User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 66

  1. #11
    Senior(ita) Member Cloudpatrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S16M4 View Post
    ぜんぜん意味わからんけど。。
    @Cloudpatrol

    Noble idea. By rejecting labels, you make your own label.

    Is labeling oneself an important endeavor where you're from?

    Touché. Laughs.


    Yes, it seems to be. It's actually something that drives me a bit barmy. The urge to classify everything to gain a feeling of familiar comfort. I like a lot of independent music. But, when at shows I always hear people saying "they are the new so and so" or categorizing them under genre's.

    It seems a human inclination to label. Resulting questions seem to be frequently asked of me. So, this is an experiment of expression I suppose.

    I couldn't find a literal translation of the characters you used before my name. Unless it meant: "I do not know the meaning at all". Would you mind to expound?

  2. #12
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Socionics
    SLI
    Posts
    586

    Default

    @Cloudpatrol

    Yes, our tribal minds can't deal with the lack of actual tribes/clans in the modern world, so we look to labeling ourselves as tribal indicators.

    I think it's interesting. Some will create tribes around actions. Some people will create tribes around ideas. etc.

    In your case, creating a tribe of no tribe, which is still a tribe of the imagination.

    That's my theory anyway.

    God speed on your journey/experiment.

    And yes, it means: "I don't get it.." but now I do.
    Likes Cloudpatrol, ChocolateMoose123 liked this post

  3. #13
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Moved a couple shitposts, including one of my own, to OT.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  4. #14
    Senior(ita) Member Cloudpatrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S16M4 View Post
    @Cloudpatrol

    Yes, our tribal minds can't deal with the lack of actual tribes/clans in the modern world, so we look to labeling ourselves as tribal indicators.

    I think it's interesting. Some will create tribes around actions. Some people will create tribes around ideas. etc.

    In your case, creating a tribe of no tribe, which is still a tribe of the imagination.

    That's my theory anyway.

    God speed on your journey/experiment.

    And yes, it means: "I don't get it.." but now I do.
    Smile.

    Thanks!

    I know that I will give further thought to what you said about tribes... It's a compelling theory, Sir.

  5. #15
    Garbage human
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    13,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S16M4 View Post
    @Cloudpatrol

    Yes, our tribal minds can't deal with the lack of actual tribes/clans in the modern world, so we look to labeling ourselves as tribal indicators.

    I think it's interesting. Some will create tribes around actions. Some people will create tribes around ideas. etc.

    In your case, creating a tribe of no tribe, which is still a tribe of the imagination.

    That's my theory anyway.

    God speed on your journey/experiment.

    And yes, it means: "I don't get it.." but now I do.
    She's a one wolf wolfpack



    We're an interesting species though. We love our labels and simultaneously reject too many labels. It's like we have an automatic system of checks and balances built in.
    'When you have no basis for an argument, abuse the plaintiff.'

    -Cicero
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpatrol View Post
    Touché. Laughs.


    Yes, it seems to be. It's actually something that drives me a bit barmy. The urge to classify everything to gain a feeling of familiar comfort. I like a lot of independent music. But, when at shows I always hear people saying "they are the new so and so" or categorizing them under genre's.

    It seems a human inclination to label. Resulting questions seem to be frequently asked of me. So, this is an experiment of expression I suppose.

    I couldn't find a literal translation of the characters you used before my name. Unless it meant: "I do not know the meaning at all". Would you mind to expound?
    Reductionism refers to several related but distinct philosophical positions regarding the connections between phenomena, or theories, "reducing" one to another, usually considered "simpler" or more "basic".[1] The Oxford Companion to Philosophy suggests that it is "one of the most used and abused terms in the philosophical lexicon" and suggests a three part division:[2]
    1.Ontological reductionism: a belief that the whole of reality consists of a minimal number of parts
    2.Methodological reductionism: the scientific attempt to provide explanation in terms of ever smaller entities
    3.Theory reductionism: the suggestion that a newer theory does not replace or absorb the old, but reduces it to more basic terms. Theory reduction itself is divisible into three: translation, derivation and explanation.[3]

    Reductionism can be applied to objects, phenomena, explanations, theories, and meanings.
    Stems from organization and categorization.
    Im out, its been fun
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

  7. #17
    Senior(ita) Member Cloudpatrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anaximander View Post
    Humanist?
    Yeah, although I enjoy the concepts behind that term I don't really identify with it as a determination. I really am a believer of /advocate for = the fair treatment of all living creatures (she types as her cat snuggles closer against her leg )...

    I am not exemplary. I still struggle with figuring out exactly where I stand on many complex issues to do with food industry etc... but I am an "IST" for humans AND "the others".
    Likes asynartetic liked this post

  8. #18
    Garbage human
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    13,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpatrol View Post
    Yeah, although I enjoy the concepts behind that term I don't really identify with it as a determination. I really am a believer of /advocate for = the fair treatment of all living creatures (she types as her cat snuggles closer against her leg )...

    I am not exemplary. I still struggle with figuring out exactly where I stand on many complex issues to do with food industry etc... but I am an "IST" for humans AND "the others".
    I can see how humanist is a bit broad. It pretty much encompasses any decent person who applies the golden rule to their interactions with others. (Obviously there's more to the definition than that)

    My cat approves of your views on animals
    'When you have no basis for an argument, abuse the plaintiff.'

    -Cicero
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

  9. #19
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    I don't get the big deal about labels, personally. Both of my children have one. One has autism, the other has a medical syndrome. (BTW, this is an analogy, not a derail.) The labels are (or should be) value-neutral, and they are there to describe something about them. I've found it helps people not come up with their own value-laden labels for them, like "brat" or "lazy."

    Of course, like some formerly value-neutral labels like retarded, when people start using the label as an insult, maybe it's time to find a new label. As much as it sucks to have to change something that was fine until assholes got to it.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii
    Likes Cloudpatrol, asynartetic, Ravenetta liked this post

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpatrol View Post
    Yeah, although I enjoy the concepts behind that term I don't really identify with it as a determination. I really am a believer of /advocate for = the fair treatment of all living creatures (she types as her cat snuggles closer against her leg )...

    I am not exemplary. I still struggle with figuring out exactly where I stand on many complex issues to do with food industry etc... but I am an "IST" for humans AND "the others".
    We are the people who know that you cannot define what a "Humanist" is outside of abstract ideas does because its 100% situation dependent. Can a Humanist kill a person...yes. Can they condemn killing a person...yes. It all depends on the situation.
    Im out, its been fun
    Likes Cloudpatrol, ChocolateMoose123 liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. non-binary gender (not trans)
    By prplchknz in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 114
    Last Post: 03-25-2015, 09:52 AM
  2. If objective value does not exist, then why become an atheist?
    By Studmuffin23 in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-10-2015, 01:16 AM
  3. gender neutralization in language
    By WALMART in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-16-2014, 02:15 AM
  4. Gender-neutral pronouns
    By Ardea in forum Politics, History, and Current Events (Temporarily Closed)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-27-2009, 12:49 AM
  5. Not again...
    By Martoon in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-23-2007, 07:59 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO