User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Default The Left and Racism

Racism is a tactic used by the Left. This is because the Left had no successes in the 20th century except with apartheid, where they were entirely successful. And this being their only success, it is only natural they use it as their weapon of choice.

The Left even use racism where it is entirely inappropriate. For instance, we are regularly accused of being racist towards muslims when muslims are not even a race.

And interestingly racism is a template used to understand other groups such as women and LGBTI, the handicapped and the disabled, the mentally ill, and almost any other identity group.

And racism is not only an insult but it is a life staining insult. In Australia you can be hauled before the Discrimination Commissioner on the basis of any untested complaint and made to prove you are not racist. Even cartoonists have to prove they are not racist. The Islamists kill cartoonists, we merely brand them racist.
    Likes Cloudpatrol, Xann liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by S16M4 View Post
    I'm from Japan. We're some of the most racist people in the world.

We just don't have the same filter as the West does.

I think, to Japanese racial differences are"当たり前" which means it's obvious that people are different, and it's not a sin to recognize those differences.

We're actually very intrigued by those differences.
    Hmmm, I didn't know that.

That really resonates with me. I think if the perceptions was more "differences are intriguing" than "differences are cause for alarm or distrust" the potency of the actual word "racism" would be diluted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Racism is a tactic used by the Left. This is because the Left had no successes in the 20th century except with apartheid, where they were entirely successful. And this being their only success, it is only natural they use it as their weapon of choice.

The Left even use racism where it is entirely inappropriate. For instance, we are regularly accused of being racist towards muslims when muslims are not even a race.

And interestingly racism is a template used to understand other groups such as women and LGBTI, the handicapped and the disabled, the mentally ill, and almost any other identity group.

And racism is not only an insult but it is a life staining insult. In Australia you can be hauled before the Discrimination Commissioner on the basis of any untested complaint and made to prove you are not racist. Even cartoonists have to prove they are not racist. The Islamists kill cartoonists, we merely brand them racist.
    You raise a good point, that the word racism is often applied to areas where it isn't actually related.

The kind of atmosphere you are describing: having to prove you aren't a racist to avoid prosecution or punishment, is exactly as what I perceive as very dangerous.

It would be akin (in my eyes) to being told that to be "judgmental" is a punishable offence. Who among us is not occasionally judgmental? But, I can see why people would avoid copping to 'making judgments' if they feared public or legal censure.
    Likes Mole, Lord Lavender liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpatrol View Post
    I truly believe that everyone is a racist. NOT in the noun form:

noun
    noun: racist; plural noun: racists
    1. 1. 
a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

But, rather in the adjective form:

adjective
    noun: racist; plural noun: racists; adjective: racist
    1. 1. 
having or showing the belief that a particular race is superior to another.
    I would expand this and say instead that everyone has biases, perhaps even bigotry of some kind. For some of us, it is more based on race. For others - sex, or sexual orientation, or religion, or some other distinction. I don't know that a sense of superiority is essential to racism of other bias, it is more the maintenance of a double standard: the idea that it is OK to treat some subsets of humanity differently from others for no other reason than their group membership. This last is critical, because obviously we don't treat everyone the same, nor should we. But when we hesitate to hire someone solely because they are black, or to rent to them solely because they are gay, etc. this crosses the line from different treatment into unfair (biased) treatment.

I suspect we all feel demographic biases inside, on some level. If we value fairness and work to be vigilant with ourselves, we will minimize how often we act on these biases, but none of us will be perfect on that count either.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by S16M4 View Post
    I'm from Japan. We're some of the most racist people in the world.

We just don't have the same filter as the West does.

I think, to Japanese racial differences are"当たり前" which means it's obvious that people are different, and it's not a sin to recognize those differences.

We're actually very intrigued by those differences.
    I worked on the Japanese desk in the Australian Department of Immigration and Ethnic Affairs. I was entranced by the Japanese businessmen I met everyday. They were delightful company and dedicated to the companies they worked for, I could only say in a military style. I recognised they were a cut above me and I was out of my depth. So I was very interested to understand them.

I learnt honne and tatemae, what we really feel and what we show the world, but I was staggered to discover they took racial purity for granted.

We had just fought a world war against racism, so I was somewhat perplexed to discover racial purity so delightfully in my face every day.
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

Let me help u with this geedoenfj's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Default EVERYone is a Racist

I don't have any problems with any race, what matters to me is the person keeping their manners AND their personal hygiene..
    However, I find the cultural differences are more interesting than anything else, I love questioning them, trying to understand their point of view, most of the time I don't, but just getting to know more makes you able to explore new stuff and of course know how to deal with different people..
    As for culture, I don't mind questioning, in fact I welcome questions, I don't get offended by any kind of questions, and I don't sugarcoat the reality or the facts because I do criticize some of its aspects all the time, but I get offended by judgements and jumping to conclusions and these attempts of winning a debate by some people, I highly respect and appreciate those who come from a place that "I'm interested to know more" or "Maybe I was wrong" instead of "I'm so damn sure about my opinions" openness, more information, no generalizations..
    Being a core six myself, that's how I am, and I hope more people would borrow that healthy approach..

