• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Learning Styles: Different personality types learn best in different ways.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Learn: We each are unique individuals. Different personality types learn best in different ways. Wouldn't it behoove us to do personality testing to discover the child's best aptitude for learning? Having a child learn in their preferred tendency could very well yield increased strides in learning alongside actualizing a child's gifts. Why have we not done this yet? Now it is important for a child to be familiar with all different styles of learning. However would it not increase learning by focusing on a child's particular natural persuasion in learning?

The seven styles of learning:

(1) Visual (Spatial): You prefer using pictures, images, and spatial understanding.

(2) Aural (Auditory-Musical): You prefer using sound and music.

(3) Verbal (Linguistic): You prefer using words, both in speech and writing.

(4) Physical (Kinesthetic): You prefer using your body, hands and sense of touch.

(5) Solitary (Intrapersonal): You prefer to work alone and use self study.

(6) Social (Interpersonal): You prefer to learn in groups or with other people.

(7) Logical (Mathematical): You prefer using logic, reasoning and systems.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
(8) Explosive epiphany - my style of learning.

You take all the other methods and throw them against the wall of my mind. If you're patient with me there will come a time when I suddenly seem to know everything I didn't and excel at all the tasks I struggled with.

If you ask how, I can't tell, if you try to pinpoint a specific style, you will fail. It's been my great pain during education where the various governing bodies have been unable to help me (though many were made up of decent and truly caring people).

No pattern has been detected yet.

Except one : To bear with the misery of being incompetent and disliked long enough for the process to take place.

Unfortunately that patience is not just my own.

Metis

Learn: We each are unique individuals. Different personality types learn best in different ways. Wouldn't it behoove us to do personality testing to discover the child's best aptitude for learning? Having a child learn in their preferred tendency could very well yield increased strides in learning alongside actualizing a child's gifts. Why have we not done this yet? Now it is important for a child to be familiar with all different styles of learning. However would it not increase learning by focusing on a child's particular natural persuasion in learning?

The seven styles of learning:

(1) Visual (Spatial): You prefer using pictures, images, and spatial understanding.

(2) Aural (Auditory-Musical): You prefer using sound and music.

(3) Verbal (Linguistic): You prefer using words, both in speech and writing.

(4) Physical (Kinesthetic): You prefer using your body, hands and sense of touch.

(5) Solitary (Intrapersonal): You prefer to work alone and use self study.

(6) Social (Interpersonal): You prefer to learn in groups or with other people.

(7) Logical (Mathematical): You prefer using logic, reasoning and systems.

Definitely relate more to the three sensory styles. I have two modes for learning: Out of my head and in my head. I'm prone to getting pulled into my head, for whatever reason, but I don't find it that effective to get me where I want to go, and it isn't enjoyable. That's why, although I scored high on verbal & mathematical portions of standardized tests, and those would be considered my "strengths", I try to make things more sensate when I study. Don't want to be trapped in a headspace.

Now it is important for a child to be familiar with all different styles of learning.

Probably a good idea to have a balance among them.

However would it not increase learning by focusing on a child's particular natural persuasion in learning?

Then you run the risk of over-focussing on that and forcing them into that mold, based on the interpretation of the assessment. Even if you got it right, you can still be straitjacketing them if you're getting too particular about it. More creativity and variety in combining styles would be better. Address both strengths and weaknesses, but also address combinations. For example, I can be strong in both visual & verbal, but if they're two different modes of thinking for me, then I might not be strong at combining them, eg., discussing a work of visual art, or giving directions. I might be strong in both social and solitary learning, but it might be more of a challenge to shift from one to the other within a single project. Those are good skills to practice. I'm seeing way more creativity in regards to that stuff than I was seeing 20+ years ago, in general. Even with online learning in the picture, the teaching methods seem to be evolving to include more variety, instead of relying more heavily on a solitary/verbal/visual combo. I like the changes that I've seen.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I dont really learn. Well. Not in those ways.

