• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hate: How do have hate in your heart? What do you hate?

Amberiat

Infinity
I have been in and around a lot of deep ecology, BLM and radfem circles (strong overlap with these circles; I know, big shocker there lol). However, I cannot bring myself to hate frackers, cops, or men, respectively. I find hate to be an illogical emotion, and choose to educate rather than spew hate... Someone's mind is rarely changed by hating them.

Hate is not the only illogical emotion, emotion itself is illogical, that's the whole point of it, it's a feeling, not a carefully constructed train of thought.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hate is not the only illogical emotion, emotion itself is illogical, that's the whole point of it, it's a feeling, not a carefully constructed train of thought.
Emotions are about as illogical as hunger, pain, or the flavor of food. I see them as something we simply experience, like the input of our five senses. What is often illogical is how we use this information, and how we respond to it.

Lark

Emotions are about as illogical as hunger, pain, or the flavor of food. I see them as something we simply experience, like the input of our five senses. What is often illogical is how we use this information, and how we respond to it.

They can be awesome like beer or unamerican like hangover.

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
*Shrugs* Some emotions make perfect sense, and are indeed carefully constructed and intricate. The sadness of losing a loved one, or anger towards the problems in the world. In fact, emotions often have layers, and are rather complex, sometimes almost contradictory. I just think it's odd to feel downright hatred for people you've never personally been wronged by, or people you have never even met, particularly if they belong to a group. There's a lot of racial animus in the U.S. right now, which sucks. I'm not color blind, so to speak, but I just don't get the hatred towards: blacks by white nationalists, or whites by a lot of blacks. There's a lot to be angry about, of course, but I would think that hating people is counterproductive, whatever side you're on.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

Emotions are part of the human experience. However when people act irrationally giving in to their base emotions their (1) thinking contains distortions in reason. (2) A person is most likely projecting their own issues along unresolved personal baggage. They are (3) reacting to the situation and not thinking clearly. One fallacy in reasoning is a cognitive distortion called emotional reasoning. It goes like this. I feel it to be so, ergo it is so or else true. This is a fallacy and gross human error in judgment and is lacking usage of critical thought.

A good key one's (4) blind spot has been (5) triggered is if one has a negative emotion. I have the analogy of the warning engine light in a car. It is a warning and Gage point of an internal disturbance. If I have a negative emotion, and my body is not directly being affected, then I am thinking in a distorted manner. The negative emotion and the warning engine light are synonymous. I have a negative emotion, and then there is an internal problem. I have had my bind spot triggered. A fear or my (6) ego has been triggered. Therefore I may act irrationally defending a point with verbal and perhaps physical violence, to defend my 'truth.' Rather than acting out against reality like the blind men, look within and correct your reasoning.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Negative emotions (hate, anger, frustration) are generally signs that a value we hold dear has been violated in some manner. Positive emotions (love, contentment, happiness) usually indicate that our values are being mirrored and validated by the world or the people around us.

Negative emotions are usually a sign that we need to make a change. Our values aren't in alignment with the environment around us. So we need to either change our values (realize that they're unrealistic and adjust them--and our behavior--accordingly) or change our environment (put up boundaries or create distance between ourselves and toxic people or situations). Or maybe a little of both.

In that sense, times of hate and anger have been some of my most productive times: They have been times of change, creativity, and learning. Usually painful, but also usually much-needed. And sometimes leading to new beginnings and great joy.

The main thing is to get to the bottom of the issue, make a call, take your shot, and then let go of the emotion once you've dealt with the situation the best you can. Dwelling on a negative emotion without making a change (or without even seeing the need for change) is about the only really wrong thing here: That way lies depression, anxiety, neurosis and all that other fun stuff.

'Negative Emotions Analogous to a Cars Internal Emergency Warning Light Signifying an Internal Problem''

"I have the analogy of the warning engine light in a car. It is a warning and Gage point of an internal disturbance. If I have a negative emotion, and my body is not directly being affected there are distortions and fallacies of thought and cognitive reasoning. The negative emotion and the warning engine light are synonymous. It is a reflection of unfinished business and unresolved conflict. Our emotions are being triggered. In a sense we are not awake yet. A goal is being more aware in both cognitive science and Buddhism.

Both cognitive therapy and Buddhism imply that we really need to wake up by being more aware of how we think, speak and act. We in effect take personal responsibility and act with an internal locus of control. This is an opportunity for growth however if we reflect and take pains to act with reason and not react towards reality in an irrational manner or by being negative. In this way we discover the falsehoods and think and act more in accordance with reality.

We become aware of our subconscious thought process and do not react blindly in an automatic fashion. A recommended book is 'Feeling Good' by David Burns, 1980 to learn the principles. We become more truly aware of both ourselves and reality and so grow mentally, emotionally and spiritually. We become awake and reach a heaven on earth, nirvana and personal self-actualization. The bottom line really we will become happier as well as more fulfilled in life."

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I can’t totally agree with you, but you are mostly right. Kids are also often educated to be emotional than to think rationally. And it’s comprehensive. It is easier to let your emotions out thinking to be right than to take on yourself with a logical reasoning.
Have you ever noticed how protagonist are emotional and physically strong, and villains are intelligent? Fascinating.

'Taking The High Road'

"We are responsible for our own thoughts, actions and speech.

(1) Do not think negative thoughts, but deal with the situation in a rational manner.

(2) Do not communicate with negative energy in words or writing. It shows a reflection of you and not the other.

(3) Do not react in a negative fashion. Instead take acts accordingly using reason. realistically. Use proper restraint even if negative energy is directed at you.

