• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Free will and Destiny? Do we have total free will?

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
"Free will & Destiny? How much control do you have over your life? Do we have total free will? Possibly in what areas, may we not have total will of freedom as well choices? What is Determinism and how does Behaviorism come into play? To what extent do you shape your destiny, and how much is down to fate? What is the role of Nature & Nurture and the subconscious in regards to freedom of will? What role does our childhood have in free will?"

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Never understood this concept of "Changing fate/destiny." It's just the solution of a greater sum. That sum will be whatever it is. Whether or not it is the PREDICTED outcome makes no difference.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
“I believe our mind has a mind of its own. It has been supported by science that before we make a conscious choice it has already been determined on the unconscious level. So much for free will. We are a product of the nature and nurture paradigm. I’m a hard behaviorist and believe people do things and have little control over their subconscious programming. If we did it, it’s almost like it was meant to be. A person still must be held accountable for his or her choices whether they are conscious or unconsciously derived.

Every person has blind spots, rationalizations, denial and defense mechanisms of some sort. Each has power and no one can conquer all of their thought patterns because the unconscious depths hold sway in the fore mentioned dimensions of the human character that we are not privy to but must work to uncover.”

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why the quotes? Whom are you quoting?

Various answers exist, the most common ones being causal determinism which dictates that there is very little room for free will or compatibilism which indicates that, though will/motivation is determined, the individual agent is free to decide whether he/she acts upon it. This seems to leave some room for freedom. A third answer dismisses one or both concepts as nonsensical or declares that the question does not (cannot) refer to any particular state of affairs.

Some claim the answer makes no difference at all and/or it is a practical necessity to believe in free will regardless of its status in theory. I've just listened to an academic discussing the practical benefits of the illusion of free will in, surprisingly, Spinoza's Tractatus and Ethics.

I tend to agree with the latter view. It's utterly unimportant whether you're made to go to work tomorrow or decide to do so.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
"Free will & Destiny? How much control do you have over your life? Do we have total free will? Possibly in what areas, may we not have total will of freedom as well choices? What is Determinism and how does Behaviorism come into play? To what extent do you shape your destiny, and how much is down to fate? What is the role of Nature & Nurture and the subconscious in regards to freedom of will? What role does our childhood have in free will?

Free Will: Do we have it and to what extent?
1.There is no free will. Our fate is already determined. God(s) or circumstances already decreed the future.
2.We have free will, but God knew beforehand what we'd do.
3.We have some free will, inasmuch as we can take certain voluntary actions. However there are involuntary actions that are beyond our control.
4.We have total free will.
5.Our free will may at times be an illusion, but we should act as if it is within our control.
6.Free will exists only when we have control over materialism, bodily sensations and worldly matters.
7. Doesn't matter/Dislike all answer choices.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Why the quotes? Whom are you quoting?

Various answers exist, the most common ones being causal determinism which dictates that there is very little room for free will or compatibilism which indicates that, though will/motivation is determined, the individual agent is free to decide whether he/she acts upon it. This seems to leave some room for freedom. A third answer dismisses one or both concepts as nonsensical or declares that the question does not (cannot) refer to any particular state of affairs.

Some claim the answer makes no difference at all and/or it is a practical necessity to believe in free will regardless of its status in theory. I've just listened to an academic discussing the practical benefits of the illusion of free will in, surprisingly, Spinoza's Tractatus and Ethics.

I tend to agree with the latter view. It's utterly unimportant whether you're made to go to work tomorrow or decide to do so.

I'm not quoting. The question format originates with me. If I use a quote I give its source.