• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Wise sayings which are false and indeed erroneous.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I also need to say that I love how [MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION] applied logic to these idioms... idk but I wish more people could see this done so they could begin to understand or understand in a more meaningful way that there’s great value in doing so. That logic isn’t a secret language of some exclusive club... but that everyone should be *doing the logic*.
I don't think a day goes by when I don't hear or see something that shows me how resistant some people are to this, or perhaps they never learned or developed the habit. Using logic, or more broadly critical thinking, is a skill like any other, that can be learned and improved upon and incorporated into one's lifestyle and daily habits. I feel like shaking people sometimes when they appear quite oblivious of cause-effect relationships that are staring them in the face, or (to get at the rest of your post) don't even bother to consider what something really means and how it might easily be misinterpreted. Logic is a tool, a process, that will get you only so far, but is essential for any progress. I suppose that makes it not sufficient, but definitely necessary.

Permabanned
Context.

People can, and do, get triggered by anything, for numerous reasons. It's a choice, even if unconscious.

:shrug:

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
'Truth or unproven myth?'

(10) "Love is the only channel to usher peace. Love is the answer. And the world shall be a better place."

"Good friends I at certain instances have run into people that feel love is an answer and that if we can reach the state of pure love this world will change. Agape compassion and love of not only human kind but for all life forms is an admirable quality. Love by itself and by not training the mind is blind. We have been led astray all through history by those that proclaimed love or were doing in our best interests. Meanwhile they were led astray by an untrained mind cognizant of their personal subconscious thinking.

All manner of evil has been done in the name of love and good intentions. Thus actions were done under the guise of emotional reasoning, denial, rationalization and being led by their own very blind spots. An alternative view is to use thinking alone and using human reason exclusively in making human decisions. This disengages people from their interconnections to all of life, not just man. In empathy truer understanding of each individual circumstance comes into the light before making a discernment. I call empathy and reason two parts of the whole.One without the other part is hampered. This Agape compassion mixed with reason shall eventually lead toward wisdom and a truer free soul.

My own thought on love and reason here is as thus, I believe in a duality. I can see how love can be perceived to solve all the world’s problems. We should love one another and give of our hearts. We are interrelated but also a self-serving species. Wisdom has to come into the fray. Without a balance therein lays chaos. I've always been a proponent of strengthening Agape compassion with empathy skills training as well strengthening our critical use of reason. One without the other is crippled. A mindful approach is to be aware of our sub-conscious thinking by rooting out our individual thought distortions. This is a taught skill.

There's no two ways about it. Think of it as an analogy people are like computer software. People have the thinking capacity of only the data entered into them. Think of mental discipline as akin to the martial arts. Our brain is a muscle that must be taught how to use critical reasoning. It is a learned discipline. It is not innate. Those that don't embrace changes with the introduction of cognitive discipline and empathy skills being presented to our young are resistant to change. They don't know that if the changes were developed it would become the norm and we would have a healthier society mental health wise. This nation would have far away more balanced people who are hypothetically happier.

It is evident there are many dysfunctional families that blithely go on their way due to blind spots and rationalization. If one is not taught critical thinking skills then we rely on mere rote memorization of facts. We learn knowledge from education but not true wisdom which comes in part by learning how to train our mind to use critical thinking. My penchant is for an educational system teaching both the Mind: critical thinking and reason and Heart: empathy skills and learning the art of active listening. A primary reason I've espoused to learn cognitive mindfulness and empathy in our education system. "Tell me what to do and I shall forget it but give me have hands on experience and incorporate it into my repertoire and it becomes a part of me."

The government would need to make it much more of priority. A new paradigm change of how change on how children are taught. The newer way each individual learns to think for themselves. The old paradigm of supplying rote facts only produces people with limited skills who do not have a penchant to develop wisdom on their own. True wisdom is not ingrained in us because we are not taught to think independently through the use of reason and critical thinking. Our education now only teaches rote memorization of facts added to not learning to process people's own internal thinking. We as a society have failed our children by not putting more emphasis on children and introducing into education empathy skills and cognitive mindfulness classes.

