• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

If someone injures you, what should your response be?

Lark

If someone injuries you how should you respond? Consider that it is grievously but not so much as to make it impossible to respond.

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
If you're feeling generous, look at the injurious subject with disdain, frown upon its existence by raising an eyebrow and just carry on with your day.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i think the nature of the injury, how/why it was inflicted, the nature of the relationship (if any) that exists, percieved consequences of action or inaction, and likely a dozen or so other things ought to be considered...

c5f8984ed53e8808b763608e3528d814--dolls-and-dollhouses-antique-toys.jpg

show us on the doll where they hurt you... okay, that wasn't that funny... seriously though, are you doing okay?

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If someone emotionally hurts me, I shut down and leave generally afterwards, and avoid that person for a while. Sometimes playing it off. If I cannot leave and continue to be confronted, I sometimes try to shut down the conversation and state why. Sometimes lashing out if its injust or violates one of my principles. Though this lashing out fills me with negativity and irritation. If someone has gotten under my skin, I react with anger and lose all trust for someone. I like to consider myself emotionally strong, but sometimes I can feel too intense.

Being physically harmed trips a primal switch in me (and 22 years of repressed anger), that throws me into a psychotic rage. Though I can resist doing something irreversible, I know how violent, cold, and intoxicating my anger can be. It would result in serious injury, if not death if I snapped.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It can help to ask the question of self respect. What response helps you walk away with your sense of self intact?

If a person inflicts pain/harm and I respond to them, do I go away with self-respect or does it make me feel like they powered over me again, or that I was forced to appease them? If it makes me feel that I took the higher road and go away with self-respect then I'll respond.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i think the nature of the injury, how/why it was inflicted, the nature of the relationship (if any) that exists, percieved consequences of action or inaction, and likely a dozen or so other things ought to be considered...
I was thinking along similar lines. In general, my approach would be to start by treating the injury/problem to prevent further damage and correct damage done. Then identifying the cause and taking steps to prevent recurrence. What exactly these steps entail depends on the factors you mentioned.

Lark

c5f8984ed53e8808b763608e3528d814--dolls-and-dollhouses-antique-toys.jpg

show us on the doll where they hurt you... okay, that wasn't that funny... seriously though, are you doing okay?

Yeah. This is just an abstract question.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Emotional: I'll confront them about it, and if they won't humor why they did what they did then I'll distance myself and numb them out because it's clearly not worth it
Physically: Depends on what happened and why and who did it

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Is this a shit test? lol

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For severe, intentional, intangible emotional injuries or whatever, eye for an eye and/or doorslamming.

There's an "I ain't got time for this shit" aspect there, but clearly I do have at least some time for that shit if I'm out for blood.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Intent matters greatly to me.

If you harm me, physically or emotionally, unintentionally, despite hurting, I find it very easy to forgive and move on so long as they acknowledge it and apologize -- it's done, over with, and we're going to continue on as we were with no passive resentment.

If someone hurts me and they are ill-intended, I can be very vindictive and will make it a mission to seek revenge even if the opportunity to do so is not immediately present. That's one aspect about myself that I recognize as a real negative, yet I operate on such a "live and let live" philosophy that if you do severe enough to merit that response from me, chances are you've done something to really deserve it.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Intent matters greatly to me.

If you harm me, physically or emotionally, unintentionally, despite hurting, I find it very easy to forgive and move on so long as they acknowledge it and apologize -- it's done, over with, and we're going to continue on as we were with no passive resentment.
An apology to me is just words. Worthless unless backed up by taking responsibility, understanding why they did what they did and how to prevent it in future, and doing what they can to make things right. If they do all of that, the apology itself is unnecessary. If they don't, it is meaningless.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
An apology to me is just words. Worthless unless backed up by taking responsibility, understanding why they did what they did and how to prevent it in future, and doing what they can to make things right. If they do all of that, the apology itself is unnecessary. If they don't, it is meaningless.

Perhaps I should clarify.

An apologize in and of itself is meaningless if not genuine. Acknowledging the wrongdoing is most important, followed by some attempt to rectify the situation (a direct apology can be sufficient, yet other methods of rectification are acceptable)