• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What was Socrates view on morality in The Republic?

WobblyStilettos

MBTI Type
INFP
Philosophy assignment due in tomorrow :redface: I've gotta outline and evaluate the diff views on what morality is according to the various characters, focusing on Glaucon's 3 thought experiments and I have to (reasonably breifly) mention what Socrates' reply was. If any of you wonderful geniuses (looking at you, NTs) happen to know, I would appreciate a little shove in the right direction :D

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
No but really, good luck with the paper. I can offer no help for you. :/

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
If the teacher is asking "What was Socrates view on morality?" than just write a paper asking a series of clever questions that point her in a certain direction so she can answer it herself. Socratic method ftw.

S

Sniffles

I'm too lazy to look in my copy of the Republic. I know a colleague who mastered in the Classics who would know, but the answer wouldn't arrive untill tomorrow at least.

Long story short: one major theme of Socrate's discussions on morality was the fact he staunchly opposed the Sophist position of what we today would call "moral relativism". Socrates argued that there was indeed an universal sense of morality that applied to all people.

Hope this helps.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I too have read The Republic, but god is Socrates long-winded. It's hard to define anyhting in simple terms.

Aside from the fact that he had an absolutist view of morality, I recall that he also believed in virtue ethics. That is to say, that some qualities are inherently good for a man to have, like wisdom, regardless of things such as pleasure.

Not that Socrates was above using happiness to motivate people. One thing I distinctly recall him saying is that relief from pain is not true pleasure, and loss of pleasure is not true pain. Those who think otherwise are misguided.

WobblyStilettos

MBTI Type
INFP
Thanks you, lovely people :D assignment is finished and handed in :banana:

I swear that assignment was way to hard to give to a load of 16 yr olds who have only been studying philosophy for just over a month :shock: no wonder my college has the highest suicide rate in the country xD