User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: The Old Way

  1. #11
    Lt. Bligh of HMRN asynartetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Enneagram
    9 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti
    Posts
    14,328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    My husband has a cousin involved in Ásatrú where she lives near Seattle. Her husband is from Iceland and she is a first gen American like my husband, with Finnish parents so it wasn't a new concept to her. They were a little reluctant to share much at first, mostly because it's getting hijacked by the shithead right and because they're called heathens and that gets the Christian version of the stink eye in the US. It's very interesting and growing apparently, at least in Iceland.
    meh, there's always been elements of the far right who like to adopt or co-opt the imagery and language from Celtic, Germanic and Scandinavian traditions and distort it to fit their own narratives and worldviews. I don't think we should let that stop discussion of those traditions. Do that and you are letting them win, conceding that they can have those traditions for themselves. Bullshit. For instance just because some skinhead twat gets a celtic knot tattoo I should stop being interested in celtic imagery and mythology? Fuck that. I've always taken an interest in symbology, religious studies and mythology. Some dipshits on the right (or the left for that matter) aren't going to make me cower from appreciating and discussing those topics.

  2. #12
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    11,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    meh, there's always been elements of the far right who like to adopt or co-opt the imagery and language from Celtic, Germanic and Scandinavian traditions and distort it to fit their own narratives and worldviews. I don't think we should let that stop discussion of those traditions. Do that and you are letting them win, conceding that they can have those traditions for themselves. Bullshit. For instance just because some skinhead twat gets a celtic knot tattoo I should stop being interested in celtic imagery and mythology? Fuck that. I've always taken an interest in symbology, religious studies and mythology. Some dipshits on the right (or the left for that matter) aren't going to make me cower from appreciating and discussing those topics.
    They didn't talk much about their meeting places and what they did in their ceremonies - they told me specifically about this problem. I don't think this was directed at me, they were reluctant to talk to anyone about those things for obvious reasons - they don't want that element co-opted and and have had issues with these people showing up at their ceremonies and worship services. They have a real problem in the Pacific NW, I don't blame them for wanting to keep things quiet.

    I'm glad you are cool with just ignoring the cunts on the right but I don't know where you got I was implying to stop being interested in Celtic imagery or mythology because of shithead right. Obviously it isn't stopping the heathens either.

    I have no idea why you are getting pissy with me, I just shared my experiences with this particular topic.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

  3. #13
    Lt. Bligh of HMRN asynartetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Enneagram
    9 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti
    Posts
    14,328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    They didn't talk much about their meeting places and what they did in their ceremonies - they told me specifically about this problem. I don't think this was directed at me, they were reluctant to talk to anyone about those things for obvious reasons - they don't want that element co-opted and and have had issues with these people showing up at their ceremonies and worship services. They have a real problem in the Pacific NW, I don't blame them for wanting to keep things quiet.

    I'm glad you are cool with just ignoring the cunts on the right but I don't know where you got I was implying to stop being interested in Celtic imagery or mythology because of shithead right. Obviously it isn't stopping the heathens either.

    I have no idea why you are getting pissy with me, I just shared my experiences with this particular topic.
    I wasn't getting pissy. Just following the tone you set. You can't carry on with a certain undertone and then act befuddled when others decide to reply in a similar tone. Also I had no intention of ever bringing politics into this discussion. You did that, I was just replying to you.
    Likes Deprecator liked this post

  4. #14
    Senior Member cacaia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    MBTI
    NF
    Enneagram
    954 so/sp
    Socionics
    EIE None
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Yes. The struggle is real. Pagans are seen as "evil" by some Christians. Just the word will do. It's sad, but truly, most if not all Heathens and Pagans in the US have gone through some sort of harassment. Sure, that's what any other religious group might claim, you say. Yes, and knowing us human beings, that is simply how it unfortunately goes.
    As for your previous comment, asynartetic, yes, the far right does adopt European traditions, and this is what made me seriously consider another path. I do not want, under any circumstance, to be associated with white supremacists. I don't want to worship something so pure and beautiful as Celtic Wicca with someone who will stand for hatred just because of other people's skin color.
    Though I respect the Old Way, and I love its Goddesses and some of its Gods, there just is too much hatred out there. I read about them alone, and I conduct my business alone.

