.
    There you have it, the Trump drone answer of ignorance. Thread closed.
    Likes prplchknz liked this post

MBTI
    INTP

Mexico should agree to build the wall as a diplomatic gesture. They could do it on the cheap with bricks of that shitty brown town cartel cannibus that we no longer have any use for now that we grow better stuff legally in house.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post
    But what I will never understand is how can a country shut down the government. To me this is insane option to have even for the case like this.
    It's just the non-essential government that's shutting down. Everyone that's needed is still going to work. Most Americans won't notice the absence of government. There's things like this - National Christmas tree dark due to government shutdown - AOL News, which may be a little sad for tourists visiting DC this time of year.
    Likes Tellenbach liked this post