My way is basically guessing. And guessing. And picking up little pieces of things and hoping that at some point- you can get enough pieces of the puzzle together that the rest of what you are trying to understand just naturally fits.

Ive just sort of realized... that isnt something that is going to easily work for me in the career I might be going into. And my major.

I need to find a new way of doing things- because in a situation where you have the entirety of the puzzle laid out in front of you... and you are supposed to be able to memorize the details of every single piece... well. Thats a ton harder for me. But thats what my major basically is.

So Im going to try something different. Im not going to even ATTEMPT to find my own understanding. Im not going to use the way I usually learn to understand this. Where... if I try enough things- I can figure out what does and doesnt work. I cant do that with this. I cant build outwards.

So. Im not going to do the problems. Im not going to try to understand anything... until I can see the entirety of the frame of what I need to know. So. That means.

That means reading. And rereading. And rereading so many times that these things become as familiar to me as the concept of the sky being blue and grass being green. Things that dont fit at first glane- facts that I might not immediately understand the relationship between- but that I know- and wherea-because Im familiar- so familiar- with the parts- I can eventually understand the concept of what sticks them all together.

I cant do it like I normally could. Where Id be like-the grass is purple/blue/yellow/green/orange- which makes sense? Because I dont have thefoundation yet- because this foundation is huge and tricky and very specific and clunky- to determine not only if Im wrong- but why.

Anyways. I dont know if this makes a ton of sense. But I dont really relate to any of those learning styles. I mean. I relate to some less than others. But none of them really seem... me

rav3n

The problem with tailoring teaching styles to learning styles is the structure of the educational system that places a teacher, the primary focus of the classroom and cost, the overwhelming priority. And pragmatically, how can a single teacher teach multiple styles for every lesson plan? Because the majority of students have multi-modal learning styles, the educational system thuds onwards.

This is why I support online education where the student can select the tutorials that best fit their needs.

Last edited:

rav3n

I am completely against online education or home schooling as a main form of education.
I like online but don't want the parents to make the choices for their children so we agree about home schooling.
First, everybody should learn about the different learning styles even if they don't have the qualities to excel in all of them.
Clearly, people should work to their weaknesses and not work to their strengths.
Second, one of the most important life lesson learned in school is the ability to teamwork.
Collaborations can be handled online.
Third, discipline and responsibility are also usually taught in school.
What makes you think they can't be taught via virtual classrooms? Skype's been around for a decade+.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance

Interesting idea, that might be it.

One of my personal discoveries was quite similar, in that I found the relationship between different kinds of attention are hugely important for how I might learn something. For example, it was a surprise to me that a focused, narrowly defined attention as demanded by mass schooling systems, seemed really counter-intuitive to how effective my learning experience was.

And not just in learning, but in many other areas of life. Try falling asleep by telling yourself you are going to sleep, while also attempting to mark the point where you cross over into unconsciousness..... It's functionally impossible because you are trying to bring an unconscious state into conscious attention, but it only happens at all precisely because you weren't looking for it and, like explaining a joke, that dissection kills it dead, or at least renders it into an unrecognisable form; one that can't really be called sleep anymore.

It's why I struggle most with tactile practical skills, they are applied and explained as if they require the most sequential and step based methods to learn, whereas I know the truth (at least as it seems to me) that there is the definition won through the cultural passing on of skills, but there is also the individual definition that requires both yourself and others to allow for the preferences of what arises naturally without a focused attention, in order to 'perfect' the skill by building upon it.

A simplistic example would be that I'm currently training to be a veterinary nurse and I'm being taught these basic skills (of which I am dangerously and embarrassingly lacking) of handling and scrubbing (areas for surgery) animals that come into practice. Yet, the methods don't entirely seem to get through to me and I annoy the ones who are supposed to be teaching me, but I can't help it if my height and size means the methods need to be 'instinctivised' to some degree and when that will happen is a mystery. And that creates distrust and I find it painful to know that others don't trust me or my abilities (or potential to develop).