Thus we have a condition in society of when push comes to shove people don't walk the talk they preach. If this newer paradigm comes to fruition then it as Confucius said, "The people will be able to govern themselves." This can be a possible lasting development and people will finally walk their talk in areas such as their their speech, writings and actions. As for spending money on education it is by taking proactive steps and by us being responsible that this nation's future youth will have a capacity of being self governing as well self monitoring themselves with developed and compassion. This will transpire into a more well adjusted and happier society."

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I guarantee that a seal candidate who does not put his mind to succeeding, will not succeed. So, the converse is much more likely to hold true.

First, note that I specified cause and effect relationships, not intentionality. Just because humans often associate the wrong cause with the effect does not mean that the effect does not have a cause that can be discerned and explained.

The metaphor of "living in darkness" does not do justice to actual darkness. The entire equating of light with good and darkness with bad is contrary to reality, and harmful on many levels. I wonder if it also fuels racism (whites > blacks). If we equate the subconscious to darkness because of its obscurity, the comparison is more apt, but there should be no evil associated with this. The contents of our subconscious are important, and not to be dismissed or vilified.

Realism is nothing more than seeing both the bad and the good of a situation. In short, seeing it for what it really is, i.e. reality.

These two quotes fail primarily in their generalized form. It is mostly like this for some people, myself included. Controlling what you think you can in the moment is good, but just a piece of that overall puzzle. It is in that perspective shift that the real solution is often found, in understanding how the entire situation can be changed by touching that one small thing you can in fact control. This lies at the root of Ni.

Coriolis wrote on (15) "Everything happens for a reason," (All numbered letters are Coriolis)

(A) "...cause and effect relationships, not intentionality." and (B) " Just because humans often associate the wrong cause...effect does not mean...the effect does not have a cause...discerned and explained."

"I can see cause and effect in action as an active ingredient of the known laws of the universe. The problem I have with this is people have corrupted this saying as a positivism. Worse still is when they unsympathetically and lacking empathy and insight use the phrase, "Everything happens for a reason," This is a mark of insensitivity. When some one says this to another in pain it is dismissal of another person's pain. Science studies were conducted about whether or not a person believed in a fair universe.

The study showed that those who believed in a fair universe were more judgmental and less understanding toward their fellow man. Those individuals who believed in a fair universe often, in their subconscious judge the recipient of adverse situations with notions such as, "After all if somebody gets a bad rap in life it must be because of something they did or didn't do." It is for this reason I remain in conflict over this particular quote.

Coriolis wrote on, (17) "When it is darkest, men see the stars.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Coriolis wrote, (C) "...metaphor of "living in darkness" does not...justice...actual darkness."

Define dark, please. We knowing it to be a metaphor to describe some things which are indescribable should acknowledge it being as just descriptive.

(D) "...entire equating...light with good and darkness with bad is contrary to reality....harmful..."

This is an interesting different take you have. I've described down some that in keeping in sight political correctness, I could supplant dark with another term. I am so curious, what word choice would you suggest?

(E) "I wonder if it also fuels racism (whites > blacks)."

Equating black with bad and becoming a part of racism has been the case in the past. Perhaps thie prejudicial opinion of black as being bad still remains on a subliminal level of consciousness.

(F) "...equate the subconscious to darkness because of its obscurity, the comparison is more apt, but there should be no evil associated with this."

Coriolis I in no way think or describe the unconscious as to darkness. The unconscious is not darkness but rather unexplored territory. The subconscious is like a wild frontier waiting for new discoveries to be made. In fact from our unconscious are produced our creative thoughts and leaps forward through insight to new plateaus of understanding. The unconscious does a marvelous job of connecting tangents that may seem to be unrelated yet crystallize into a pattern. Hence new discoveries are born and he advancement of science.

(G) "The contents of our subconscious are important, and not to be dismissed or vilified."

As Articulated above, I do concur. It just seems you take issue with the term darkness to describe a mood. "I have journeyed through many travails in my own lifetime and have felt despair in my life. I could easily interject another adjective in lieu of dark. I could say I've drowned in the depths of despair. I know of serious mental health afflicted individuals that metaphorically live in darkness. For some it is like hell on earth.They are not able to appreciate the beauty of the world because of their affliction.

