• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Trophy Hunting: "What is your view on hunting? Do animals have soul's?

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Trophy Hunting: "What is your view on hunting? How do we reach a hunter’s heart and moral conscious? Should animals be considered as having a soul Thus it tantamount of being immoral to kill for mere sport or entertainment. Do you believe in your heart animals have emotions and are capable of having feelings? Should animals gain rights?"

Quote:
"Today more than ever before, life must be characterized by a sense of Universal Responsibility, not only Nation to Nation and human to human, but also human to all other forms of life." Dalai Lama​

Quote:
"As custodians of the planet it is our responsibility to deal with all species with kindness, love and compassion. That these animals suffer through human cruelty is beyond understanding." Richard Gere

Quote:
“He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.” Immanuel Kant

Quote:
“We must fight against the spirit of unconscious cruelty with which we treat the animals. Animals suffer as much as we do. True humanity does not allow us to impose such sufferings on them. It is our duty to make the whole world recognize it. Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace." Albert Schweitzer

Quote:
"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." Abraham Lincoln

Quote:
"If we dare to look into those eyes then we shall feel their suffering in our hearts. More and more people have seen that appeal and felt it in their hearts. All around the world there is an awakening of understanding and compassion and understanding that reaches out to help the suffering animals in their vanishing homelands. That embraces hungry, sick and desperate human beings, people who are starving while the fortunate among us have so much more than we need.

And if, one by one, we help them the hurting animals, the desperate humans then together we shall alleviate so much of the hunger, fear and pain in the world. Together we can bring change to the world gradually replacing fear and hatred with compassion and love. Love for all living beings." Jane Goodall

"No one species should not dominate the earth at the expense of this planet's bio-diversity, mega-fauna and life in general. I am a proponent of population control. I speak metaphorically but to me animals have just as much a soul as a human being. I personally do not find it agreeable but hunting for food is at least understandable. Instead animal kind hunted in sport in order to take a bodily trophy such as a head, rugs, etc., is a disrespect for life. People are different and live with very different values and in answering questions on what is right and wrong. A person who hunts reality is as real as those who are aghast at their actions.

Neither arguing nor bickering will change the other person's outlook. To label and judge them in a harsh way accomplishes nothing. To take the other's position I recognize that regulated and manageable hunting helps species thrive which without species could very well go extinct. In my own mind people who do these acts rationalize and deny it away and think of it as being just normal on their part. Of my many humanitarian ideals is environmental viability. We have not given this issue serious attention, priority nor resources for animal right's. We rank 74th in Ecosystem Sustainability in the company of fellow nations. There are a number of factors here.

How we interact with animals in inhumane ways shows a lack of conscious on the part of our nation. We simply haven't been awake nor shook up enough to get shocked and let this sink through so that we can make the right's of animals a humanitarian focal point.Then there are the ever present lobbying groups that are advocate's and spokesperson's for issuing hunting permits for exotic animals. To me to hunt for merely mounting trophies in an act of pride is a moral blind spot. This being said I am highly against poaching and do think it is an immoral act with no foresight or care of consequences to our planet's wildlife.

It's anti-ethical to what I stand and believe in. The main tenant making killing animals profitable for killing and thereafter mounting a trophy head's on a mantel. The beings who do this are actually proud of their acts. Hunting in thus manner boosts their self esteem and the individual's derive a diseased rush from their acts. It is upsetting on how we treat as well be abusive with animals. Even at our SPCA's there are gross depravities on how human beings abuse or neglect animals when we're supposed to be stewards as well protector's. This is human sickness of the soul. How do we reach a hunter’s heart and moral conscious? One is out of touch with our interrelationship with all life on this planet."

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I absolutely do not support trophy hunting, with rare exceptions (pays for conservation in counties like Africa).

I think everything has the right to live. Yes animals have souls, depending on how you define it.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I absolutely do not support trophy hunting, with rare exceptions (pays for conservation in counties like Africa).

I think mainly of people hunting in Africa when I hear "trophy hunting." I guess killing giant deer in the states is also trophy hunting. The deer hunters would tell you that they are conserving the wildlife too by decreasing the population of overabundant species. Then, they have to pay money to hunt the deer too, so maybe it supports the economy in America.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't have an issue with hunting if people intend to use the animals' parts but hunting solely for a trophy to mount on a wall doesn't sit well with me. A pointless and barbaric reason to kill animals. I do understand the necessity of hunting certain animals in order to better maintain a balance, for instance in North America where we've eradicated the wolf populations, it's necessary to hunt deer so they don't expand and face starvation due to a lack of food. Also, populations of smaller animals like rabbits who have no remaining natural predators left need to be kept in check.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I oppose any action that inflicts suffering on another living being, and that includes many forms of hunting. I also think it is in extremely poor taste to kill for the sake of trophies, rugs, and heads to be hung on the wall.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think mainly of people hunting in Africa when I hear "trophy hunting." I guess killing giant deer in the states is also trophy hunting. The deer hunters would tell you that they are conserving the wildlife too by decreasing the population of overabundant species. Then, they have to pay money to hunt the deer too, so maybe it supports the economy in America.

Many people also hunt deer for food, and the bigger the better. In a way, it does help control the population. Like that instance in Yellowstone, since the wolves were hunted to near extinction. The deer destroyed the place.

I am not against hunting for food, as long as the populations are respected.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Trophy hunting is repellent. Period. But I'm using the definition of trophy hunting as:

Trophy hunting is hunting of wild game for human recreation. The trophy is the animal or part of the animal kept, and usually displayed, to represent the success of the hunt.