Whatever the other individual does is a direct reflection of themselves. If they choose to go the negative route, they accomplish nothing. They only create more confusion in this world. They are projecting their fears, stereotypes and prejudices.What is more they have no awareness and insight of this fact. Now we influence each other with positive or negative energy. In this universe for every action there is an equal reaction.

So the natural tendency is to repay negative energy with more negative energy. This feels very good and we feel self- righteous about it. After all the other is in the wrong and not us. In our mind the other is blind and does evil, immoral, wrong words or actions. But the key is that it is irrelevant to one's path. Our path is our own. Remain true to yourself and walking your talk on the path of life. How we act, speak and think is a direct reflection of our inner self.

The key is that being negative in even the slightest is a true reflection of self and not the other. The other's path is their destiny. In meeting a negative individual take the high rod and do not sink to the lesser road more frequently traveled by others. We must remain mindful and hold ourselves to a higher standard. We need to remind ourselves that the lesser road most traveled by other people is one where one does not learn from the lessons of life.Our choice to take the High Road and not give in to our base emotions yields growth."

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
"Hate: How do have hate in your heart? What do you hate? Hate many times is caused by Fear, Ignorance and Pain:"

Generally speaking, no. I experience hate as an emotion, but rarely do I use it to create a stance against something, unless I have to.
If I get troubled or bothered in any way, I want things to be over with ASAP. Overly indulging in hate is a waste of time and energy. I lose my focus, or hyperfocus on unimportant things. Every time I remember that, I wonder why I feel angry at all. Every time that happens, the fire in my head disappears. I find it easy to cool off.

“Do not hate. It is based on ignorance and fear.

I would disagree. Is all hate really based off those two things?

Hate shows you that something is wrong, that something isn't going the way you want it to. It's a signal, a sign. If hate allows you to see or accomplish something, I'd say go for it. Sometimes there isn't anything to understand, sometimes it is others' ignorance getting in your way and sometimes you just have to get those obstacles out. It's people's choices to be consumed by hatred or to use and understand it, and the latter is definitely the goal. But to 'not hate' in entirely is an absurd endeavor, and is just another kind of limit placed on one's self, a moralistic one. To toss it away is just as limiting as choosing to absolutely listen to it.

I'm always sceptical towards things such as these, to shed 'bad' emotions and replace them with 'good' ones.

Rather seek to learn and understand that which you do not understand. Grow. Do not shrink in hatred. Transcend your fears and broaden your horizons. You thus see reality more clearly, fully and more beautifully. Or else stay in your prison self-imposed by your hate, shallow, forlorn and bereft of hope. It is a choice. Choose freedom-not hateful ignorance. That is what hate is, ignorance and pain, both of the worst kind.”

Either way, I agree that if there is something that brings out the feelings of hate within you, you should seek to understand why. Acting on the spur of the moment, especially fueled by emotions, is reckless. Rather, look within and see what it is you want to achieve, there are better ways (for everyone) than to resort to destructive rage. But I disagree that hate turns into a self-imposed prison; again, it depends on how you use that hate, how you react to it.

Nomendei

Elegance of chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
'Taking The High Road'

"We are responsible for our own thoughts, actions and speech.

(1) Do not think negative thoughts, but deal with the situation in a rational manner.

(2) Do not communicate with negative energy in words or writing. It shows a reflection of you and not the other.

(3) Do not react in a negative fashion. Instead take acts accordingly using reason. realistically. Use proper restraint even if negative energy is directed at you.

Whatever the other individual does is a direct reflection of themselves. If they choose to go the negative route, they accomplish nothing. They only create more confusion in this world. They are projecting their fears, stereotypes and prejudices.What is more they have no awareness and insight of this fact. Now we influence each other with positive or negative energy. In this universe for every action there is an equal reaction.

So the natural tendency is to repay negative energy with more negative energy. This feels very good and we feel self- righteous about it. After all the other is in the wrong and not us. In our mind the other is blind and does evil, immoral, wrong words or actions. But the key is that it is irrelevant to one's path. Our path is our own. Remain true to yourself and walking your talk on the path of life. How we act, speak and think is a direct reflection of our inner self.

The key is that being negative in even the slightest is a true reflection of self and not the other. The other's path is their destiny. In meeting a negative individual take the high rod and do not sink to the lesser road more frequently traveled by others. We must remain mindful and hold ourselves to a higher standard. We need to remind ourselves that the lesser road most traveled by other people is one where one does not learn from the lessons of life.Our choice to take the High Road and not give in to our base emotions yields growth."

This is some wise words you write, but I think it belongs here: Wise sayings which are false and indeed erroneous.

You say that every action has its equal opposite reaction, quoting Isaac Newton. However, this only applies to physics. What you are doing is something I think is enormously erroneous. I see two possibilities.

The first is that you use it as a metaphor. A metaphor is used to persuade. To give a visualization to your point. What I think is bad, using Newton, is that it is something that has been scientifically approved which you twist to fit your statement that is not. It has not been proved that there are good or bad energies. Basically, you try to make something not proven sound proven by using something proven to falsely prove your unproven point. That means you know your claim is wrong. And that is, undisputedly, manipulation.

The second possibility is that you heard it from somewhere and accepted it without thinking any further, or you heard it applied to physics and thought you could use it for your beliefs because it fulfilled your theory. Either way, this is a perfect example of what the problem we are talking about actually is. You use something and claim it to be true without having tested it nor thought about it’s reliability.

The problem that results of such behavior is that intellectually challenged people will hear you, like they heard about Newtons third law, and will think it is absolute because it sounds smart. If you want to follow your emotions and live a happy but ignorant life, then fine. But if you want to know the truth, this is something you shouldn’t do. I think rationality is more important than agreeableness. That is what brings us further in the long term.