Now this is not to say not to hold on to hope. It's just when one is caught in a maze seemingly without exit that time's can be dire. No person knows another fully or for that matter completely. Experiences by the individuals I describe can only be surmised by one's who have gone on a similar path." LightSun

Coriolis wrote on, (27) "Train your mind to see good in every situation." Buddhist Saying

(H) "Realism is nothing more than seeing both...bad and the good of a situation."

I strive to be pragmatic, positive, stoic as well realistic. Societal problems of domestic violence, incest, etc., I admit to not seeing any good. It is a case for solutions to be found. So at best it is informative plus a call to action. But with the great evils of the world, it is just a simple judgment of it being bad.

(I) In short, seeing it for what it really is, i.e. reality."

I of course concur, "Reality is just that, reality." I can't see good in the examples I gave.

Coriolis wrote on, (28) "Everything comes to you in the right moment be patient." Buddhist Saying and (29) "I do not fix my problems. I fix my thinking. The problems fix themselves."

(J) "...quotes fail primarily...generalized form." and (K) " It is mostly like this for some people, myself included. Controlling what you think you can in the moment is good, but just a piece of that overall puzzle.
It is in that perspective shift that the real solution is often found, in understanding how the entire situation can be changed by touching that one small thing you can in fact control. This lies at the root of Ni."

"I developed insight seemingly from tangential and different areas of knowledge at times that come out of the blue. The light bulb moment, if you will. I have used a host of metaphors to explain the gift of insight and putting pieces of the puzzle into place. I have used a mosaic in description. Insight is akin to pieces of the puzzle that seemingly manifest in a pattern once enough variables fall into place. I've often used this metaphor in describing humanity as only pieces of a much larger crystal or diamond.

"Each person lives in a different as well unique phenomenological universe. People live in different perceptual realities and live by different truths. We can only see slivers and angles of both truth and reality based on our limited perceptions. Obviously not everyone can be right. In fact no one is totally right unless they are stating objective fact. It is when we enter the subjective realm of belief and opinion that tension arises.

This is why we fight instead of each of us listening to the others viewpoint and seeking to understand their perspective. I have an analogy that all of us are part of a giant crystal or diamond. Each of us seeing angles of the truth but none of us seeing reality in all it's entirety. I myself use metaphorical language and term it 'The Eye of Odin based on Scandinavian lore. We must acknowledge each individual has a different perspective reality that is just as real to him or her as your own version and perspective of what reality or truth in essence is.

It is by meeting on common ground, respecting individual differences and communicating with respect that we can pool our resources and thereby increase our understanding of reality and the world we live in.
We need to pool our resources and capabilities into a cohesive whole in order of getting rid of distortions and errors that may exist in our personal belief system. One must know themselves first or at least have a preliminary and honest knowledge of themselves. Using Plato’s allegory it is like we are in a cave.

What we think we see is only a shadow of a larger looming truth. We hunt and seek the shadows always striving to find the entrance to the cave and see reality clearly in its entirety. We are searching for the brilliance of truth. It is as if the life mission to cut away at illogical untruth. Each of us is different with different capabilities, as well as different attributes and with a different life mission. It is all part of the whole. Perhaps the most successful will be those they can see other people's world view and synchronize."

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
(A) "...cause and effect relationships, not intentionality." and (B) " Just because humans often associate the wrong cause...effect does not mean...the effect does not have a cause...discerned and explained."

"I can see cause and effect in action as an active ingredient of the known laws of the universe. The problem I have with this is people have corrupted this saying as a positivism. Worse still is when they unsympathetically and lacking empathy and insight use the phrase, "Everything happens for a reason," This is a mark of insensitivity. When some one says this to another in pain it is dismissal of another person's pain. Science studies were conducted about whether or not a person believed in a fair universe.
People's misuse of a thing is not an inherent problem with that thing. In the physical world at least, we can point to causes of what happens. If people choose to overlay intentionality on that when there is none, that is their error and their ignorance. It says nothing about the world operating in understandable and predictable ways, e.g. in accordance with the laws of physics.

