• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Veterans: Do you find it disrespectful?

Metis

Do you find it disrespectful if non-veterans wear "Veteran" clothing?

For example, a elderly man I know bought two Vietnam veteran hats and had me pick one, and asked me to promise to wear it on Veterans' Day. I told him, "Veterans might be offended when they see me, because I'm not a veteran." He said, "No, they'll feel honored." I doubted it, but I wore it that same year for Veterans' Day.

The only comment someone made was that I looked a little young to be a Vietnam veteran, and it was from someone younger than myself, who said it in a good-natured tone.

One other person spat on the ground as she passed by, but it could very well have been a coincidence, since this happened in the woods, and people were hiking. Regardless, if she did spit because of my hat, it wasn't because she was a veteran who thought I shouldn't wear it. That's not how someone would likely express that.

If you're a veteran, what do you think? If you saw someone who clearly wasn't a Vietnam veteran wearing a hat that said Vietnam Veteran, would you think it was disrespectful?

It reminds me of the "Cultural Appropriation" discussion:

Reminds me of the saying that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

One of my oldest friends is Indian and introduced me both to many Indian recipes, and Indian clothing. I now have a small wardrobe of sarees and salwar kameez outfits that I freely wear, usually for festive occasions. (I haven't been quite as successful following her recipes.) Honestly, I have never thought anything of it, but then it always seemed if real Indians are encouraging me, all is good.

Last edited:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you find it disrespectful if non-veterans wear "Veteran" clothing?

For example, a elderly man I know bought two Vietnam veteran hats and had me pick one, and asked me to promise to wear it on Veterans' Day. I told him, "Veterans might be offended when they see me, because I'm not a veteran." He said, "No, they'll feel honored." I doubted it, but I wore it that same year for Veterans' Day.

The only comment someone made was that I looked a little young to be a Vietnam veteran, and it was from someone younger than myself, who said it in a good-natured tone.

One other person spat on the ground as she passed by, but it could very well have been a coincidence, since this happened in the woods, and people were hiking. Regardless, if she did spit because of my hat, it wasn't because she was a veteran who thought I shouldn't wear it. That's not how someone would likely express that.

If you're a veteran, what do you think? If you saw someone who clearly wasn't a Vietnam veteran wearing a hat that said Vietnam Veteran, would you think it was disrespectful?

It reminds me of the "Cultural Appropriation" discussion:
I guess I don't know what you mean by a "veteran's hat". Uniforms are not cultural elements like sarees or dirndl dresses. When a clothing item denotes a role (e.g. soldier, police officer, nurse, clergy, even store employee) I think it best that only those actually performing the role wear it, simply to avoid confusion. I have read that actual veterans are entitled to wear whatever was their last uniform worn on duty. I have done this only once, for a 9/11 commemoration ceremony where I was the only veteran available to take an active role in the proceedings.

All this to say, if the "veteran's hat" to which you refer is actually a uniform element, I would consider it incorrect for you to wear it. Likewise, if it denotes membership in some specific veterans' group like American Legion or VFW, I would also consider wearing it incorrect. If it is neither, and just a commemorative item, perhaps distributed to veterans after the war/conflict, then I would feel free to wear it if it is meaningful to you and you have a good reason. Either way, someone is certain not to like it, and others are certain to appreciate the sentiment.

Lark

I've known people who dislike people who're not service men and women wearing army surplus clothing.

I dont really care and dont think people should be that sensitive about these sorts of things, there's much, much more significant things at stake and much, much more serious ways that people can give offence to others.

Live and let die.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
My veteran son says he doesn't think it's disrespectful anymore than the people that consider camo a fashion statement. :shrug:

Lark

It's not surplus and not part of a uniform. It's a hat that's marketed to veterans, and they sometimes buy them.

I do care. While I don't have the same concern for the feelings of people who are prone to taking offense willfully at every opportunity, I do care about legitimately offending people who are not histrionic about taking offense, but who may see my hat and feel a pang of "but you weren't there when Joe died" and might feel that it's not my place to go around wearing it.

Rude.

Yeah, I know that its not army surplus, I was using that as an example of how the approval/disapproval thing can extend beyond the form of dress you'd described.

OK. Well, thanks for caring.

I dont think its rude. I think people should be prepared for how freedom works, for them, for other people. I'm not talking about killing people, through malicious actions or neglect or anything like that, just accepting that people can go their own way and they frequently do.

- - - Updated - - -

My veteran son says he doesn't think it's disrespectful anymore than the people that consider camo a fashion statement. :shrug:

See that's what I was referencing, pretty much.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"Veteran hat":
I don't know that I would consider it disrespectful, but if if the implication is that the hat wearer is him/herself a veteran, I would consider it misleading to wear it if you are not. I can see where some people might consider that disrespectful, similar to wearing a "cancer survivor" t-shirt at a Relay for Life when you are not in fact a cancer survivor. There are usually plenty of other shirts, hats, buttons, etc. that one can get to show support without misrepresenting yourself.

I should note here, though, that I am particularly resistant to doing this sort of thing personally. I never wear any clothing with writing or images other than small manufacturer labels (e.g. "Lee" on the waistband of a pair of jeans), unless I am doing it explicitly to show affiliation with a group, for instance wearing the t-shirt of a volunteer group picking up trash in the park. The only exception is when I am working out, when I will wear t-shirts without much regard to what is on them.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks for your thoughts. I know no one's going to mistake me for a Vietnam veteran. Still, I don't want it to be read as some kind of cheap fashion statement.
If it is understood that friends and supporters also wear the hats to show support, then it should be fine.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think non-veterans find it more offensive than actual veterans.

I living in a military family, and Ive got vet hats, as well as actual uniform clothing. All given to me by veterans for me to wear. I cherish my warriors hat quite a bit.

71rtVUOZkQL._UX679_.jpg

Its lowkey too. I dont think I would wear an actual "im a veteran" hat though.