User Tag List

123 Last

And so it begins... Gentleman Jack's Avatar
    MBTI
    STP
    Enneagram
    000 so/sx

Default Riddle me this: Who is the Batman?

Is this Philosophy? Isn't everything if you put some thought into it?

How? Aren't you thinking and asking questions right now?

Aren't I making suppositions, and answering questions with questions?

Yes. The answer is yes.

The Question....ah...now there's the rub.

Who is, and I suppose to another extent, what is batman? The easy answer is he's Bruce Wayne's vigalante alter ego...but let's dig a little deeper, shall we?

An only child, an orphan, extreme wealth and an overdeveloped sense of resonsibility...yes, feel the satisfying sensation of grave soil on your shovel as you dig deeper? It's gonna be a long dirty job, especially if you like digging deep. Feel free to go as deep as you like into the question of who is the batman?

With all due respect,
    -Jack.

I am the Cat who walks by himself, and all places are alike to me...

I am but a dream--your dream, a creature of your imagination. In a moment you will have realized this, then you will banish me from your visions and I shall dissolve into the nothingness out of which you made me...
    Likes asynartetic, Peter Deadpan liked this post

If you dig into the comics, it seems as if the opposite is true -- There is no Bruce Wayne, only Batman. Bruce Wayne is the alter ego self-obsessed billionaire playboy who Batman uses to make movies throughout the day and intentionally come across self-absored and entitled enough to detract attention from himself.

Also, in wish they'd found Affleck 10-years prior to take the mantle and given him an actual independent Batman series.
    The order of preference for your cognitive functions appears to be
    Ne > Ti > Te = Ni > Fi > Fe = Se > Si
    Likes Gentleman Jack, Peter Deadpan liked this post

MBTI
    STP
    Enneagram
    000 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    If you dig into the comics, it seems as if the opposite is true -- There is no Bruce Wayne, only Batman. Bruce Wayne is the alter ego self-obsessed billionaire playboy who Batman uses to make movies throughout the day and intentionally come across self-absored and entitled enough to detract attention from himself.

Also, in wish they'd found Affleck 10-years prior to take the mantle and given him an actual independent Batman series.
    I think the movies have to some extent accidentally added to the idea that Bruce Wayne is merely a visage, in all the actors who have prtrayed batman, minus Silver Age/Adam West which as best I can tell is like a bootlegged time out of the franchise (sorry silver age fans) But the Bat has all been remarkably similar, with only the bruces changing. Michael Keaton, doing the whole sleeping upside down was a really interesting visual for that imo. Then there was Val Kilmer who seemed to struggle with the idea of only being a mask, then George Clooney...who...was...also there...hmmm....nice ass though....Then Christian Bale, who really dove into the I'm BATMAN role, which for some reason makes me think that Bruce Wayne was also Patrick Bateman. And that's why Batman doesnt kill. He finally found his way out. Meaning to his story...

Honestly I gotta say my favorite portrayal of Bruce comes from Gotham. A boy who died in the alley with his parents, except got back up and now has to try and cobble a new life out of his own death...
    With all due respect,
    -Jack.

I am but a dream--your dream, a creature of your imagination. In a moment you will have realized this, then you will banish me from your visions and I shall dissolve into the nothingness out of which you made me...

enough said

No, this is not philosophy. Batman is some rich guy with savior complex and paranoia, an anti-social control freak. He doesn't focus on building a strong society but on the possibility to become a hero as a compensation for not being able to save his parents. This belongs in 'psychology' not 'philosophy'.
    Likes Gentleman Jack liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Lib View Post
    No, this is not philosophy. Batman is some rich guys with savor complex and paranoia, an anti-social control freak. He doesn't focus on building a strong society but on the possibility to become a hero as a compensation for not being able to save his parents. This belongs in 'psychology' not 'philosophy'.
    The order of preference for your cognitive functions appears to be
    Ne > Ti > Te = Ni > Fi > Fe = Se > Si

MBTI
    STP
    Enneagram
    000 so/sx

No, this is not philosophy. Batman is some rich guys with savor complex and paranoia, an anti-social control freak. He doesn't focus on building a strong society but on the possibility to become a hero as a compensation for not being able to save his parents. This belongs in 'psychology' not 'philosophy'.
    That's your philosophy, thanks for the opinion. I'm glad the topic could stimulate you enough to bring such a philosophical debate to the fore, philosophy versus psychology. And to do so here, it's really quite brilliant. Almost like you're cleaning up the streets of Gotham.

Glad it could make you think about things.
    With all due respect,
    -Jack.

Likes Peter Deadpan liked this post

Slightly Petulant Population: 1's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP

Bruce Wayne/Batman is the projection of a psychologically stunted child. A coping mechanism for a shattered adolescent mind. Neither image is truly Bruce Wayne. The real Bruce Wayne died with his parents long ago on a dark night in Gotham.

At least that’s what I see not having read any of the comics and having casually followed the movies. I was a huge fan of the 90’s (Batman: The Animated Series not the New Adventures of) cartoon.

MBTI
    STP
    Enneagram
    000 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Population: 1 View Post
    Bruce Wayne/Batman is the projection of a psychologically stunted child. A coping mechanism for a shattered adolescent mind. Neither image is truly Bruce Wayne. The real Bruce Wayne died with his parents long ago on a dark night in Gotham.

At least that’s what I see not having read any of the comics and having casually followed the movies. I was a huge fan of the 90’s (Batman: The Animated Series not the New Adventures of) cartoon.
    Pretty much my thoughts as well, because the most realistic thing a child could do in that situation is to die to who they were...
    With all due respect,
    -Jack.

Likes Population: 1 liked this post

enough said

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    How do you mean? Having a different opinion about Batman? I don't understand why people consider him sane. He really reminds me more of the psycho Patrick Bateman than a beloved hero.

MBTI
    STP
    Enneagram
    000 so/sx

How do you mean? Having a different opinion about Batman? I don't understand why people consider him sane. He really reminds me more of the psycho Patrick Bateman than a beloved hero.
    YES, he really does! I mean what kind of grown man dresses up like a bat to punch other people dressed up as things?

The Joker, Riddler, Scarecrow, Two Face, they all end up in Arkham, Batman helped create half of them, and what truly separates his sort of crazy from the crazy he does battle with?

Next time you watch American Pyscho, watch Batman Begins, and figure when Bruce was "away at school" before the trial...he was Patrick Bateman. Arguably it could be just because of the energy the actor brings to the role...but it makes me think....
    With all due respect,
    -Jack.

Likes Lib liked this post