• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Understanding Zarathustra

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Having spent the past four years, as sort of a hobby...researching the evolution of global religions, albeit with a primary focus on pre-Christian Indo-European. Recognize several items mentioned, by the individual being interviewed as reasonably true, without having to break open a search engine.

Persia is where my paternal ancestors were from. During the Zarathustra period. They moved to Rome after the 7th Century, to escape the invading Arabs. Rome eventually turned into a crap hole, so they moved up to the Swiss-German Alps, over to England for the War of the Roses in the late 1400's.

What fascinates me is the figure of Mitra. That evolved into the cult of Mithra for the Romans, and their temples were often built near Christian structures in England. Or, exploring Joytish, and noticing I was born under the sign of Anurada Nakshatra...where Shani is the lord, but Mitra is the energetically assigned deity.

Religion is a funny thing. Evolving as peoples encounter, conquer, merge ideas, etc. Aspects of Zarathustra, I recognize as mirroring and being preserved in Christianity, especially Roman Catholicism. Decades ago, I would have had quite a bit of difficulty accepting that notion, so ok with me...if other's find the thought disagreeable.

Similar, to anyone who has seriously studied Judaism through a purely historical lens. There were several interesting "morphs" along the way. I won't go into, but it largely mirrors what was going on both pre-, during and post- the Hellenization periods...all over the globe.

I suppose, the subconscious root of my search, which includes conventional methods, along with three differing DNA explorations...was most likely rooted in hearing the phrase 'God of my Fathers' which appears in the Bible, not once, but 42 times. Sure, carry a bit of European Jewish DNA as well from one of the mother's on the maternal side.

On a side note, tradition had been dad's line was Norman. Sure, there's Scandi DNA as well, but turned out our surname was adopted after the Switzer died in England, during the Anglicization period. Which kind of "bizarre" to be 55 percent "Swiss" when our family has been here since 1631, and the Swiss actively discouraged immigration to the US...until around 1840.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been thinking about how Zarathustra...as it migrated with individuals of the Caucasoid/Persian origins into the Alps...influenced Swiss culture as it evolved and reasonably survives today, in the midst of heightened Globalization and the unique admixture that evolve around the mountain range.

How many here have ever heard of the Swiss Christmas tradition of Krampus? Pre-Christian Alpine traditions - Wikipedia

Krampus to me symbolizes the concept of Angra Mainyu vs. most of the other theories that I've read, formulated albeit most likely in absence of what I/others percieve today as to the reasonably "proven" migration patterns via auspice of histories and DNA.

Then there's the oddity of "Fondue." Along with the concept of Muesli. Zarathustra had very specific thoughts on a proper diet, toward obtaining a more highly evolved state within the context of the human condition and the after-life. If anyone ask, I'd be more than happy to clarify what my perception is...but suffice to say vegetarianism was advocated as a primary norm, along with highly valuing what goats and cows might share in the form of lacto-oriented food stuffs. Fish, and other forms of sea life were permissible, and lamb flesh reluctantly, excepting for certain fasting periods.

Animals also have more legal protections vs. most places in the world. Zarathustra considered them to be very much aware and full of soul/spirit, no differing than humans. It's considered cruel to deny animals routine interaction with their own kind. So in many Cantons, expect to get not one domestic house pet but two.

As to what's preserved of Alpine spirituality in general, three goddesses... Which mirrors a topical spiritual concept, and as to considerations of the divine feminine? I'd be hard pressed to identify, almost any culture, anywhere during the period and a millennium afterward...that appeared to consider females more so as equals/valued partners. Norse/Germanic cultures also mirrored those aspects, until the Abrahamic religions came along and shifted the mindsets within the landscapes.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Zalmoxianism - Wikipedia

Thrace/Dacia appears to resemble several aspects of Zarathustra, especially the concept of Sacred Fire. The example is from modern day Romania.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So you carry the blood of the ancients, those lost to the sands...

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Super disappointed that this isn't an academic discussion about the forum member.