The study showed that those who believed in a fair universe were more judgmental and less understanding toward their fellow man. Those individuals who believed in a fair universe often, in their subconscious judge the recipient of adverse situations with notions such as, "After all if somebody gets a bad rap in life it must be because of something they did or didn't do." It is for this reason I remain in conflict over this particular quote.
A "fair universe"? What is the alternative you suggest - an "unfair universe"? From what I see, the universe is neither, it simply is. It is we humans and our institutions that can act fairly and unfairly.

Coriolis wrote on, (17) "When it is darkest, men see the stars.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Coriolis wrote, (C) "...metaphor of "living in darkness" does not...justice...actual darkness."

Define dark, please. We knowing it to be a metaphor to describe some things which are indescribable should acknowledge it being as just descriptive.

(D) "...entire equating...light with good and darkness with bad is contrary to reality....harmful..."

This is an interesting different take you have. I've described down some that in keeping in sight political correctness, I could supplant dark with another term. I am so curious, what word choice would you suggest?
Darkness is simply the absence of light. There is no moral or value judgment associated with it. It is part of the natural cycles of our world, e.g. night follows day. If we are going to use it as a metaphor, it seems a better fit for situations in which we cannot see something: it is unclear or unknown, hence my use of it for the subconscious. What is there is important and not necessarily bad (or good), but we often don't see it clearly, but rather "through a glass darkly". So, if we mean evil, bad, immoral, etc. we should use those terms rather than calling it "dark".

Your original quote from Emerson doesn't in fact equate dark with evil, so I have no objection to it on that count. In fact, it is quite correct in the sense that tiny sources of light (stars) will stand out against the black backdrop of the night sky. It is in the contrast between light and dark that meaning is found, much as in the words on the screen here, which appear black against a white background. Metaphorically, when we are in situations where much seems unclear and unknown (dark, as in not yet illuminated by light), those few things that we do know and are sure of tend to stand out quite clearly

Coriolis I in no way think or describe the unconscious as to darkness. The unconscious is not darkness but rather unexplored territory. The subconscious is like a wild frontier waiting for new discoveries to be made. In fact from our unconscious are produced our creative thoughts and leaps forward through insight to new plateaus of understanding. The unconscious does a marvelous job of connecting tangents that may seem to be unrelated yet crystallize into a pattern. Hence new discoveries are born and he advancement of science.
See above. Unexplored territory can be considered to lie in darkness because we have not yet shined the light of inquiry/exploration on it. The point I was trying to make is that there is nothing wrong with that. It is not a value judgment, simply a statement of fact: we don't know what is there yet.

Coriolis wrote on, (27) "Train your mind to see good in every situation." Buddhist Saying

(H) "Realism is nothing more than seeing both...bad and the good of a situation."

I strive to be pragmatic, positive, stoic as well realistic. Societal problems of domestic violence, incest, etc., I admit to not seeing any good. It is a case for solutions to be found. So at best it is informative plus a call to action. But with the great evils of the world, it is just a simple judgment of it being bad.
Your original quote spoke of seeing the good in every situation, not every ideology or value judgment. Sure, incest may be categorically bad or evil, but in a given incest situation, there may be good in the sense that, perhaps the victim has someone to reach out to, or is able to seek counseling years later to address the deep hurt caused. Those "solutions to be found" are rooted in the good, else they wouldn't solve anything.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
People's misuse of a thing is not an inherent problem with that thing. In the physical world at least, we can point to causes of what happens. If people choose to overlay intentionality on that when there is none, that is their error and their ignorance. It says nothing about the world operating in understandable and predictable ways, e.g. in accordance with the laws of physics.

A "fair universe"? What is the alternative you suggest - an "unfair universe"? From what I see, the universe is neither, it simply is. It is we humans and our institutions that can act fairly and unfairly.

Darkness is simply the absence of light. There is no moral or value judgment associated with it. It is part of the natural cycles of our world, e.g. night follows day. If we are going to use it as a metaphor, it seems a better fit for situations in which we cannot see something: it is unclear or unknown, hence my use of it for the subconscious. What is there is important and not necessarily bad (or good), but we often don't see it clearly, but rather "through a glass darkly". So, if we mean evil, bad, immoral, etc. we should use those terms rather than calling it "dark".