  5. #15
    Liberator Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    24,328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cacaia View Post
    Yes. The struggle is real. Pagans are seen as "evil" by some Christians. Just the word will do. It's sad, but truly, most if not all Heathens and Pagans in the US have gone through some sort of harassment. Sure, that's what any other religious group might claim, you say. Yes, and knowing us human beings, that is simply how it unfortunately goes.
    As for your previous comment, asynartetic, yes, the far right does adopt European traditions, and this is what made me seriously consider another path. I do not want, under any circumstance, to be associated with white supremacists. I don't want to worship something so pure and beautiful as Celtic Wicca with someone who will stand for hatred just because of other people's skin color.
    Though I respect the Old Way, and I love its Goddesses and some of its Gods, there just is too much hatred out there. I read about them alone, and I conduct my business alone.
    You are mixing up two things: the fact that some white supremacists co-opt the symbolism of legitimate pagan traditions; and who you choose to associate with. I take the middle ground of choosing my spiritual path without regard to the bad name it might get due to these unsavory elements, and choose with care those with whom I share circle. I am a Pagan, and have never personally experienced harassment on that count. I suspect this is because I refuse to apply labels to myself, but instead discuss the substance of my beliefs and practice.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  6. #16
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    19,853

    Default

    Ancient Greece was a pagan civilization.It was a civilisation from which we take our cue - so much of what we do was begun in pagan Ancient Greece.

    Unfortunately paganism today has degenerated into superstition. Paganism today would not be recognised as paganism by the Ancient Greeks, and certainly not by Hypatia, the pagan librarian of the great pagan library of Alexandria.

    Fall in love with the beautiful pagan, Hypatia, devoid of superstition and who discovered the Earth's rotation about the Sun. Just click on YouTube
    Likes cacaia liked this post

  7. #17
    ha-ha-hoo Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    11,720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Ancient Greece was a pagan civilization.It was a civilisation from which we take our cue - so much of what we do was begun in pagan Ancient Greece.

    Unfortunately paganism today has degenerated into superstition. Paganism today would not be recognised as paganism by the Ancient Greeks, and certainly not by Hypatia, the pagan librarian of the great pagan library of Alexandria.

    Fall in love with the beautiful pagan, Hypatia, devoid of superstition and who discovered the Earth's rotation about the Sun. Just click on YouTube
    naw bro, columbus discovered the world was round when he found all those new people to enslave.
    A path is made by walking on it.

    -Zhuangzi



  8. #18
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    19,853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak View Post
    naw bro, columbus discovered the world was round when he found all those new people to enslave.
    I am not your brother. And your post seems to reflect an emotional disturbanc.

  9. #19
    ha-ha-hoo Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    11,720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    I am not your brother. And your post seems to reflect an emotional disturbanc.
    You don't believe in the Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite introduced by the French Revolution of the Enlightenment? And even if the French Revolutionaries were violent, at least they weren't pederasts like ancient Greeks.
    A path is made by walking on it.

    -Zhuangzi



  10. #20
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    19,853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak View Post
    You don't believe in the Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite introduced by the French Revolution of the Enlightenment? And even if the French Revolutionaries were violent, at least they weren't pederasts like ancient Greeks.
    The pagan culture of Ancient Greece taught moderation as the path to well being, while you are modling psychological disturbance.

Similar Threads

  1. [NT] What's the best way of deciding between INTJ and ENTJ?
    By Ezra in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 01-17-2011, 07:44 AM
  2. [MBTItm] SFs: What's the best way to persuade you?
    By rivercrow in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-20-2008, 05:25 PM
  3. I hope this is better, sorry about the old post.
    By SeanMC86 in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-29-2008, 07:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO