• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I feel uncomfortable praying in front of people.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I absolutely cannot do it. I open my mouth and nothing comes out. I can't pray in front of other people. I'm, like, physically incapable. I just keep saying "Sorry, I can't," until they give up.

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
I feel the same as the op, I can't do it either for many of the same reasons. It just doesn't feel authentic. I just can't turn it on and off. It makes me feel like a fraud...like I'm just doing something for the benefit of other people; of what they'll think of me if I don't. That makes the prayer bogus, thus useless.

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
I feel the same as the op, I can't do it either for many of the same reasons. It just doesn't feel authentic. I just can't turn it on and off. It makes me feel like a fraud...like I'm just doing something for the benefit of other people; of what they'll think of me if I don't. That makes the prayer bogus, thus useless.

I used to feel the exact same way.

Not quite sure what changed. Hummm...

Eiddy

Pronounced eye-ee-dee
MBTI Type
DEAD
Enneagram
1w2
I have never felt realistic when I have prayed. Prayer does not come to me naturally. I have had thoughts and felt deeply thankful. I think God understands me deeper than I understand myself. He is all-knowing right? So why should I have to pray? I guess it's like me talking to myself, it serves no real purpose. Only in action and deeds (helping and doing for others) do I feel blessed and not in public displays of affection or showing myself to be religious.

I guess after giving up on pretty much all traditional forms of ideology. My perspectives have changed a lot. I am sure they will continue to change. Never feel down on yourself for your views, it could be just a small amount of light that shows you where is the doorway to your own type of spirituality.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, I relate. Honestly, I don't like church anymore. I feel like I'm on spectacle for everyone. The faith part of my personality likes to be alone. Of course, I like to discuss faith and beliefs with other people, that's fine. But praying in front of others is a big no-no. In fact, most of my 'prayers' are not even traditional prayers. It's more like introspection and analysis, self-dialog to discover self, stuff like that...Meditation, quieting the mind, and allowing ideas to flow. Or even being in nature...

It's not like, "Oh God you are powerful, so we need to praise and thank you, and now that I've shown how grateful I am, can you please give me shit?"

Maxwell22290

MBTI Type
ISFP
It doesn't feel natural to me and is not one of my gifts and I feel like people are judging me when I do or are appraising my spirituality based on how good of a speech I make to God on behalf of everyone. I have heard people say, wow you can tell this person is really in love with God by how they pray. I don't agree with that.

This is probably the verse Jeffster was referring to:
"But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." Matthew 6:6.

Praying in front of others isn't some spiritual step you have to take to make yourself a better Christian. Jesus was saying this because there were people that would pray very loudly and publicly so that they would look like "awesome Christians". They weren't, Jesus calls them hypocrites. They were all about what others thought. But that doesn't mean that praying aloud is wrong. I'm a leader at my church, and I often pray for the Junior High boys and girls that I lead. But I don't go up on the stage and yell "Hey everyone I'm going to pray for Jane" and then pray for 10 minutes. You know what I mean? That's an extreme example. But yeah, as far as feeling uncomfortable goes, I have the gift of intercession and I'm still very self conscious praying in front of others. I think that's pretty normal, but you shouldn't let it handicap you.

I just want to be me and them be them. I feel that I will have done God a good service by being a good quality friend to that person and trying to live my life according to my principles. I feel like God is the one who saves- not me.

I've come to realize that ministry happens in the context of relationships. As in, if I go up to someone and say "Do you know Jesus?" And try to engage them in a spiritual conversation, it won't go well. If you're friends with someone, and they see how you live your life according to your principles and how you aren't a judgmental jerk but instead are a good friend, often times they'll want to know more about your faith. That's going to be a much more successful conversation. Sometimes they never will, and that's okay too. You're absolutely right, we don't save people, God does. But He often likes to use us in the process.

Sometimes I feel like a spiritual faliure but deep down I feel like I am just different then most others and am misunderstood.

God made us all different that's part of His awesome plan. We're called the body of Christ. If our body was made up of just feet or livers or something, we'd be useless. God's made everyone with different strengths and that's a beautiful thing.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't exactly understand it really myself, but I really don't like praying publically.

I feel very selfconscious I guess and I feel like all of a sudden I have to be "ON" for God. I just don't like it.

It doesn't feel natural to me and is not one of my gifts and I feel like people are judging me when I do or are appraising my spirituality based on how good of a speech I make to God on behalf of everyone. I have heard people say, wow you can tell this person is really in love with God by how they pray. I don't agree with that.

I don't think it bad to pray publically I just don't think it is for everyone. I admire those who have a gift for it but I just don't have it and don't feel that I fail some kind of litmus test because I don't.

I am not big about advertising for God so to speak, I am not out to save people- I don't befriend people as part of an outreach to save their souls- I befriend people because I simply like them and they don't have to share my personal spiritual or religious beliefs for me to be friends with them- they don't have to have any at all.

I just want to be me and them be them. I feel that I will have done God a good service by being a good quality friend to that person and trying to live my life according to my principles. I feel like God is the one who saves- not me.

I am not very evangelistic at all- it isn't a gift of mine either. I don't like preaching about God but I do enjoy asking questions about God-especially those which cannot be asnswered and asking others about their belief's.

Sometimes I feel like a spiritual faliure but deep down I feel like I am just different then most others and am misunderstood.

I wonder if anyone else can relate.
God is other people.

Journey

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
People should never bray in public. It's undignified.

I absolutely agree. No one should bray in public. It would be undignified.

However, praying in public is another matter entirely. It can be very dignified.

Oddly Refined

Enneagram
I never understood why someone should pray aloud. When I was a christian, I preferred to pray silently.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I don't exactly understand it really myself, but I really don't like praying publically.

Thank you. Please continue to refrain. :)

It honestly bothers me when people do that. It seems a little presumptuous.

You have no idea how irritating those loud, obnoxious Christians can be. It's so bad that I actually associated Christianity with being loud and obnoxious. You're doing everyone a favor with your example.

Two things I've found shouldn't be discussed in polite company... religion and politics.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Thank you. Please continue to refrain. :)

It honestly bothers me when people do that. It seems a little presumptuous.

You have no idea how irritating those loud, obnoxious Christians can be. It's so bad that I actually associated Christianity with being loud and obnoxious. You're doing everyone a favor with your example.

Two things I've found shouldn't be discussed in polite company... religion and politics.

How is it presumptuous? I've never found it to be irritating at all. And you associated Christianity with being loud and obnoxious? Are you 12?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
How is it presumptuous? I've never found it to be irritating at all.

Maybe that's because you're not an atheist/agnostic type. To be honest, I'd really rather not know a person's politics and religion if I don't have to. It's not easy for me to be comfortable around Christians once I know their religion, especially not conservative ones.

And you associated Christianity with being loud and obnoxious? Are you 12?

It's kind of hard not to do when you have all these kids around that pray loudly and run around singing gospel music at the top of their lungs in school. It honestly made me want to shove a sock in their mouth and duct tape it shut so I could concentrate when I was working on schoolwork.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Maybe that's because you're not an atheist/agnostic type. To be honest, I'd really rather not know a person's politics and religion if I don't have to. It's not easy for me to be comfortable around Christians once I know their religion, especially not conservative ones.
I am agnostic.

It's kind of hard not to do when you have all these kids around that pray loudly and run around singing gospel music at the top of their lungs in school.

Where do you live that people do this?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I am agnostic.

Oh. Nevermind, then.

Where do you live that people do this?

Texas. Maybe I was just in the wrong places at the wrong times. After all, for all the ones that annoyed me, there might have been 20 that were discreet and tolerable.

Seriously, though, it can get annoying. The worst was when this guy was practically making out with his girlfriend at lunch while bashing how unnatural and against God gays are. Granted, that only happened once, but it leaves an impression on you.

Note that "associated" was past tense, also. ;)

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Seriously, though, it can get annoying. The worst was when this guy was practically making out with his girlfriend at lunch while bashing how unnatural and against God gays are. Granted, that only happened once, but it leaves an impression on you.

This is a Christianity problem? Sounds like a people problem. I'm curious as to how you think ebullient celebration of faith [singing Gospel songs] or misguided personal sentiments justify your judgments about entire religions.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
This is a Christianity problem? Sounds like a people problem. I'm curious as to how you think ebullient celebration of faith [singing Gospel songs] or misguided personal sentiments justify your judgments about entire religions.

I didn't say they did.

You take everything too literally.

My point is that I think quieter Christians who pray to pray, and not to be heard, are doing everyone a favor, including other Christians. Because it sets a better example for them, and keeps non-Christians from forming poor opinions in irritation like I once did.

Also, I think it's more respectful to those of other religions when you avoid prayer or pray quietly.

Eiddy

Pronounced eye-ee-dee
MBTI Type
DEAD
Enneagram
1w2
I agree Athenian. I live in Egypt where I hear the call to prayer blasting in the streets. I think there would be less hate and more tolerance if everyone kept their religion like they do their sex in their bedrooms.

If someone sets a fine example then of course it may spark curiosity in some and if they feel comfortable enough to ask about their fine example and it's sources. Then by all means ask, that is what makes communication and conversation between two people excellent. The ability to learn, understand, and share.

Whereas a public shouting of everyone saying verses at the top of their voice on public transportation, well that just singles others out. If there is one thing, I cannot stand more than others it's having to listen to others religion being spewed in buses, businesses, and basically in public places. I am also agnostic. I will not say Tawheed with others, or after the mention of a name publicly say sayings to show I am a believer of their faith. It just segregates and separates.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think there would be less hate and more tolerance if everyone kept their religion like they do their sex in their bedrooms.

Yes, exactly. You got what I was talking about. :yes:
If someone sets a fine example then of course it may spark curiosity in some and if they feel comfortable enough to ask about their fine example and it's sources. Then by all means ask, that is what makes communication and conversation between two people excellent. The ability to learn, understand, and share.

Whereas a public shouting of everyone saying verses at the top of their voice on public transportation, well that just singles others out. If there is one thing, I cannot stand more than others it's having to listen to others religion being spewed in buses, businesses, and basically in public places. I am also agnostic. I will not say Tawheed with others, or after the mention of a name publicly say sayings to show I am a believer of their faith. It just segregates and separates.

Those are all good thoughts. They align rather well with what I've come to think is right, myself. You've actually given me more ideas to contemplate. Thanks. :)

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've never seen anybody praying aloud other than in church, and never been asked to pray aloud except at Bible study or maybe at another family's house been asked to give the blessing or some such. Where do people pray aloud other than in those circumstances?