• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why people pray and go to church.synagogue,mosque....?

How often you go to church.synagogue,mosque....?

• Few times a week

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Once a week

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Few times a month

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Once a month

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Few times a year

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Major holidays only

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Never

Votes: 25 37.9%
  • I will never go

Votes: 12 18.2%

• Total voters

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't go, but here's the reason lots of other people go: Guilt.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I used to go once a day, Monday through Thursday, twice on Friday's, three times on Saturday, and on Sunday I/we would spend most of the morning and then come back for evening prayers.

As to why: Because G-d said so, of course.
Well there you go, you win the "Who's more devoted?" contest. :tongue:

Our congregation schedules them for "once a month" but I can't make it every time. I end up going about every other month (I put "a few times a year"). I prefer to do my religious/spiritual stuff by myself, on my own time. For me, if it is to mean anything at all, it must be personal.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
If you only take methamphetamines once a week, then how can you say it's an addiction? ;)

I'm like a camel you see, I have a pouch that I fill up with a 20kg drug cocktail that sees me through to next pay.

Church doesn't fuck up your teeth or, for the most part, destroy your ability to function in society.

Meth -1!!!

Are you impugning my teeth and my functioning in society? How dare you?

S

Sniffles

I don't go as often as I should, nor as much as I would like to - unfortunately. :(

Why do I go? First and foremost, because of my geniune devotion and love for the Lord.

I always insist on going to traditional Latin masses, or at the very least Latin Novous Ordo ones. Once you've been to one of these, there's no going back. I simply cannot stand the garbage that passes off as religious services in many churches.

I appreciate the deep sense of ritual and aesthetics involved in more traditional services. It's unlike anything else you encounter in the world, it literally gives you a feeling I cannot fully explain - it's intoxicating. I'm reminded of what the Russian envoys reported when they attended a liturgical service in Constanipole, how they couldn't tell if they were still on earth or in heaven. It's the same feeling I get.

Of course, as I've stated elsewhere, aesthetics without a geniune sense of faith is shallow and without meaning. So my own sense of faith is not based enxclusively on aesthetics. Aesthetics helps bring forth beauty to more appreciate the greatness of God.

I already posted this video in my thread about the beauty of Catholicism, but I'll report here so others can see what it is that I apprecite:
[youtube="SCot5L54-dE"]Beauty of Tradition[/youtube]

And here's a wonderful video of a High Latin Mass celebrating the Feast of the Sacred Heart:
[youtube=enWiFcsBqIE]Traditional Latin Mass: Feast of the Sacred Heart[/youtube]
It's over an hour long though.

Condor

MBTI Type
ISTJ
What it represents to them.

I know the answer but I want to hear it anyway because of the details.

So the purpose of the question is vouyerism? What do you hope to gain by learning the details of individual beliefs (or non-beliefs)? Are you trying to adapt theirs' to yourself?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My mom goes mostly for the community aspect, and she has also told me she likes the weekly 'reminders' on what she should be focusing on, and she says it helps her keep things in perspective. But there's also the 'duty'/partnership aspect, as my father is much more devout in his churchgoing, so she feels a sense of obligation to go (although she doesn't word it that way -- I just know that she'd be quite happy not going every week like my dad chooses to do).

My dad seems to be more devout, and more of a true believer, and seems to take it more seriously than my mom. However I still think there's a broader context for him, and I think he wants to 'do good', so he enjoys helping the church out with various things, and he volunteers once a week at a soup kitchen. These are more recent developments, though....he didn't used to to the volunteer thing.

I haven't been to church for about 4-5 years now. I do not believe, have issues with the concept of religion as a whole, and even if I still believed somewhat, I'd think it was hypocritical on my part to go when I was mostly filled with doubts, and would think it was lame of me to go just for the community aspect -- because I think the matters religions are supposed to be addressing are far more important than using it as a social outlet to gab over donuts and coffee. I also have a 'problem' with the fact that the majority of churchgoers are 'clueless' or half-assed about what they're supposed to be there for. (but I also recognize that's me projecting my own needs/ideals onto everyone else, so take that with a grain of salt)

S

Sniffles

Community and togetherness are certainly an important aspect of religious and spiritual life; were we connect with each other before God. But of course it's secondary to the geniune devotion to the Lord, which is the heart of any spiritual life.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
=I'd think it was hypocritical on my part to go when I was mostly filled with doubts,

The reason I *can* go to church with my doubts and not feel hypocritical is that I have found a community where doubt is acceptable.

and would think it was lame of me to go just for the community aspect -- because I think the matters religions are supposed to be addressing are far more important than using it as a social outlet to gab over donuts and coffee.

