• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Old Way

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Many of these pantheons have also been folded into modern day Paganism, especially deities from a follower's personal cultural background.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have met someone who worshipped Dionysus, and embrace a philosophy of indulgement. It was an interesting spectacle.

I have also been friends with someone who woreshipped Bastet, and was super into Egyptian everything. She was a unique person.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You'd have thought we'd have killed our gods when they became more trouble than they were worth.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
My husband has a cousin involved in Ásatrú where she lives near Seattle. Her husband is from Iceland and she is a first gen American like my husband, with Finnish parents so it wasn't a new concept to her. They were a little reluctant to share much at first, mostly because it's getting hijacked by the shithead right and because they're called heathens and that gets the Christian version of the stink eye in the US. It's very interesting and growing apparently, at least in Iceland.

Mole

Permabanned
I have met someone who worshipped Dionysus, and embrace a philosophy of indulgement. It was an interesting spectacle. I have also been friends with someone who woreshipped Bastet, and was super into Egyptian everything. She was a unique person.

It turns out it is what we don't know we worship that is the most powerful because we become what we worship, and not knowing what we are becoming is as dangerous as it is absurd.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i have a friend who worships norse gods... i have ran into literal sun worshipers... i can think of many people that incorporated a variety of gods into ritual work in a form of worship, but they weren't loyal to a particular pantheon...

post script:

the sunworshipers made this kick ass solar cooked currie... i should have asked more questions about how they made it, but their camp was a two mile hike and i had interesting new people closer...

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My husband has a cousin involved in Ásatrú where she lives near Seattle. Her husband is from Iceland and she is a first gen American like my husband, with Finnish parents so it wasn't a new concept to her. They were a little reluctant to share much at first, mostly because it's getting hijacked by the shithead right and because they're called heathens and that gets the Christian version of the stink eye in the US. It's very interesting and growing apparently, at least in Iceland.

meh, there's always been elements of the far right who like to adopt or co-opt the imagery and language from Celtic, Germanic and Scandinavian traditions and distort it to fit their own narratives and worldviews. I don't think we should let that stop discussion of those traditions. Do that and you are letting them win, conceding that they can have those traditions for themselves. Bullshit. For instance just because some skinhead twat gets a celtic knot tattoo I should stop being interested in celtic imagery and mythology? Fuck that. I've always taken an interest in symbology, religious studies and mythology. Some dipshits on the right (or the left for that matter) aren't going to make me cower from appreciating and discussing those topics.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
meh, there's always been elements of the far right who like to adopt or co-opt the imagery and language from Celtic, Germanic and Scandinavian traditions and distort it to fit their own narratives and worldviews. I don't think we should let that stop discussion of those traditions. Do that and you are letting them win, conceding that they can have those traditions for themselves. Bullshit. For instance just because some skinhead twat gets a celtic knot tattoo I should stop being interested in celtic imagery and mythology? Fuck that. I've always taken an interest in symbology, religious studies and mythology. Some dipshits on the right (or the left for that matter) aren't going to make me cower from appreciating and discussing those topics.

They didn't talk much about their meeting places and what they did in their ceremonies - they told me specifically about this problem. I don't think this was directed at me, they were reluctant to talk to anyone about those things for obvious reasons - they don't want that element co-opted and and have had issues with these people showing up at their ceremonies and worship services. They have a real problem in the Pacific NW, I don't blame them for wanting to keep things quiet.

I'm glad you are cool with just ignoring the cunts on the right but I don't know where you got I was implying to stop being interested in Celtic imagery or mythology because of shithead right. Obviously it isn't stopping the heathens either.

I have no idea why you are getting pissy with me, I just shared my experiences with this particular topic.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They didn't talk much about their meeting places and what they did in their ceremonies - they told me specifically about this problem. I don't think this was directed at me, they were reluctant to talk to anyone about those things for obvious reasons - they don't want that element co-opted and and have had issues with these people showing up at their ceremonies and worship services. They have a real problem in the Pacific NW, I don't blame them for wanting to keep things quiet.