The whole trophy hunting to provide meat or income for a group of people idea is also repellent and I'll tell you why. There is very little money going towards anything like they claim. Groups claim conservation because of incentive to preserve wildlife habitat instead of developing it. Someone is going to come in and develop in a national park or protected wild animal reserve in any country? I doubt it. Then again it's generally American conservation logic being used in places that aren't America. It also does nothing to address poachers going after horns or hides or shit people with enough money to evade any responsibility. But then again, the US places little value on human life so none of this is surprising.

Here is another argument I hear a lot. People that claim that only a small percentage of animals are being hunted. Or that Americans aren't doing most of the killing.

Trophy' hunters are killing 70,000 animals ever year - Business Insider

Over the past 15 years, 1.2 million animals have been killed by Americans who traveled overseas to snag their trophies, according to a thoroughly chilling investigation by NBC Bay Area.
That breaks down to about 70,000 animals each year. Many of these animals are endangered, threatened or near-threatened species.

I'd like to add that I'm ONLY talking about trophy hunting, not hunting for food from animals that are not endangered, such as deer or fish.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
guess I should've clarified I don't support hunting of endangered species. Whatever.

If you want to trophy hunt- make it interesting. You want to bag a lion? Hunt it with a spear. Don’t shoot it from several hundred yards out. If you can’t even the playing field so it’s an actual hunt and not simply a slaughter (so you can mutilate the king of the jungle and brag to friends) maybe you shouldn’t be out there. I actually don’t condone it in any fashion but I’d be interested in how many of these ‘hunters’ would still be willing to engage a large predator without an unfair advantage. Not many I’m wagering.

Hunting animals you intend to eat and use the hide of is responsible hunting. You waste nothing. If you’re spiritual, thank the beast. Sometimes culling a particular animal population is necessary, but there’s a difference between hunting animals and slaughtering them for your own sadistic entertainment needs (just ask Dick Cheney).

Yes if I believe we have souls. (I’d like to believe it isn’t all over at the moment of death- like hitting a light switch to off) I would never be pompous enough to assume animals don’t also have souls. What audacity to say that you’re worthy of ascension to something else but your husky isn’t. Why? An ape that walks upright and tells other apes what it ate for lunch on social media is more enlightened than a happy go lucky tail wagging pooch? I don’t see dogs creating nuclear weapons. Hell, 9 times out of 10 I’d prefer their company. Other animals are very pure in their motivations, even if that motivation is to eat you.

rav3n

I'm against trophy hunting, particularly for threatened species. No problems with well managed sustainable sustenance hunting, particularly for invasive species. Examples would be rabbits in Australia, bullfrogs and feral hogs in non-native locations. They need to be hunted since they do a lot of damage without natural predators.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I hate trophy hunting.

I don't even like regular hunting.

Ugh

Rather find other ways to eat.

But if there's no other way I understand. Given certain circumstances. But not just for sport.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

I think everything has the right to live. Yes animals have souls, depending on how you define it.

I Exolvuntur do not hold to any one creed or religious view. I take the very best which comes from religious sayings originating from all faiths and secular wisdom stemming via quotations. I also assimilate knowledge coming from various fields of expertise. This being said I like the Native American and Pagan view's on nature. Native people's believe all life as being sacred and as being interrelated.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I oppose any action that inflicts suffering on another living being, and that includes many forms of hunting. I also think it is in extremely poor taste to kill for the sake of trophies, rugs, and heads to be hung on the wall.

"I echo your written sentiments. Trophy hunting for me is anti-ethical to my core. Polaris I don't fully understand how trophy hunting holds such charm for hunting advocates. It is in my view immoral. What's more it is a disrespect of living creatures who have as much right to live on this planet as the human race. I however know that to hunting aficionados their acts are merely normal. In my opinion this is signifying blind spots in awareness and making the use of rationalization along with denial."

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Trophy hunting is repellent. Period. But I'm using the definition of trophy hunting as:

The whole trophy hunting to provide meat or income for a group of people idea is also repellent and I'll tell you why. There is very little money going towards anything like they claim. Groups claim conservation because of incentive to preserve wildlife habitat instead of developing it. Someone is going to come in and develop in a national park or protected wild animal reserve in any country? I doubt it. Then again it's generally American conservation logic being used in places that aren't America. It also does nothing to address poachers going after horns or hides or shit people with enough money to evade any responsibility. But then again, the US places little value on human life so none of this is surprising.

Here is another argument I hear a lot. People that claim that only a small percentage of animals are being hunted. Or that Americans aren't doing most of the killing.

Trophy' hunters are killing 70,000 animals ever year - Business Insider

I'd like to add that I'm ONLY talking about trophy hunting, not hunting for food from animals that are not endangered, such as deer or fish.

"These animals suffer ceecee. I believe that they have emotions. We may have bigger brains, but since the more primitive basic brain design has emotion, then it stands to reason animals have powerful and special unique emotions and feelings. If we had any moral responsibility, critical thought and showed compassion then we would act responsibly and ethical as stewards for wild life of this magnificent world we ALL live on: animals, plants, humanity and the diverse and sensitive ecosystems.

We used to have a million elephants and now it's down to under 450,000, lions from a population of 110,000 to a mere 30,000 currently, leopards had 80,600 in numbers are now down to 23,664, tigers from a population of 45,000 are down to a dangerous 3,200 and jaguars having a population of 60,000 are down to only 15,000 and this all the while we have approaching 8,000,000,000 human beings on the planet."