User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI None

Default Making Mistakes. Do you learn from them?

Mistakes: What is the value in making mistakes in life's journey? Do you learn from your mistakes? Describe the process on how you learn best from important life lessons. Are you afraid of making a mistake or are you bold and experiment by taking chances?

Quote:
    "Failure is only the opportunity to begin again more intelligently." Henry Ford (1863 – 1947)

Quote:
    "I have learned throughout my life as a composer chiefly through my mistakes and pursuits of false assumptions, not by my exposure to founts of wisdom and knowledge." Igor Stravinsky (1882 - 1971)
    LightSun Paul Peaceweaver

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I learn from mistakes all the time. I think I used to be afraid of making a mistake, but now I think it's better to risk it rather than avoid doing anything at all.
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Yes.

Unless I make the same mistake twice, in which case, no.

The process is based on how efficient my memory is at that moment in time, how tired I am or confident etc....& whether or not I can see what I did wrong.

More precisely there has to be a willingness to want to learn from a mistake; people often complain about repeated failures, about which they make no effort to change. So I guess throw emotional weight and gumption into that mix too.

Personally I tend to obsess a lot over how to learn from or correct a mistake and I like to have lots of goes since I'm an extremely slow learner.

Unfortunately circumstances don't always allow for that. Plus how many chances should someone get? Better to find out if you can even afford to make that mistake in the first place, anticipate.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.
    Likes lightsun liked this post

MBTI
    iNTJ
    Enneagram
    583 so/sp

Stupid people don't learn from mistakes, smart people learn from mistakes, while brilliant people learn from other people's mistakes.

Perhaps one of better ones.
    Likes Lark liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILI Te

I grew up learning from my parents mistakes and ended up really easily being a better human, and not fucking shit up like them all the time. I am good at avoiding mistakes, but yeah I also have been one to simply be passive and risk free. Which I am trying to overcome, but it is difficult because of anxiety.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

I do, but I was told I learn the wrong things out of them…
    People are more twisted than people think.

http://kevan.org/jh/nomendei | http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Nomendei

Always Intentional

Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak View Post
    I learn from mistakes all the time. I think I used to be afraid of making a mistake, but now I think it's better to risk it rather than avoid doing anything at all.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. One of my favorite sayings is “Failure is not the opposite of success - it is a part of it.”

Weaver of Worlds... Gentleman Jack's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram

What is the value in making mistakes in life's journey?

I don't know anymore. I used to think it was an important part of living life, an inevitable side effect of actions taken in a world so much bigger than me with nuances no one can fully understand. But now? I dunno. Maybe it's just something we tell ourselves to make us feel better about all the ways we fuck up. Ourselves, others, we come into this world, grow up in it, and see it get a little more rough for wear, nostalgia is a lie that we're brought up to believe in, so does anyone really learn anything or do we all just pick something that makes our brain scream less and say: Sure. It's important that happened because...I dont know...

Do you learn from your mistakes?

Some of them. I dont stick pennies in light sockets. I dont try to breathe under water. But then again, other things? No. I dont learn from all my mistakes, I still sometimes cling to this absurd notion that there's somehow a way things should be. That people are less shitty than everything you hear in the news makes it out to be, that people are more than a hairs breath from tearing each other to shreds... That there's some sort of value inherent in mercy. The silly stupid things that matter to people, do matter because someone cares about them. That there's hope of fixing things in my life that are broken. That when you take a hit, you get up and get back into the fight. I still hold out hope. That I'm not just a slow poison. So I learn from some and not others.

Describe the process on how you learn best from important life lessons.

I don't understand the question and I'm feeling honest enough to not try to pretend that I understand how to answer it let alone how to do it in life. If I have a process it's reflexive not cognizant as far as I know.

Are you afraid of making a mistake or are you bold and experiment by taking chances?

Of course I'm afraid of making mistakes. I grew up in an environment where mistakes didn't exist. Every action had one of two outcomes either it was perfect and every thing was fine. Or it wasn't and there was no excuse. So I learned to fear mistakes. But it's never stopped me from making them. At a certain point you realize. If I'm fucked no matter what I do, I might as well do something that seems like a good idea at the time. I don't really know how to ease into things irl so I just sort of throw myself into life, because I grew up seeing what happens to people who don't. There are no certainties in life, safety and security are a lie as far as I can tell. There are no certainties in life apart from the one that says one day you're numbers up. So I might as well try to look on the bright side of life...
    With all due respect,
    -Jack.

Disaster's snapping at my heels and it's time that I was somewhere far away. It's all up to me again, ennit? Somehow, I've got to stay ahead and get some new aces up my sleeve. But right now, all I really need's a smoke.

Likes Peter Deadpan, Luminous, lightsun liked this post

@Gentleman Jack - I have similar perspectives on self-analysis and the things we tell ourselves. It all seems rather romanticized, to a point where there can't possibly be a singular reason for why we do things. Yet there we sit with our pens and paper, or just our shower thoughts, weaving a web of fanciful excuses. What if we stripped all attempts to philosophically analyze ourselves and just said "I don't like that I did that, there is no excuse, I commit to change now".

Why can't it be that easy?
    Don't answer that.
    Rinse. Repeat.
    dead·pan
    /ˈded,pan/
    adjective: deliberately impassive or expressionless.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Likes Gentleman Jack, lightsun liked this post

Always Intentional

I’m on my phone and don’t do well with quoting but the first part of Jack’s post made me think of it... One thing that I do notice is how often people claim having made a mistake when in reality the “failure” was completely out of their hands/not a result of anything they did “wrong”. The opposite it true as well. But for this thread I’m considering how many people beat themselves up for what in essence is like...*not being able to predict the future*!or something.