• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Gift: What is your special gift in life?

Mole

Permabanned
I was just looking into this. HSP is correlated with high Openness to Experience, low Extraversion, and high Neuroticsm, but it breaks down into three sub-constructs:

• Ease of excitation: the feeling of being overwhelmed by both external and internal demands. Correlated positively with Neuroticism and negatively with Extraversion.
  • Aesthetic Sensitivity: the awareness of aesthetics in ones surroundings. Correlated positively with Openness to Experience.
  • Low Sensory Threshold: unpleasant sensory arousal. Correlated positively with Neuroticism.

It's kind of interesting the more neutral/positive parts of emotional awareness are mostly captured by Openness to Experience, and emotional reactivity by Neuroticism. It make sense that introversion would be correlated with feeling overwhelmed by sensory input.

(I do wish) Big Five terms were a little more neutral, though.

You have done well Seymour with HSP, what do you think of OE?

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thank you both, [MENTION=3325]Mole[/MENTION] and [MENTION=8074]Seymour[/MENTION] for the replies.
I'm going to read the link some, finish my dinner, then break down and create a thread about HSP in Psychology (after searching to make sure one's not already there lol). Don't want to derail this thread :)

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was just looking into this. HSP is correlated with high Openness to Experience, low Extraversion, and high Neuroticsm, but it breaks down into three sub-constructs:

• Ease of excitation: the feeling of being overwhelmed by both external and internal demands. Correlated positively with Neuroticism and negatively with Extraversion.
  • Aesthetic Sensitivity: the awareness of aesthetics in ones surroundings. Correlated positively with Openness to Experience.
  • Low Sensory Threshold: unpleasant sensory arousal. Correlated positively with Neuroticism.

It's kind of interesting the more neutral/positive parts of emotional awareness are mostly captured by Openness to Experience, and emotional reactivity by Neuroticism. It make sense that introversion would be correlated with feeling overwhelmed by sensory input.

(I do wish) Big Five terms were a little more neutral, though.

I imagine it would be interesting for HSP to manifest in an 'extrovert'. As I have it too. Very sensitive to too much information all at once, lights, sounds, taste, and my emotions(when I feel them anyway). Thus limiting such exposure. In my case, it could be oversensitive Ne data absorption.

I've heard of an ENTJ with HSP supposedly... Idk how that works.

I'm just wondering how it all works in theory. Because technically in a way it's like being extremely introverted

tony_goth

Pseudo-delusional Rebel
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
My special gift in life is to be pessimistic. And pessimistic people make mistakes most often in their own favor. That's why I'm happy to be pessimistic.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My special gift in life is to be pessimistic. And pessimistic people make mistakes most often in their own favor. That's why I'm happy to be pessimistic.

What if you're both? Life's a piece of shit, truly a terrible trip. Glass half Empty we know that's legit, but despite this bit can still see would could be, in favor of very own me, or should I say we? So too is the glass is half full of a special variety chip mystery bowl.

Shadow Play

Probably my curiosity. I have this insatiable appetite to learn all I can, and although I'm a bit more settled these days, I did have a lot of wanderlust in my youth. I attribute this quality as the driving factor which allows me to get out of bed every day. It helps with finding opportunities and in seeing different ways of looking at things.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Reframing people's perspectives.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is a nice and calming question. Gift...maybe a radically different experience and memory of what's it like to live in the 21st century? I feel like an old man already with all these memories. Don't know if it's a gift. People can really stigmatize you.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm really good at public speaking, which is always fun to surprise people with since it seems like I would hate it, being an introvert and all.

I also excel at taking things apart without breaking them, and putting them back together without having parts leftover, which means I can fix anything without any special knowledge of the subject- cars, furnaces, pinball machines, phones, etc.

Im also told that this skill translates into the ability to think, in general, because of the constraints that reality imposes on our ambitions. I think it's easy for people to get ahead of themselves when they "fix" things in an ideological sense, without realizing that they've already completely broken what they're working on without realizing it.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Other than being an open channel for Reiki energy to flow through, I’ve already had a gift (which sometimes felt like a curse!) of being an empath. I can sense - and even take on - the emotions of others.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Most suggest it is my cheery nature no matter what punches me XD

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Cat whisperer. There is no cat I cannot befriend. Even my friend’s cat who hated everyone eventually loved me. My old neighbors’ cats used to follow me home/try to come inside my house!

GoggleGirl17

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think it's flexibility. I'm attuned to the gray areas of life, so I function in chaos really well, and I know how to make seemingly impossible situations work.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can make angry people feel sleepy irl because I sit there and blink my eyes at them.

I can make stuff fit into small spaces to an almost unreal degree

I can make animals think I'm one of them

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Way with words, and the ability to adapt whatever message I need to get across according to the situation.