• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you consider that there is a dichotomy between...

Lark

Love and power?

I've read some interesting accounts which suggest that there is a dichotomy between love and power, that love can not compel whereas power does nothing other than compel, ultimately, in this theory, love prevails and is the greater of the two as power can not compel love, no matter how much it may seek to.

And, in this theory, it does seek to, this is why there is the confusing behaviour from all those who are dedicated to the pursuit of power, whether is a school yard bully or a concentration camp commandant, to expect that violence, compulsion, will be reciprocated with love, devotion and not simply capitulation, compliance or submission to commands.

While love requires trust, power can not trust because power expects all others to employing the same manipulations and compulsion as it does, so even in instances where, bizarrely, violence and compulsion does prompt some kind of love or devotion it will never be trusted to be such and therefore will provoke greater violence and compulsion until it results in (for the author of the violence) catastrophic loss of some kind, either the subject dies or leaves (sometimes the leaving will motivate homicide).

Love, on the other hand, implies or involves a freedom on either party, the author or the subject of the love and devotion, either can go and it should not be an occasion for catastrophic loss. This is a different idea to love in a lot of romantic sources, however, which would consider it to involve catastrophic loss, or it is not love, at least not le grande amoire.

What is your thinking about this? This is a little bit of a rude summary of what I've read in a number of different sources which seem to converge upon the same points, have you read anything similar or have you reached any similar conclusions?

I have read some similar dichotomies which use different terms and language, like Eric Berne's idea that you can either be a gamesplayer or engage with others in truth, it all seems to be a contrasting of the normal (which does not mean typical but I think is some how virtuous in character) and pathological (which strangely seems to be more typical in the sense of commonplace, much of the time the successful or prosperous are those who master or at least conform to this type well enough).

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Love, on the other hand, implies or involves a freedom on either party, the author or the subject of the love and devotion, either can go and it should not be an occasion for catastrophic loss. This is a different idea to love in a lot of romantic sources, however, which would consider it to involve catastrophic loss, or it is not love, at least not le grande amoire.

I wholeheartedly agree with love in action requiring freedom. Without that, it's not a choice to act on the feeling, it loses meaning, it ceases to be what I consider love. The feeling of true love can not be compelled purposely by the subject. It can't be planned or forced. It may be compelled simply by the natures of those involved. The feeling is not a choice, only the actions taken in response. And so, I completely disagree with the loss not being catastrophic. One may find a beautiful satisfaction in giving love, even if it's not identically reciprocated, but losing the presence of that love, where one may find such soul fulfilling meaning, beauty, happiness, and joy, how could it not be catastrophic emotionally?

Lark

I wholeheartedly agree with love in action requiring freedom. Without that, it's not a choice to act on the feeling, it loses meaning, it ceases to be what I consider love. The feeling of true love can not be compelled purposely by the subject. It can't be planned or forced. It may be compelled simply by the natures of those involved. The feeling is not a choice, only the actions taken in response. And so, I completely disagree with the loss not being catastrophic. One may find a beautiful satisfaction in giving love, even if it's not identically reciprocated, but losing the presence of that love, where one may find such soul fulfilling meaning, beauty, happiness, and joy, how could it not be catastrophic emotionally?

This is kind of my thinking on this topic, although logically speaking to be consistent with the idea of freedom the element of compulsion, excluding any external factor and considering only an internal drive or trigger for a moment, ought to be absent too.

The different sources that I've read all talk about "standing in love, not falling in love", "love as a mutually creative principle" and all the alternative sorts of love, especially as celebrated in literature (which I'd not realised has such an incredibly black history associated with the romantics especially of suicide, death, duels etc.) are kinds of mania or unreasoning breakdowns.

The dichotomy at that point is pretty much healthy/unhealthy.

I'm kind of thinking that most people engage in a share of each, perhaps even with the same people/subjects.