• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The New Left vs. The Alt Right: It's a trap!

How so?

I mentioned it as you had took the detour into monasticism and I mentioned it in that respect.

To address you concern: Sex is a basic instinct similar to hunger, thirst, or survival. Sex is the easiest thing to do. Heck, you can even "pretend" to have sex by yourself if you can't find a partner. Sex even happens in your sleep sometimes. However, sex is not a "need" per se. You won't die from lack of sex. Blue balls, maybe, but not death. So, the Church teaches us the "practice" of abstinence in order that if we can successfully make a long-term decision with something as basic as sex, we will be mature enough in more pressing issues that come up in marriage life. It's a lot harder to restrict our sexual urges than it is to give in to them, asexuals not withstanding. Homosexuality is more an issue of vanity/vainglory and lust combined taken to its logical extreme.

Orthodoxy doesn't restrict familial life to it's clergy unlike Roman Catholicism so that isn't an issue. However, monastics are supposed to control their sexual lust as their vocation is to be focused on the things of the spirit and not of the flesh. That's why they take those vows. No one is putting a gun to their head to be monastics, unlike the Soviets who put a gun to their heads to renounce monasticism.

So again, I don't know how sex even becomes a part of this discussion even when talking about monasteries. Just seems like a bizarre preoccupation with sex (which doesn't surprise me because the world is bizarrely preoccupied with sex, as well). I'd say the same thing if the complaint was "We're not allowed to eat T-bone steak every night at the monastery." If you want steak every night, don't be a monk. :shrug:

It's not like these monks and nuns are taking their vows only to find out later "WTF we can't have sex!?!?!" Dude, you knew the rules when you came here. Gotta put away the old man, and become new.

Lark

To address you concern: Sex is a basic instinct similar to hunger, thirst, or survival. Sex is the easiest thing to do. Heck, you can even "pretend" to have sex by yourself if you can't find a partner. Sex even happens in your sleep sometimes. However, sex is not a "need" per se. You won't die from lack of sex. Blue balls, maybe, but not death. So, the Church teaches us the "practice" of abstinence in order that if we can successfully make a long-term decision with something as basic as sex, we will be mature enough in more pressing issues that come up in marriage life. It's a lot harder to restrict our sexual urges than it is to give in to them, asexuals not withstanding. Homosexuality is more an issue of vanity/vainglory and lust combined taken to its logical extreme.

Orthodoxy doesn't restrict familial life to it's clergy unlike Roman Catholicism so that isn't an issue. However, monastics are supposed to control their sexual lust as their vocation is to be focused on the things of the spirit and not of the flesh. That's why they take those vows. No one is putting a gun to their head to be monastics, unlike the Soviets who put a gun to their heads to renounce monasticism.

So again, I don't know how sex even becomes a part of this discussion even when talking about monasteries. Just seems like a bizarre preoccupation with sex (which doesn't surprise me because the world is bizarrely preoccupied with sex, as well). I'd say the same thing if the complaint was "We're not allowed to eat T-bone steak every night at the monastery." If you want steak every night, don't be a monk. :shrug:

It's not like these monks and nuns are taking their vows only to find out later "WTF we can't have sex!?!?!" Dude, you knew the rules when you came here. Gotta put away the old man, and become new.

Its a thing in the RCC at present.

One of the most recent groups of clerics from Ireland being sent to Rome to be confirmed as priests had to be sent back to Ireland in disgrace as they were found to be involved with one another. Or so it was widely enough reported to become a joke on a popular news panel show. Its just something that would put me off ever joining the religious, whether monastic or not.

The history of celibacy in the RCC is connected with the crusades so far as I know, the church knew it could not afford to take care of bereaved dependents or so I've heard anyway. There are bible references to support it but there's always biblical references to support that the disciples were married. Possibly even that Jesus was married or had a brother, I'm not sure which.

Icedream

Absurdus Malum
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I suppose it's better than the usual flood of jargon that members usually try to force down eachother's throats.

featherless-biped

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
The New Left was a 1960's movement. There is nothing new about contemporary leftism. It's just taken on a particular hue because it's being colored by elements of the current generation and the modern world. Not that your average centrist actually knows the first thing about leftism to begin with, so I suppose I would expect no less. There is also nothing "alt" and about the far right. They are just like they were last century, just with more internet. No need to keep reinventing the wheel.