Quote Originally Posted by riva View Post
    Race - nature
    Culture and religion - choice
    Most of the time people are not choosing their religion or culture, they're following the mainstream, sometimes they follow the twisted version of religion just because that's what they found their society to be, add a religion flavor to a tradition and you get yourself a community that sanctify it..

Quote Originally Posted by riva View Post
    Does this mean the others are racist? No, because they do not believe the minority group of people are racially inferior. They just think their demands are creepy.
    I agree
    Don't climb mountains so that people can see you. Climb mountains so that you can see the world.

6w7 > 1w2 > 2w3

Likes Riva, Cloudpatrol, ChocolateMoose123 liked this post

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Racism is bad.
    5w4,4w5,1

The Researcher
    Likes geedoenfj liked this post

Let me help u with this geedoenfj's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by great_bay View Post
    Racism is bad.
    Don't climb mountains so that people can see you. Climb mountains so that you can see the world.

6w7 > 1w2 > 2w3

Likes Lord Lavender, Poki, Cloudpatrol liked this post

You're unbelievable ... ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

I'm a White British man from London.
    I'm also from South London, in Thornton Heath.

This is where I'm from, where I live...

I'm rare, my native self is now high product.
    Likes Lord Lavender, Cloudpatrol liked this post

Robos beloved unicorn 💜 Lord Lavender's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    974 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

I agree that racism is a weapon of the left wing to silence and shut down debate. There are many double standards abound. Say I said that Christianity should be banned and drew pictures of Jesus in a comedic manner then it is acceptable (Because apparently Christianity is a "white" religion even though it isn't and whites cannot be victims) but if I say Judaism or Islam should be banned then i am automatically a racist who is worse than Hitler. Drawing pictures of Mohammed will kick people off in rage so terrible they are willing to kill and murder people. Hating Islam isn't even racist as it is a region not a race and anyway Muslims come in many races not just Middle Eastern which the lefties seem to think they are all which makes those people the uneducated bigots. (I am not a fan of religion in general as i dont see any benefit of organized religion or the values preached by such in a modern civilised society).

To answer the threads question i think all humans are racist to some degree. It is natural instinct through the animal kingdom to distrust outsiders and humans are no different. I do wonder if dogs hate each other based on breed as my Jack Russel hates sheepdogs and huskies. I treat all people of all races and creeds with respect unless they give me a reason not too which is the same as everyone else. I dont go in religious peoples faces and tell them they are wrong as this is just plain rude and disrespectful and nether do i treat anyone better or worse based on their race as positive discrimination IMO is racism as well. I do think life would be so much simpler if people treated other with politeness and respect for one another rather than having to treat x group better than y group.
    9w1 7w6 4w3 Saugine Pisces Sun,Libra Moon, Libra Rising
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

I would argue that most racism ultimately comes from cultural differences, not the apparent biological ones. No, the cultural differences are not a matter of choice, but of upbringing. The do tend to follow racial lines because families are very significant in the propagation of culture.

Historically, however, the reasons for racism have been thought to be biological. This wasn't an unreasonable hypothesis: there are strong correlations, and those correlations provide a good confirmation bias towards races being very biologically different. Part of the rhetoric to stigmatize racism was pointing out how these biological differences are entirely superficial, that "race" is essentially an illusion. There is nothing biological that causes one race to behave better or worse than another race. Therefore we should judge people by the content of their character and not the color of their skin.

What has happened, though, and this is why I agree with the OP that "everyone is racist", is that the cultural differences never went away. Everyone agrees that racism, the idea that a particular race is superior or inferior to another, is wrong, at least intellectually. But they still see the same cultural differences, which is why racial jokes (at least those made by a non-white person) are still funny, because race is still used as a proxy for culture. The problem is that there will always be cultural differences, and people will always see their own culture as being better than another, in the same way that someone who always uses a PC is going to see a PC as being better than a Mac - it's what they know how to use and changing to a different culture or different OS requires a lot of personal adjustment.

So now we live in a society that so abhors "racism", to the point that it is synonymous with the evils of Hitler and the Nazis, that we are largely not allowed to recognize cultural differences even as we ironically celebrate cultural diversity. A preference for ones own culture stinks of racism. A preference for enforcing immigration law stinks of racism. Noting that certain groups of people have a higher incidence of lawlessness stinks of racism. Therefore, ironically, judging people by the content of their character stinks of racism. All of this prevents us from discussing cultural differences in an open way that lets us decide what our culture is, that lets us decide which of conflicting standards to adopt. This distinct lack of discussion is what has created our current cultural echo chambers, in which two different cultures with very different moral standards only discuss their standards with themselves, instead of with the people with whom they need to discuss them.

Is it surprising that both of these cultures regard the other culture as being a bunch of Nazis?
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.