Modern pressures of population numbers, money and time etc....tend to get in the way and can create both real and illusory stresses that demand efficient and effective methods which can be applied in a set manner for an outcome.

Must be frustrating to find out that individual preference remains; two different forms of the same swimming stroke.

It's certainly frustrating for me, but maybe that's because I'm a strange kind of useless compared to the more practical and logically-oriented people (of whom I have great admiration for).

I guess I just need more patience with myself, and to put up with my uneasy relations.

rav3n

The thing is that the students themselves have even less understanding of their weaknesses and the knowledge that they're missing. Most would prefer to do things that come naturally to them, so very few would choose to work on their less developed skills.
As long as standard curricula has been addressed, this makes no sense to me. There are many roads to the same destination.

You can't compare online to real-life communication. The latter includes many more stimuli thus helps to develop more complex neuronal pathways.
Can you provide a citation that backs up your opinion?

There's more here than meets the eye. Are you in education, whether as a student or working in the educational system?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The problem with tailoring teaching styles to learning styles is the structure of the educational system that places a teacher, the primary focus of the classroom and cost, the overwhelming priority. And pragmatically, how can a single teacher teach multiple styles for every lesson plan? Because the majority of students have multi-model learning styles, the educational system thuds onwards.

This is why I support online education where the student can select the tutorials that best fit their needs.
Some classrooms now seem to blend the approaches, with students accessing online resources which can be individualized, while the teacher works with them in small groups and one on one to facilitate. Of course this works best when classes are smaller, which most schools don't have the funding to support.

I am completely against online education or home schooling as a main form of education.
First, everybody should learn about the different learning styles even if they don't have the qualities to excel in all of them.
Second, one of the most important life lesson learned in school is the ability to teamwork.
Online education is a godsend in smaller communities where schools are far away, or small and limited in course offerings. Teamwork can just as easily be learned in scout troops, community bands/choruses, sports teams, etc. Honestly, the only thing I learned about teamwork in school was to hate working in teams. Discipline and responsibility should be taught first and foremost at home. And everywhere else I already mentioned. If the only place a child gets taught this is school, they won't learn it very well.

If anything, schools make it hard for students to develop a true sense of responsibility because they are told incessantly that the adults are responsible for them. They do not give students more responsibility and trust as they get older, and help them understand and learn from it when they err. All the choices are made for them.

The thing is that the students themselves have even less understanding of their weaknesses and the knowledge that they're missing. Most would prefer to do things that come naturally to them, so very few would choose to work on their less developed skills.
Every article and seminar on professional development I have encountered has observed that we get more out of developing our strengths than addressing our weaknesses. It is often enough to be aware of them, and develop strategies for compensating, such as that teamwork you mentioned.

rav3n

Some classrooms now seem to blend the approaches, with students accessing online resources which can be individualized, while the teacher works with them in small groups and one on one to facilitate. Of course this works best when classes are smaller, which most schools don't have the funding to support.
Aren't they trying to emulate the successful Finnish style of education?

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Aren't they trying to emulate the successful Finnish style of education?
I don't know enough about the Finnish system to say. I have heard about their great results, and do know that they do very little standardized testing, they hire teachers from among the top university graduates, and then they give them alot of autonomy in how they teach. This is all very different from the US "system".

