• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are we dead, and is this forum the afterlife.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Actually my main tip off was a really f'ed up sci-fi short story published in the 70's. I watched the first season of Lost when it was on, it didn't grab me.

Hmmm, Purgatory is the obvious answer, and it does seem to fit the bill. I suspect there's more happening here...
What was the short story?

Mole

Permabanned
For millennia we have looked forward to the afterlife,a life of freedom, unencumbered, disembodied, pure spirits, dancing to the music of the universe.

Yet here we are: pure spirits, disembodied, but terrified of leaving our body behind.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I found this... just want to throw it out there...

“Some theorists believe that the setting of Gilligan’s Island is not an island, but rather Hell, and that its sinful inhabitants all perished in the crash of the SS Minnow. According to this theory, each character on Gilligan’s Island represents one of the Seven Deadly Sins. The millionaire Mr. Howell represents Greed, while his work-averse wife represents Sloth. Sexy movie star Ginger stands in for Lust, while innocent farm girl Mary Ann envies Ginger’s beauty and lifestyle. The smart Professor is prideful because he can’t admit that he is unable to fix the ship or get them off the island. Skipper, meanwhile, symbolizes two deadly sins: Gluttony and Wrath, because he’s always taking something out on poor Gilligan. Not that you should feel bad for the titular dimwit; these fans believe that Gilligan represents Satan. He’s constantly screwing up the group’s plans for rescue, and what’s more, he’s always wearing red. ”

— 9 Crazy Conspiracy Theories About TV Shows | Mental Floss

rav3n

And another thread appropriate gif.

-The-Walking-Dead-Zombies-zombies-39128815-245-165.gif

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I found this... just want to throw it out there...

“Some theorists believe that the setting of Gilligan’s Island is not an island, but rather Hell, and that its sinful inhabitants all perished in the crash of the SS Minnow. According to this theory, each character on Gilligan’s Island represents one of the Seven Deadly Sins. The millionaire Mr. Howell represents Greed, while his work-averse wife represents Sloth. Sexy movie star Ginger stands in for Lust, while innocent farm girl Mary Ann envies Ginger’s beauty and lifestyle. The smart Professor is prideful because he can’t admit that he is unable to fix the ship or get them off the island. Skipper, meanwhile, symbolizes two deadly sins: Gluttony and Wrath, because he’s always taking something out on poor Gilligan. Not that you should feel bad for the titular dimwit; these fans believe that Gilligan represents Satan. He’s constantly screwing up the group’s plans for rescue, and what’s more, he’s always wearing red. ”

— 9 Crazy Conspiracy Theories About TV Shows | Mental Floss

IOW, Gilligan is like the pre-incarnation of Sith Lord Jar-Jar Binks. Got it.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
IOW, Gilligan is like the pre-incarnation of Sith Lord Jar-Jar Binks. Got it.

Woah, I didn't make that connection. I believe we've uncovered another of Lucas's great inspirations. Akira Kurosawa, the bold adventure of early American serials and Gilligan's Island.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think, since our perceptions are largely the product of subconscious autopilots in our heads - filling up our internal whiteboards with narrative to make sense of emotions that accompany otherwise objective stimuli - whether we are in heaven, hell, or purgatory would depend on what our autopilots have been trained (since birth) to paint on the canvas.

Either that, or it's like a kind of "figure out the most meaningful thing you've ever experienced" exercise, like in the movie After Life (google description) : "a group of people who have recently died find themselves in a limbo realm resembling a relatively mundane building. Counselors, including Takashi (Arata) and Shiori (Erika Oda), are on hand to help new arrivals pick one memory from their lives to bring with them into eternity."

Or something exactly in the middle. I'm gonna go with something exactly in the middle, actually. Since the former will necessarily interfere with the latter.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think, since our perceptions are largely the product of subconscious autopilots in our heads - filling up our internal whiteboards with narrative to make sense of emotions that accompany otherwise objective stimuli - whether we are in heaven, hell, or purgatory would depend on what our autopilots have been trained (since birth) to paint on the canvas.
Maybe it's Kuwait. :shrug:

Opinion: Are we dead or just in Kuwait? — Duffel Blog

Sundae

MBTI Type
INFP
This is a very serious topic, note that it's in Philosophy and Spirituality, not The Bonfire. I have reason to believe that we all are dead. Not everybody in the world, just the people here at TypoC. Like Bruce Willis in The Sixth Sense. And if I spoiled that movie for you, it's your own fault for not seeing it. Since that's probably true, what does it mean?

Is this hell, heaven, some sort of purgatory. Which religious framework is it in. What does it mean when you're banned from here, or just stop posting?

There's so much to know now that we know, fellow corpses.

We were discussing Buddhism in my art class today, and as the professor explained the religion I couldn't help but think how, for Buddhists, life is basically limbo.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
We were discussing Buddhism in my art class today, and as the professor explained the religion I couldn't help but think how, for Buddhists, life is basically limbo.

I just finished that game.

Either Limbo, or life.

Now you see me, now you don't, unless you're that kid from 6th Sense.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It would certainly be lonely. Internet communication only goes so far.