• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why people pray and go to church.synagogue,mosque....?

How often you go to church.synagogue,mosque....?

• Few times a week

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Once a week

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Few times a month

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Once a month

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Few times a year

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Major holidays only

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Never

Votes: 25 37.9%
  • I will never go

Votes: 12 18.2%

• Total voters

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I am asking myself this question for a long time and however I try to look at this, the entire thing doesn't have too much sense. (to me)

So, why people do this?

Whet religion means to individuals on this forum ?

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
Because it's about expressing religion, it's about networking, it's about community.

You could just as easily ask why people visit MBTI forums when they could just sit down and read a book about it.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Because it's about expressing religion, it's about networking, it's about community.

You could just as easily ask why people visit MBTI forums when they could just sit down and read a book about it.

True.

But I am aiming deeper.

For example:
Why people need to express it?
Why do they even need something like this?

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
I go to church because, even though I am a vary doubtful person, being a part of community and participating in my rituals (that is, the rituals of my context, which is Christianity) makes me feel connected to the larger world. Going to church, for me, is a way to be intentionally collectivist (which I think makes me more attuned to others' needs).

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't know how to decide between "Never" and "I will never go" on the poll. What is the criterion between the two?

I was thinking about opting for the "I will never go" option because it has the word "never" in it, but then the word "never" by itself has a certain unambiguous charm to it.

Condor

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I am asking myself this question for a long time and however I try to look at this, the entire thing doesn't have too much sense. (to me)

So, why people do this?

Actually, I think you answered your own question in the fact that you'll never get an answer that makes sense to you.

It seems to me that each person's reason for attending or not attending would make sense for themselves, and not necessairly make sense to anyone else (nor should it have to).

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
True.

But I am aiming deeper.

For example:
Why people need to express it?
Why do they even need something like this?

Fundamental principle of psychology: All human activity is aimed at the end of generating positive sentiment.

In short, people simply wish to feel well.

Interacting with other people gives them direct affirmation. For example, they are rewarded by their community for behaving in a certain way. They strive to behave in a way that leads to their reward.

Secondly, one's intellect makes it obvious that some questions of life are difficult to answer. Man knows that some things in the world are undesirable. In order to feel well, he looks for reasons to believe that he will be alright. The religious community claims to know everything that man needs to know about the world and how he must behave in it. The community promises to bestow such knowledge upon the individual if and only if he behaves in a way community would like for him to behave.

Therefore, to answer all of your questions, people engage in the acts you have mentioned for two reasons. Because they see immediate gratification follow as an entailment of such acts (or the community rewards them for such behavior), secondly, it leads them to believe that doing as they do allows them to know exactly how they should live their lives.

This is the underlying rationale of a conventional person with regard to why he participates in religious activities. However, most people are not aware that this is what is driving them, as they simply do not reflect. However, if we were to explore their mindset thoroughly or challenge them to discover their true motivations, this is what we will have discovered.

Most people, however are not truly religious. They are simply doing as they are supposed to be doing because they do not know any better. People who do not think for themselves allow for their community to instruct them exactly how they should live their lives. Religious community provides exactly this service.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I don't know how to decide between "Never" and "I will never go" on the poll. What is the criterion between the two?

I was thinking about opting for the "I will never go" option because it has the word "never" in it, but then the word "never" by itself has a certain unambiguous charm to it.

In that case take it as: I will never go willingly.

This option is for people who are not passive about their atheism.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Actually, I think you answered your own question in the fact that you'll never get an answer that makes sense to you.

It seems to me that each person's reason for attending or not attending would make sense for themselves, and not necessairly make sense to anyone else (nor should it have to).

True.

But I am interested in position of others.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Fundamental principle of psychology: All human activity is aimed at the end of generating positive sentiment.

In short, people simply wish to feel well.

Interacting with other people gives them direct affirmation. For example, they are rewarded by their community for behaving in a certain way. They strive to behave in a way that leads to their reward.

Secondly, one's intellect makes it obvious that some questions of life are difficult to answer. Man knows that some things in the world are undesirable. In order to feel well, he looks for reasons to believe that he will be alright. The religious community claims to know everything that man needs to know about the world and how he must behave in it. The community promises to bestow such knowledge upon the individual if and only if he behaves in a way community would like for him to behave.

Therefore, to answer all of your questions, people engage in the acts you have mentioned for two reasons. Because they see immediate gratification follow as an entailment of such acts (or the community rewards them for such behavior), secondly, it leads them to believe that doing as they do allows them to know exactly how they should live their lives.

This is the underlying rationale of a conventional person with regard to why he participates in religious activities. However, most people are not aware that this is what is driving them, as they simply do not reflect. However, if we were to explore their mindset thoroughly or challenge them to discover their true motivations, this is what we will have discovered.

Most people, however are not truly religious. They are simply doing as they are supposed to be doing because they do not know any better. People who do not think for themselves allow for their community to instruct them exactly how they should live their lives. Religious community provides exactly this service.

I am aware of this and I agree with it.

The level in which I am interested is personal level.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
In that case take it as: I will never go willingly.

This option is for people who are not passive about their atheism.

Kay well I picked 'I will never go' cause it's true but I'm not an atheist, oh well.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I go to church weekly. The main reasons I go are:

To discuss spiritual topics with other people.
To worship.
To see my friends.
Overall it's a fun experience. It's usually the highlight of my week. :)

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
To discuss spiritual topics with other people.
To worship.
To see my friends.
Overall it's a fun experience. It's usually the highlight of my week. :)

That's interesting because everyone of those points is part of the cause of my methamphetamine addiction.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
That's interesting because everyone of those points is part of the cause of my methamphetamine addiction.

Church doesn't fuck up your teeth or, for the most part, destroy your ability to function in society.

Meth -1!!!

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
I used to go once a day, Monday through Thursday, twice on Friday's, three times on Saturday, and on Sunday I/we would spend most of the morning and then come back for evening prayers.

As to why: Because G-d said so, of course.