I am absolutely not making the assertion that you should go to church for any reason, but I think that when people say "community" is an important reason that they go, often (not always) they're referring to something deeper than social hour with donuts. Community is probably my number one reason--but my sense of community is fostered by shared values and concerns, shared experiences, and the like. I participate in my spiritual communities usually by sharing my talents and working with youth--because I think that communities can be instrumental in producing well-rounded and thoughtful children. Community can--and should--be more than gabbing and gossip.

I also have a 'problem' with the fact that the majority of churchgoers are 'clueless' or half-assed about what they're supposed to be there for. (but I also recognize that's me projecting my own needs/ideals onto everyone else, so take that with a grain of salt)

I think that this is probably a reasonable thing to be frustrated with, though I would point out that you probably don't have access to all information and that lots of people have a variety of reasons, good and bad, for showing up.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
Community and togetherness are certainly an important aspect of religious and spiritual life; were we connect with each other before God. But of course it's secondary to the geniune devotion to the Lord, which is the heart of any spiritual life.

I think that people find God in each other, and that may mean that devotion to community/nurturing of each other/concern for other people and devotion to God are one in the same.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The reason I *can* go to church with my doubts and not feel hypocritical is that I have found a community where doubt is acceptable.

I am absolutely not making the assertion that you should go to church for any reason, but I think that when people say "community" is an important reason that they go, often (not always) they're referring to something deeper than social hour with donuts. Community is probably my number one reason--but my sense of community is fostered by shared values and concerns, shared experiences, and the like. I participate in my spiritual communities usually by sharing my talents and working with youth--because I think that communities can be instrumental in producing well-rounded and thoughtful children. Community can--and should--be more than gabbing and gossip.

Yes, this makes sense. I know it highly depends on the church and how it jives with your own views.

I agree with you that the community aspect can be much deeper and more meaningful. For a few years, I did experience that in a religious setting, but I am mentally so far beyond that now that it simply isn't the setting any longer where I'd have shared values with anyone. I mean, ethically/whatever I think I'd still have a lot of similarities; however, I am much closer to atheism at this point (certainly not a notion of 'God' that is present in any religious context), so I would definitely lack the basic foundation upon which the community was built.

I think that this is probably a reasonable thing to be frustrated with, though I would point out that you probably don't have access to all information and that lots of people have a variety of reasons, good and bad, for showing up.

Yes, I agree.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I think that people find God in each other, and that may mean that devotion to community/nurturing of each other/concern for other people and devotion to God are one in the same.

Why attach "God" to everything that's good on earth? If I want to do things that help the community, give blood, donate food, plant trees... I'd like to leave God out of that. Helping people is a normal and human thing to do.

Angry Ayrab

MBTI Type
ENFP
I go to my mosque twice a day, and if I am free at other times during the day, I go also. Muslims are supposed to pray five times a day, I wish I could pray them all at the mosque, but school doesn't allow me, so I only go to the morining prayer and the night prayer.

No joke here, I actually feel bad if I miss a day.

Mon-thur = 2x (more if free)
Fri = 3x
Sat+sun = 2-5x (usually only 2)

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
So the purpose of the question is vouyerism? What do you hope to gain by learning the details of individual beliefs (or non-beliefs)? Are you trying to adapt theirs' to yourself?

You are right this is vouyerism.

I know how thing work in the big picture but it looks to me that big part of what is important in this story is locked on personal level.

Also I am very expressed atheist.(especially by USA standards)
So I am trying to understand the other side.

Plus I am interested in statistic of forum members when it comes to this.

Angry Ayrab

MBTI Type
ENFP
Fundamental principle of psychology: All human activity is aimed at the end of generating positive sentiment.

In short, people simply wish to feel well.