rav3n

I don't know enough about the Finnish system to say. I have heard about their great results, and do know that they do very little standardized testing, they hire teachers from among the top university graduates, and then they give them alot of autonomy in how they teach. This is all very different from the US "system".
If I recall correctly, they let the children lead in how they learn best. So a classroom will be mixed in styles, with a lot of hands on and no rush to push the children through so they learn at their own pace.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I said that online education shouldn't be the primary educational method, not that it can't be helpful. It's a good way to learn about concepts and cultures that you have no interaction with. Teamwork is also to learn to listen to others, to discuss, to understand the different ways people think and communicate, exchange ideas. Sports teams, bands, scout troops certainly develop teamwork ability but it's of a different kind. You might have hated it, but now you have the skills to apply it, if needed, or at least know how other people are used to teamwork, even if you find this flawed. In any case, it gives you a perspective.
I guarantee I didn't learn how to work on a team at school. I don't see how teamwork in scouts, etc. differs from teamwork elsewhere. The goals and methods are different, but the idea of working together, communicating, being aware of differences, etc. still applies. Moreover, ability or desire to work on a team is just another one of those differences which should be respected, like the others. Online education can be primary if school attendance is a problem, supplemented by in-person instruction in critical areas, e.g. speaking a foreign language. With Skype, though, even this can be online. I have a friend who gives music lessons via skype to students too far away to meet in person.

I didn't have the impression that anyone was responsible for me at school. Quite the opposite. Teachers give homework and set expectations, nobody has the physical possibility or need to direct students' every thought. May be in the US is different. Compared to home schooling or online, interaction in regular schools is rather natural (or at least as natural as it gets in society) and not always pleasant, which encourages kids to learn how to deal with it, and to assert themselves as well as to tolerate differences.
Then your school was quite different, and you were lucky. In my town, elementary school students are not allowed to walk home from school on their own. 7 or 8 year olds are not allowed to walk from the bus to their homes, but must be met by a parent. Teachers don't try to direct the student's every thought, but they certainly try to direct his or her every action. 16 or 17 year olds, who in much of the world would be working or even responsible for a child of their own, are treated much the same as those 7 or 8 year olds, when they should be treated more like a young employee at a worksite. Schools in some other nations do this, for instance by allowing older students to come and go during the day as long as they attend classes and complete required work.

As for school interaction being "natural", perhaps in paralleling the lord-of-the-flies-like law of the jungle. I have found, though, that the environment and interaction in school was unlike that in any other environment in which I have found myself, which includes a variety of jobs, volunteer activities, church activities, and the military. It thus prepares students poorly for those environments. I cannot help but think it also contributes to the fact that employers in my area report difficulty in finding entry level employees who can do simple things like show up to work on time, interact professionally, etc.

If you think school is not giving opportunities for discipline and responsibility, how does home environment where the role of a parent and a tutor mingle, provide a decent way to acquire and test these skills? What about the families that fail to teach their kids in such qualities?
In the home environment, parents can give a child as much responsibility as he or she can handle based on demonstrated behavior, independent of actual age. A school does not bother to individualize like this, and imposes least-common-denominator policies on everyone. A student who consistently demonstrates mature and responsible behavior is not rewarded by being given more responsibility and autonomy, but rather is still forced to live under the same restrictions as the irresponsible students. This actually teaches that personal behavior and character don't matter, because you will be treated the same anyway. It also undercuts the efforts of parents who are trying to teach the opposite by encouraging and rewarding increased signs of maturity in their kids. As for families that fail in this, schools will never be able to compensate for inadequate family support, at least not conventional schools that students attend 6-7 hours of the day.

It depends what your final goal is. I suspect, without being an expert, that such narrow way of developing skills in a controlled environment, would lead to a narrow way of thinking and understanding the world. People are so prone to biases that I can't imagine this working properly without the right training, which school has the potential to provide. You release these people in society and see them clash on a regular basis, because everybody pulls their own end of the thread, not understanding that the opposition they meet isn't trying to destroy them, but is merely addressing their weaknesses.
So you think it is better for everyone to learn everything, than to focus on what they are good at, and work with others who have complementary strengths? I have yet to be in a workgroup - paid or volunteer - that operates that way.

rav3n

So should kids work on all their skills or not?
Can you explain why children must work on everything, particularly working through an educational system for 16 or more years, on their weaknesses, never mind allowing their strengths to atrophy? No wonder the U.S. produces mediocrity, relative to global standards.