I'm glad you are cool with just ignoring the cunts on the right but I don't know where you got I was implying to stop being interested in Celtic imagery or mythology because of shithead right. Obviously it isn't stopping the heathens either.

I have no idea why you are getting pissy with me, I just shared my experiences with this particular topic.

I wasn't getting pissy. Just following the tone you set. You can't carry on with a certain undertone and then act befuddled when others decide to reply in a similar tone. Also I had no intention of ever bringing politics into this discussion. You did that, I was just replying to you.

cacaia

MBTI Type
NF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yes. The struggle is real. Pagans are seen as "evil" by some Christians. Just the word will do. It's sad, but truly, most if not all Heathens and Pagans in the US have gone through some sort of harassment. Sure, that's what any other religious group might claim, you say. Yes, and knowing us human beings, that is simply how it unfortunately goes.
As for your previous comment, asynartetic, yes, the far right does adopt European traditions, and this is what made me seriously consider another path. I do not want, under any circumstance, to be associated with white supremacists. I don't want to worship something so pure and beautiful as Celtic Wicca with someone who will stand for hatred just because of other people's skin color.
Though I respect the Old Way, and I love its Goddesses and some of its Gods, there just is too much hatred out there. I read about them alone, and I conduct my business alone.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes. The struggle is real. Pagans are seen as "evil" by some Christians. Just the word will do. It's sad, but truly, most if not all Heathens and Pagans in the US have gone through some sort of harassment. Sure, that's what any other religious group might claim, you say. Yes, and knowing us human beings, that is simply how it unfortunately goes.
As for your previous comment, asynartetic, yes, the far right does adopt European traditions, and this is what made me seriously consider another path. I do not want, under any circumstance, to be associated with white supremacists. I don't want to worship something so pure and beautiful as Celtic Wicca with someone who will stand for hatred just because of other people's skin color.
Though I respect the Old Way, and I love its Goddesses and some of its Gods, there just is too much hatred out there. I read about them alone, and I conduct my business alone.
You are mixing up two things: the fact that some white supremacists co-opt the symbolism of legitimate pagan traditions; and who you choose to associate with. I take the middle ground of choosing my spiritual path without regard to the bad name it might get due to these unsavory elements, and choose with care those with whom I share circle. I am a Pagan, and have never personally experienced harassment on that count. I suspect this is because I refuse to apply labels to myself, but instead discuss the substance of my beliefs and practice.

Mole

Permabanned
Ancient Greece was a pagan civilization.It was a civilisation from which we take our cue - so much of what we do was begun in pagan Ancient Greece.

Unfortunately paganism today has degenerated into superstition. Paganism today would not be recognised as paganism by the Ancient Greeks, and certainly not by Hypatia, the pagan librarian of the great pagan library of Alexandria.

Fall in love with the beautiful pagan, Hypatia, devoid of superstition and who discovered the Earth's rotation about the Sun. Just click on YouTube

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ancient Greece was a pagan civilization.It was a civilisation from which we take our cue - so much of what we do was begun in pagan Ancient Greece.

Unfortunately paganism today has degenerated into superstition. Paganism today would not be recognised as paganism by the Ancient Greeks, and certainly not by Hypatia, the pagan librarian of the great pagan library of Alexandria.

Fall in love with the beautiful pagan, Hypatia, devoid of superstition and who discovered the Earth's rotation about the Sun. Just click on YouTube

naw bro, columbus discovered the world was round when he found all those new people to enslave.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am not your brother. And your post seems to reflect an emotional disturbanc.

You don't believe in the Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite introduced by the French Revolution of the Enlightenment? And even if the French Revolutionaries were violent, at least they weren't pederasts like ancient Greeks.

Mole

Permabanned
You don't believe in the Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite introduced by the French Revolution of the Enlightenment? And even if the French Revolutionaries were violent, at least they weren't pederasts like ancient Greeks.
The pagan culture of Ancient Greece taught moderation as the path to well being, while you are modling psychological disturbance.