• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Quotation you try to live your by

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
What is your favorite quote? How do you live your life in accordance with the quote you identify with?

"The wisdom of the wise, and the experience of ages, may be preserved by quotation." Benjamin Disraeli (1804 - 1881)

"The wisdom of the wise and the experience of the ages is preserved into perpetuity by a nation's proverbs, fables, folk sayings and quotations." William Feather (1908 - 1976)

"All truly wise thoughts have been thoughts already thousands of times; but to make them truly ours, we must think them over again honestly, till they take root in our personal experience." Johann Wolfgang van Goethe

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I as a humanist as part of my personality do resonate with this quote. I am concerned of the plight of my fellow man. I am interested in justice and fairness. I concentrate on focusing upon humanitarian ideals in the areas of children, education, health care and closing the exorbitant gap between the super rich and the destitute. It is this quality of life which makes life worth living, establishing one's gifts and giving back to our world.

The quote which I personify is, "Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong have governed my life : the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind." Earl Russell

StrawberryBoots

My mom emailed me a Mother Teresa quote that goes here:

People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.
If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies. Succeed anyway.
What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight. Create anyway.
If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous. Be happy anyway.
Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough.
Give your best anyway.

Tengri

Two authors specifically come to mind, partly because of the vive and prophetic quality of their writing. Both are immensely quotable, but these two quotations resonated with me when I was younger and consistently hang in my memory.

Ursula K le Guin from Disposessed:
“It is our suffering that brings us together. It is not love. Love does not obey the mind, and turns to hate when forced. The bond that binds us is beyond choice. We are brothers. We are brothers in what we share. In pain, which each of us must suffer alone, in hunger, in poverty, in hope, we know our brotherhood. We know it, because we have had to learn it. We know that there is no help for us but from one another, that no hand will save us if we do not reach out our hand. And the hand that you reach out is empty, as mine is. You have nothing. You possess nothing. You own nothing. You are free. All you have is what you are, and what you give.”

Gene Wolfe from the Sword and the Lictor:
“You must know the story of how the race of ancient days reached the stars, and how they bargained away all the wild half of themselves to do so, so that they no longer cared for the taste of the pale wind, no for love or lust, nor to make new songs nor to sing old ones, nor for any of the other animal things they believed they had brought with them out of the rain forests at the bottom of time--though in fact, so my uncle told me, those things brought them”

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
"In the end, only kindness matters."

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Live, and let live.

Forgive, and forget.

Forgive, for you may never be forgiven.

There will always be someone better than you, so never stop improving.

Admittance to being good enough, is admittance of surrendering further improvement.

God hates me.

Tina&Jane

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
"It all begins and ends in your mind. What you give power to, has power over you, if you allow it."

Nomendei

Elegance of chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
“Everyone lies, everyone hides things”

"The harder you try to see the good in people the easier it is to fake you out."

"Have you ever thought about why you're so good and your parents are so bad? If you'd so kindly let me give away the answer; it's because even if you're cheating on someone or you're being cheated on, everyone laughs at bad jokes and eats over-sweet boiled vegetables."

"You think you're special? You're not. Everyone lies, everyone hides things... Nobody makes it through this life being completely honest."

"The only way to truly escape the mundane is for you to constantly be evolving. Whether you choose to aim high, or aim low. Enjoy each day for what it is."

"The best secrets are the most twisted."

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hm depends on how I choose to interpret the quote I guess. I'm not sure I get what you mean, could you write more?
Everyone has the chance to disappoint you by becoming your enemy, it’s an unrealistic goal because ultimately it is out of your control

xXxXx_wEltschmErz_xXxXx

the manga was better
Everyone has the chance to disappoint you by becoming your enemy, it’s an unrealistic goal because ultimately it is out of your control

It might be unrealistic, but isn't the mindset what matters? Like similarly, even if a world without conflict is impossible, it's still worth working towards.

The quote is a pacifist thing. Don't antagonize others and go after them for revenge or out of ill will, don't let negative emotions make you hurt others.
So like, if you feel you need to go against someone for some silly reason you can just not do it and hopefully things get better.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It might be unrealistic, but isn't the mindset what matters? Like similarly, even if a world without conflict is impossible, it's still worth working towards.

The quote is a pacifist thing. Don't antagonize others and go after them for revenge or out of ill will, don't let negative emotions make you hurt others.
So like, if you feel you need to go against someone for some silly reason you can just not do it and hopefully things get better.

I mean it’s your own beliefs, if that’s what feels it gives your life meaning, I won’t be here to take that away. I prefer to pick my own battles that are worth fighting for and forget the rest

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do you have a quote for that? :D

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.
Bernard M. Baruch

Hellena Handbasket

Daywalker
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"In a world where you can be anything. Be kind."

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

"Be the person Mr Rogers wanted you to be"(usually said to my intj best friend)

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

If you want kindness, show kindness. If you want love, show love. If you want respect, show respect.

LittleCat

Off to new adventures
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
“For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.” -Audrey Hepburn. (Kinda self explanatory)

“One of the most beautiful qualities of true friendship is to understand and to be understood.” -Lucius Annaeus Seneca (I love when people take the time to understand me and I want to give those I interact with that happiness that comes from feeling understood as well).

"Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it.” -William Arthur Ward (Motivates myself and others to continue doing good things - I do my best to say “thank you” when I have the chance.)