Your original quote from Emerson doesn't in fact equate dark with evil, so I have no objection to it on that count. In fact, it is quite correct in the sense that tiny sources of light (stars) will stand out against the black backdrop of the night sky. It is in the contrast between light and dark that meaning is found, much as in the words on the screen here, which appear black against a white background. Metaphorically, when we are in situations where much seems unclear and unknown (dark, as in not yet illuminated by light), those few things that we do know and are sure of tend to stand out quite clearly

See above. Unexplored territory can be considered to lie in darkness because we have not yet shined the light of inquiry/exploration on it. The point I was trying to make is that there is nothing wrong with that. It is not a value judgment, simply a statement of fact: we don't know what is there yet.

Your original quote spoke of seeing the good in every situation, not every ideology or value judgment. Sure, incest may be categorically bad or evil, but in a given incest situation, there may be good in the sense that, perhaps the victim has someone to reach out to, or is able to seek counseling years later to address the deep hurt caused. Those "solutions to be found" are rooted in the good, else they wouldn't solve anything.

Coriolis wrote, (1) "A "fair universe"?"

I Coriolis consider the universe impartial. It was the people of the study that put human labels like fairness on the universe. I don't prescribe to this belief, not in the least.

(2) "...the universe is neither, it simply is."

You expressed my view exactly.

(3) "...is we humans...institutions...can act fairly and unfairly."

I call it an 'ism.' It is the current state or nature of things. I generally don't ascribe labels subjective in nature. They don't solve the problem. I take either of two courses of action. Problem solve what I can fix and having the knowledge of what I can't fix. I don't focus on things that are beyond my control.

(4) "...we mean evil, bad, immoral...we should use those terms..."

I have conditioned myself in not using subjective terminology. I don't even use the terms you gave. It does not solve the problem. Mantra: problem solve, refocus, do not ruminate.

(5) "...rather than calling it "dark".

I respect your opinions as always. The term "dark".just does not cause any wave in myself.

(6) "...not every ideology...value judgment."

I see this as being inclusive.

Lib

Permabanned
"Shoot for the moon and if you miss you will still be among the stars"
First, stars are much bigger a target than the moon, which is the opposite of the meaning of the quote.
Second, I'm an excellent shot (contrary to what my avatar suggests) - if I shoot for the moon, I'm going to the moon.

Lib

Permabanned
"It could always be worse" or "think of everyone who has it worse than you"
...both intended as ways to make one feel better.

"If you can dream it, you can do it."

"You have to love yourself before you can love someone else"
Oddly enough, I relate to all of these quotes.

The first one, I understand, as a very realistic perspective holding a lot of irony. Not that it's a pleasant thing to hear.

The second is pretty much my life credo.

And the third, well, I set high expectations for myself... I have no business with people who don't challenge me and don't strive to become a better version of themselves. This is how I understand love.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
To be honest, I get far more irritated with people who can't understand that some of these saying don't have to true in all ways and under all situations for them to have value. As far as I'm concerned both "many hands make light work" and "too many cooks spoil the broth" are both equally valid, even though they are contradictory. They summarise common situations in a few words, rather than having to go into a monologue on the benefits and risks of group interactions towards a given purpose.

If you are incapable of reading between the lines of such statements, then fuck you for being so damn stupid. I haven't got the patience to deal with someone I need to programme like a computer before they can cope.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Truth or unproven myth? (17) Without Darkness we would not appreciate light.

Quote:
"When it is darkest, men see the stars.” Ralph Waldo Emerson [21,22].

"I am not necessarily aligned on this point. Hypothetically a person growing up in a nurturing environment surrounded with the developmental assets of: Love, Safety, Realistic Boundaries and with a clear set of Guidelines, then one is more apt to grow up with a sense of good feeling, posses a healthy self-esteem and be less susceptible to emotional triggers. The trigger of psychological wounds yet unhealed in us originate from unresolved conflict as well issues. Such a person as this case in point may very well live out a life that is filed predominately with positive emotions.