It's not just an opinion but how the brain works - when the environment is rich in stimuli, the brain increases the complexity of neural pathways. Here, some sources to get a grasp:
Neuroplasticity
Brain Plasticity And Cognition
Adolescent Neurodevelopment

Studying online deprives one from the additional stimuli and therefore makes them less capable to handle sensory experiences in social context while working on a mental task. There are many things that we learn without noticing. One is getting a perfect grasp of it when they have to switch between treadmill and running in the wild.
Have you never video conferenced before? Also, are play groups and play dates a foreign concept to you?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

I agree, online is bad and can't match real school. Not to mention that online can for the most part only produce "office staff" kind of people.

However I do think that you are missing one important factor: and that is that you don't always get what you want in life. On the long run fully controlled environments are counter productive. Since reality fundamentally isn't controlled environment.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Then your school was quite different, and you were lucky. In my town, elementary school students are not allowed to walk home from school on their own. 7 or 8 year olds are not allowed to walk from the bus to their homes, but must be met by a parent. Teachers don't try to direct the student's every thought, but they certainly try to direct his or her every action. 16 or 17 year olds, who in much of the world would be working or even responsible for a child of their own, are treated much the same as those 7 or 8 year olds, when they should be treated more like a young employee at a worksite. Schools in some other nations do this, for instance by allowing older students to come and go during the day as long as they attend classes and complete required work.

As for school interaction being "natural", perhaps in paralleling the lord-of-the-flies-like law of the jungle. I have found, though, that the environment and interaction in school was unlike that in any other environment in which I have found myself, which includes a variety of jobs, volunteer activities, church activities, and the military. It thus prepares students poorly for those environments. I cannot help but think it also contributes to the fact that employers in my area report difficulty in finding entry level employees who can do simple things like show up to work on time, interact professionally, etc.

This only proves that very bad standards are in place. Especially since the job of the school is to help you with developing skills and thinking, not to mimic other environments in every detail.
Also the first thing they teach you in Croatian school are traffic rules, so that you can go home and back without any problems. Since the person that can't navigate physical space is incomplete. (we are SP nation rather than SJ nation).

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Actually, what most European notice about Americans is not necessarily mediocrity but a lack of common knowledge and a tendency for narrow-mindedness. It's always about here and know and all other information is irrelevant, while the latter often explains how to solve the problems of here and now without creating new ones.

That is basically the almost inevitable consequence of extreme individualism. They as society are trying to deregulate almost everything in the book, every argument is equally valid towards the free speech and lack of concrete support forces you to be constantly on the move. What doesn't really work too well on 21th century level since this technical level requires strong specialization, large but flexible structures and focus.

When person in Europe is getting specialized it is mostly focused just on school, while in US it is much more likely that you will have to flip burgers, worry about large medical bills etc. So it is natural that there is a deficit in what we consider to be "common knowledge". They simply don't seem to have the time or structures for that kind of stuff.

Not necessarily office staff but most likely people working on computers, programmers. In any case, such form of education doesn't train the full set of knowledge that a young student needs for understanding society.

Ok, since programmers count as "office people" in book. (computer, desk, chair, 4 walls)

rav3n

We are not standardized bricks in the wall.
Correct, hence why it confuses me that you'd push for mediocrity in the educational system, forcing children to be taught in by rote aural environments when the vast majority of children and people, as a generality, are visual learners (pictures and reading).

Actually, what most European notice about Americans is not necessarily mediocrity but a lack of common knowledge and a tendency for narrow-mindedness. It's always about here and know and all other information is irrelevant, while the latter often explains how to solve the problems of here and now without creating new ones.
How curious that you support a mediocre American educational system while bitching about the product of same. Analogous, you support the cruelty of the non-organic commercial meat farming but bitch about the lack of quality in meat. Well duh, garbage in, garbage out.

The stimuli during an online communication are less than irl nonetheless.
This disregards my second question where socialization can occur outside of the classroom. You don't have to be five senses stimulated at all times.