• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Minimalism, the philosophy and the practice

Lark

What do you think about minimalism, as a philosophy or a practice, do you think you could apply it? Would you want to? Or can you think of good arguments against it?

I've read that the "rich", people with plenty of resources and the ability to "have it all" if they wanted, actually practice forms of minimalism themselves. At least they may not own the things they use but hire them, I know there's a big difference between that and going without in the first place though.

I've read, in "Goodbye Things", that some of the practitioners manage to reduce their entire possessions or ownership to ten things or less!

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I never think of minimalism as a philosophy. More as a practice in my home and life as in a minimal amount of clutter. Including the clutter of people and drama and voluntary embellishment. I don't particularly care about what others do in this regard although some take minimalism to fetish levels, I see that as an anxiety laden reaction to the amount of "stuff" and maybe being overwhelmed by choices.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
No. I'm a packrat by inclination and I kind of like it that way. It's not necessarily that it's the most expensive stuff, but I feel like it gives me options. I do think I need to be more organized, but there's a certain amount of minimalism that just makes everything seem bare and empty. I think some people go too far.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Aesthetically minimalism can be very appealing, it can feel clean, tranquil, but it can also be austere and boring, much in the same way a certain amount of artistic clutter can feel bohemian, or comfortably lived in. I often find minimalism to be most rewarding when done in a way that compliments and enhances the energy of the room, plants are also nice. Practically it can be convenient if everything important to you can be fit into a suitcase and bug out bag. But it can also be depressing. In the end it's like everything else. It is what it is, make of it what thou wilt.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What do you think about minimalism, as a philosophy or a practice, do you think you could apply it? Would you want to? Or can you think of good arguments against it?
What exactly do you mean by minimalism?

I never think of minimalism as a philosophy. More as a practice in my home and life as in a minimal amount of clutter. Including the clutter of people and drama and voluntary embellishment. I don't particularly care about what others do in this regard although some take minimalism to fetish levels, I see that as an anxiety laden reaction to the amount of "stuff" and maybe being overwhelmed by choices.
If only the clutter of people and drama could be relegated to the corner as quickly as physical clutter can be relegated to the closet or even the trashcan.

Aesthetically minimalism can be very appealing, it can feel clean, tranquil, but it can also be austere and boring, much in the same way a certain amount of artistic clutter can feel bohemian, or comfortably lived in. I often find minimalism to be most rewarding when done in a way that compliments and enhances the energy of the room, plants are also nice. Practically it can be convenient if everything important to you can be fit into a suitcase and bug out bag. But it can also be depressing. In the end it's like everything else. It is what it is, make of it what thou wilt.
Austerity and boredom are hardly synonomous. The opposite of minimalism can be quite cacophanous, to all senses.

To answer both you and the OP a bit more directly, I favor form that follows function, or at least doesn't impede it in any way in its effort to be aesthetically appealing or unusual. In this way, I am willing to have around me the things that are necessary and convenient for doing the things I want to do, but not much more. Any clutter, then, becomes needful and purposeful, and can be cleared away when a task is done and I move on to the next.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
What exactly do you mean by minimalism?

If only the clutter of people and drama could be relegated to the corner as quickly as physical clutter can be relegated to the closet or even the trashcan.

Austerity and boredom are hardly synonomous. The opposite of minimalism can be quite cacophanous, to all senses.

To answer both you and the OP a bit more directly, I favor form that follows function, or at least doesn't impede it in any way in its effort to be aesthetically appealing or unusual. In this way, I am willing to have around me the things that are necessary and convenient for doing the things I want to do, but not much more. Any clutter, then, becomes needful and purposeful, and can be cleared away when a task is done and I move on to the next.

Bingpot. You get it Cor ^_^

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Yes.To an unhealthy degree.

When things get to cluttered, in a effort to restore my sanity, I will start throwing away things which do not have an immediate place.

My Grandmother's place ( where I grew up) looked like a damned museum. Nothing was ever] out of place. All surfaces were spotless, shiny, and never, ever used as storage. Even in the kitchen nothing ever just belonged on the counter. If we didn't have the storage space for something, we didn't get it.

I've had a hard time coming to terms with the reality; that is not normal, nor a reasonable standard, at least from other people. It's actually caused me some...I don't want to say "anxiety" because that sounds a bit dramatic but that's what it seems like, as I react very irrationally.

If I feel like a single thing is out of place I CANNOT focus on any other task. Yet I know that something will always be out of place. So I end up spinning my heels driving my self crazy and doing nothing. In an instance that I do know exactly what is out of place, I will fix it and then...do nothing. Because doing something will make a mess.

So...I just kind of...sit there too afraid to touch anything.

Now that I've typed that "out loud" that sounds just a little fucking nutts.