These individuals do not have to undergo unnecessary plus undue suffering states to appreciate their general state of wellness. Too also, the converse is true as well. The person who grew in a dysfunctional home environment with adverse conditions and lacking enough of the fore established ingredients of the defined 40 developmental assets will be more susceptible to being triggered. What is more there have been research studies in the psychology field dealing with resiliency and what can make an individual more resistant to the travails faced during a course of our lifetime. The earliest intervention of an adult figure not in the immediate family can help regulate a child through the storms of home life. There are 40 developmental assets that instill resiliency.

Our parents are metaphorically our gods and they can shape and mold the child just as they would a vase. The reverse is also unfortunately true. If the parents don't provide these nourishing factors into a child's life and abuse them emotionally, verbally, sexually, physically and psychologically the 'vase' or child will not be straight but dysfunctional leading an entire lifetime of distress all stemming from childhood. I have talked of the dysfunctional cycle of children growing up in adverse conditions. Consider the Kauai Longitudinal Study.

The Kauai Study’s subjects are the 698 babies born on the island that year, with assessments so far at ages 1, 2, 10, 18, 32 and 40. If the child does not have access to these other developmental assets then sadly statistically they will suffer from mental illness, dysfunction and or substance abuse. Of the children in the study, Drs. Werner and Smith identified 129 as being at high risk for future problems, because they faced four or more adversities at birth, ranging from poverty and family discord to alcoholism or mental illness in the home. Two-thirds of these high-risk children went on to have difficulties of their own, such as delinquency, unplanned pregnancies and underemployment.

One-third, however, somehow did prevail. It is my estimate that the lucky one third had in place a percentage of the identified 40 Developmental Assets in childhood. Unfortunately due to the ignorance of bad parenting, often coming from a dysfunctional home life themselves, the parents unwittingly pass along their unresolved issues in the form of projecting unto the child. The unacknowledged truth due to emotional reasoning, rationalization, denial, blind spots, defense mechanisms and overcompensation still regulate the other two children to be in the troughs of a dysfunctional merry-go-round cycle.

This very unfortunate circular cycle of a dysfunctional nature manifest in behavior which is composed of defense mechanisms and strategies developed in childhood. I know of serious mental health afflicted individuals that metaphorically live in darkness. This is in part a chemical component. Another pertinent variable is we are ruled by our subconscious more than we are likely to admit. If one grew up in a traumatic environment their belief system is corrupted on a subconscious level with cognitive Schema and erroneous distortions of thought both incorporated in their internal system of belief. For some it is like hell on earth.

They are not able to appreciate the beauty of the world because of their affliction. Now this is not to say not to hold on to hope. It's just when one is caught in a maze seemingly without exit that time's can be dire. No person knows another fully or for that matter completely. Experiences by the individuals I describe can only be surmised by one's who have gone on a similar path. These are the 40 developmental assets I've discussed that lead to resiliency and are crucial in the child rearing age and development. What is more the main article shows parents and providers how to implement these developmental factors in a young child's life.

Children and this country would be better off learning the two mental disciplines. Firstly, learning critical thinking by becoming aware of distortions in thought, written as well speech which stem from the underlying unconscious. All the wise sages say a mindful mental discipline is part of achieving an awakened stage yet the politicians of the government stare as if blind to the wisdom presented by the wisest sages throughout history. The second crucial learning is developing empathy skills to grow up being more humanitarian and being more empathetic to our fellow humanity. We would gain Agape compassion for all life's forms: human, and this world's planet wide wildlife diversity of our endangered ecosystems."

The Developmental Assets Framework / Search Institute The Developmental Assets Framework | Search Institute

Mole

Permabanned
Wise sayings are for wise guys to deceive uy and make us feel good, blocking us from learning through the emotional pain of cognitive dissonance.

Mbti is a catalogue of wise sayings.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Truth or unproven myth? (17) Without Darkness we would not appreciate light.