Interacting with other people gives them direct affirmation. For example, they are rewarded by their community for behaving in a certain way. They strive to behave in a way that leads to their reward.

Secondly, one's intellect makes it obvious that some questions of life are difficult to answer. Man knows that some things in the world are undesirable. In order to feel well, he looks for reasons to believe that he will be alright. The religious community claims to know everything that man needs to know about the world and how he must behave in it. The community promises to bestow such knowledge upon the individual if and only if he behaves in a way community would like for him to behave.

Therefore, to answer all of your questions, people engage in the acts you have mentioned for two reasons. Because they see immediate gratification follow as an entailment of such acts (or the community rewards them for such behavior), secondly, it leads them to believe that doing as they do allows them to know exactly how they should live their lives.

This is the underlying rationale of a conventional person with regard to why he participates in religious activities. However, most people are not aware that this is what is driving them, as they simply do not reflect. However, if we were to explore their mindset thoroughly or challenge them to discover their true motivations, this is what we will have discovered.

Most people, however are not truly religious. They are simply doing as they are supposed to be doing because they do not know any better. People who do not think for themselves allow for their community to instruct them exactly how they should live their lives. Religious community provides exactly this service.

I agree with you as usual bluewing. The fundamental problem, or contradiction shall I say, is that my religion teaches that people should not go to the mosque for anyone other than god. To do so, would be to associate others with the importance of god. The sad truth is that very few people go their solely for god, so from a purely religious scope, they are actually angering god by going. This then can fall into the realms of god being all merciful and stuff like that.

I will admit that even though for me, a big part of going is to please god, it is also for the social aspect of seeing my friends there. I always ask myself if I do go purely for god's pleasure and that seeing friends is an extra benifit that comes along with the package. Internally I hope that is the case, and many a times it is proven to me, because I do also chose to go when no one is there.

This part may sound crazy: I like to see myself as a logical person, and many a times I will start to question aspects of my faith (who am I kidding, all the time). What keeps me believing is the fact that whenever I stray away from god (as in the sins start to cometh-a-plenty) my life starts going down hill. Whenever I am on the right track, from a religious perspective, everything seems to start working out. It's probably pretty easy to argue that a placebo affect of me feeling good about being religious can be argued, and I am inclined to believe it. The thing is that this has happened to me all my life since I became aware of the world, and I am starting to really believe in a higher power affecting my life, rather than mere coincidence or mood enhancement affects.

It's just wierd to be more religious than the SJ's. The only thing that keeps me happy with myself as an ENFP is that I don't shove my beliefs down the throats of others, I only inform them if they ask. I am also proud that I, for the most part, do not judge others and convince myself how much better others are than me (it always keeps me working to better myself). This meshes really well with the whole NF thing.

Well I am going to go lay low for a little bit and watch the insults fly by. :D

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
Why attach "God" to everything that's good on earth? If I want to do things that help the community, give blood, donate food, plant trees... I'd like to leave God out of that. Helping people is a normal and human thing to do.

You are welcome to leave God out. I really don't care what you do. This is what *I* do. And that's the question, right?

No I don't believe that.

That's cool. You do what you want. But my Kingdom of Heaven is here, and that's what I count on.

Edit: So what I should have said is...

I think that SOME PEOPLE CAN find God in each other. And then the community/devotion stuff.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
You are welcome to leave God out. I really don't care what you do. This is what *I* do. And that's the question, right?

I guess I was more wondering what your personal reasoning is.. Most people I know who are of the more liberal or skeptical side of faith rarely attach God to anything other than spiritual/religious matters, you wouldn't know they were people of faith unless the topic came up.

Angry Ayrab

MBTI Type
ENFP
I also wanted to add that I have picked up most of my communitty service activities through my mosque. It's mainly because of how much my parents and they remind me that god orders us to love others if we are to love him. Soup kitchen, free tutoring, helping old people with shopping and other things, visiting sick people in the hospital and cheering them up with magic tricks and fun stuff. I get to do/organize many of the fun and helpful events with like minded people here, so I really do feel like I am giving back as a I should.

But just to reemphasize, I truly try to keep my intention in that of the service of god. It is hard, but the more you believe the easier it is to keep your intentions purely to the creator.