• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Wise sayings which when held up to the light of scrutiny are In fact in error.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Wise sayings which when held up to the light of scrutiny are In fact in error. Are these truths to live by or unproven myths when when held up to the light of scientific scrutiny do not pass the test. Are these wise sayings taken for granted or even questioned? In that case they amount to mere wives tales which are passed down each generation. If that is indeed the case they hold us back from further emotional and spiritual development. Are the following quotes truth or a myth?

(1) 'Words don't hurt us or affect us unless we let them."

(2) “That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” Friedrich Nietzsche

(3) "We have total control and Free Will."

(4) "We have reason to act angrily with "Self Righteousness Anger."

(5) "If I put my mind to it i can do anything." If my intention I put into the universe I will receive. "Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

(6) If another person does something unjust, he or she will get their just deserts. The notion of what goes around comes around."

(7) "The universe is (In human subjective terminology) 'Fair' 'Just' or a 'Loving' universe."

(8) " Just by Thinking, Feeling or Believing it to be true then it must be true."

(9) "We put out positive energy to universe and we shall receive in equitable proportion receive back positive energy."

(10) "Love is the only channel to usher peace. Love is the answer. And the world shall be a better place."

(11) "Use of our rod you spare the child."

(12) "I came from nothing. If I did such, you can too. If not it's your fault. You are not trying hard. It shows a character fault."

(13) "Nothing external to you has any power over you." Ralph Waldo Emerson

(14) "Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves." Carl Jung

(15) "Everything happens for a reason,"

(16) Are we in the dawn of a new spiritual awakening?

(17) "When it is darkest, men see the stars.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

(18) "I have overcome a dysfunctional home and raised my children with love and (pertinent) I have not allowed my childhood experience to affect me.

(19) "The eyes are the mirror of the soul."

(20) "We don't meet people by accident. They are meant to cross our path for a reason.'

(21) "Everything heals. Your body heals. Your heart heals. The mind heals. Wounds heal. Your soul repairs itself. Your happiness is always going to come back. Bad things don't last."

Share any wise saying you find fault with.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
One of my favorites is: "You can't have your cake and eat it, too." I never understood how you can eat a cake you don't have.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
One of my favorites is: "You can't have your cake and eat it, too." I never understood how you can eat a cake you don't have.

Indeed [MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION], I do not know how it is possible for people to essentially swallow information that is spoon fed to them and yet do not reflect on the merits of these passed down wise sayings. I discovered that quite a sizable amount of what is passed down as wisdom contain fallacies of thought such as generalizations and all or nothing or black and white thinking. They amount to wives tales. It is time we grow up. I've often advocated learning how to critically think at a young age.

What is more essentially coming from my profession is the knowledge of just how many thought fallacies there are in the human subconscious. There is an a person exercise monitors their own thought process. The second step is to weed out any of 10 cognitive distortions and 10 irrational ideas that people might hold. These come from the psychology field of CBT (cognitive behavior therapy) and REBT (rational emotive therapy) respectfully.

Finally one exchanges their thoughts in a more realistic manner. The people who have not tried this exercise wold be very shocked at just how many thought distortions there are in our subconscious. This leads to automatic behavior without reflection. In using this method a person becomes more self aware and mindful. Therefore this leads to wiser courses of action before reacting in an instinctual manner without much forethought.

I consider this a mental discipline. As in martial arts one does not posses the skills or training in mastering the art. So in like manner is learning to train our minds.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Truth or unproven myth?

(1) 'Words don't hurt us or affect us unless we let them."

"The saying that words cannot affect us unless we choose to let them has an element of truth. It takes one to be triggered by words. If one has healthy sense of self and esteem and is emotionally and psychologically well adjusted the words of others have fewer effects on a person. Where it isn't true is take children. They are the most susceptible to the words of others whether peers or especially parents. I believe parents as mini-gods. They can shape and mold a child based on their words.

If they give praise and reassurance the child is likely to develop a better sense of self for life. If on the other hand the parent is judgmental and harsh then the child is more apt to develop a lower sense of self esteem. This can haunt the child thereafter for life. Also, even in adults, angry and argumentative language and energy can have an effect on us just as we react to laughter and smiling so can we be affected by the interpersonal bond of humanity when another is negative."

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Truth or unproven myth?

(2) “That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” Friedrich Nietzsche

If it doesn't kill you it only makes you stronger" is an erroneous belief. In the psychology field a term called 'flooding' can occur if too much trauma is manifest and can't be processed. The person in question may then endure flashbacks, P.T.S.D. symptoms, anxiety attacks and other symptoms of a re-experienced trauma.

I believe in a striving for a balance between our inner phenomenological universe and our external reality. Our lives do not always turn out as expected. We may get blind sided by our real outer reality and have our beliefs forced into question. When external reality meets expected reality cognitive dissonance can occur. It may then be a time for reflection about ourselves, reality and what is life's true meaning.It will take time for the mind to adjust and finally assimilate a new set of circumstances. .

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Truth or unproven myth?

(3) "We have total control and Free Will. (and the key word is total).”

It has been shown by science that the unconscious makes a decision and choice before the conscious is aware of coming to a decision much less a choice. Our choices are determined by a nature and nurture paradigm. We is in part our hard-wiring which are our genes. it has been found that many of our characteristics and personality traits are in part preset before birth.

The other part of the equation is the soft-ware created by our experiential life lessons. In combination they result in an unconscious belief system. In our unconscious are also the cognitive schema's we learned during our developmental stages in early childhood. Together they dictate in the subconscious mind the choices we will ultimately decide and choose upon. .