Quote:
"When it is darkest, men see the stars.” Ralph Waldo Emerson [21,22].
I absolutely believe this, literally and figuratively, and not just with the stars. Just look at your screen: if the dark portions disappeared, there would be nothing for you to read here. A life without darkness is as impossible as a life with rose-colored glasses perpetually covering your eyes. Remember: darkness is not evil. It is uncertainty, error, confusion, fear, perhaps all our uncomfortable emotions. But it is also the restfulness of night, the seclusion of the womb, the silence of our sight so we can appreciate our other senses more fully. Darkness is the other half of light, just as night is the other half of day. Both equally necessary and important.

Tomb1

'Myths and Wives Tales Handed Down Generation to Generation Without Testing The validity Of These Beliefs'

'It is a peeve of mine when supposedly wise sayings either religious or secular are taken for granted and never questioned much less held up to the light of scientific scrutiny. Wise sayings which when held up to the light of scrutiny are In fact in error. Are these truths to live by or unproven myths when when held up to the light of scientific scrutiny and do not pass the test. Are these wise sayings taken for granted or even questioned? In that case they amount to mere wives tales which are passed down each generation.

I have discovered so many of these proverbial wisdom sayings which simply don't pass the test by using critical thought or human reason. If that is indeed the case they hold us back from further emotional and spiritual development. I don't know whether to do independent threads addressing these fallacies or to make an all inclusive list numerically and then be open for discussion. Are the following statements true or an unproven myth? Please I'd like your feedback, feelings, thoughts and beliefs on the subject."

'Truth or unproven myth?'

(1) 'Words don't hurt us or affect us unless we let them."

(2) “That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” Friedrich Nietzsche

(3) "We have total control and Free Will."

(4) "We have reason to act angrily with "Self Righteousness Anger."

(5) "If I put my mind to it i can do anything." If my intention I put into the universe I will receive. "Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

(6) "If another person does something unjust, he or she will get their just deserts. The notion of what goes around comes around."

(7) "The universe is (In human subjective terminology) 'Fair' 'Just' or a 'Loving' universe.

(8) "Just by Thinking, Feeling or Believing it to be true then it must be true. By this I mean it is for the reason that I happen to think, feel and believe it to be true. Therefore it is true."

(9) "We put out positive energy to universe and we shall receive in equitable proportion receive back positive energy."

(10) "Love is the only channel to usher peace. Love is the answer. And the world shall be a better place."

(11) "Use the rod you spare the child."

(12) "I came from nothing. If I did such, you can too. If not it's your fault. If you put your mind to it and you can do anything. I am a self- made man and or woman of character who had a dream and achieved it.

After all I did it and I started from nothing if you can't do it fella or lady well I'm not going to give you any hand out's. I'm certainly not going to pay more taxes to support your measly ass of weak character.
There must be something wrong with you then. You just then are lazy or just not trying hard enough or are of weak character, will and determination"

(13) "Nothing external to you has any power over you." Ralph Waldo Emerson

(14) "Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves." Carl Jung

(15) "Everything happens for a reason,"

(16) Are we in the dawn of a new spiritual awakening?

(17) "When it is darkest, men see the stars.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

(18) "I have overcome a dysfunctional home and raised my children with love and (pertinent) I have not allowed my childhood experience to affect me.

(19) "The eyes are the mirror of the soul."

(20) "We don't meet people by accident. They are meant to cross our path for a reason.'

(21) "Everything heals. Your body heals. Your heart heals. The mind heals. Wounds heal. Your soul repairs itself. Your happiness is always going to come back. Bad things don't last."

(22) "Life does not give us more than we can handle? This is meant to be all inclusive of all humanity and not just your own life."

(23) "Relax nothing is in control" Buddhist Saying

(24) "If you suffer, it is because of you. If you feel blissful, it is because of you. Nobody else is responsible, only you and you alone. You are your hell and heaven too." Osho

(25) "You have two choices; to control your mind, or let your mind control you." Buddhist Saying

(26) "Nothing is permanent.Don't stress yourself too much because no matter how bad the situation is...it will change." Buddhist Saying

(27) "Train your mind to see good in every situation." Buddhist Saying

(28) "Everything comes to you in the right moment be patient." Buddhist Saying

(29) "I do not fix my problems. I fix my thinking. The problems fix themselves." Buddhist Saying

(30) "A saying isn't wise if it is false and erroneous."