• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Thoughts about Scientology?

Deprecator

Somebody asked earlier, but i don't recall you answering.
Probably because no one ever asked. While someone absolutely professed an interest in learning, this interest never escalated to the point where they were willing to ask me directly. Do you think it's because that they found me intimidating or is it because they shared your publicly stated view that nothing I say should be believed?

@Deprecator, how much have you spent on scientology?
If you literally proclaim that nothing I say should be believed, and for no better reason than because I speak positively about a religious movement that you harbor extreme prejudice against, then what's the point in even answering your question? Shouldn't I worry that if I offered an answer that wasn't to your liking then you'd just cite it as evidence that supports your initial attack against me?

And I'm not trying to 'dodge' your question so much as I'm suggesting that there's no point in answering if you've already made it crystal clear that you're not remotely interested in having a two-way discussion about the topic.

Beorn

Permabanned
Probably because no one ever asked. While someone absolutely professed an interest in learning, this interest never escalated to the point where they were willing to ask me directly. Do you think it's because that they found me intimidating or is it because they shared your publicly stated view that nothing I say should be believed?

If you literally proclaim that nothing I say should be believed, and for no better reason than because I speak positively about a religious movement that you harbor extreme prejudice against, then what's the point in even answering your question? Shouldn't I worry that if I offered an answer that wasn't to your liking then you'd just cite it as evidence that supports your initial attack against me?

And I'm not trying to 'dodge' your question so much as I'm suggesting that there's no point in answering if you've already made it crystal clear that you're not remotely interested in having a two-way discussion about the topic.

A dodge is a dodge.

I answer questions about my religion truthfully regardless of the intent of others.

Why can't you?

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Perhaps, a reasonable start... Hubbard in his own words, what does one see?

What did his son perceive?

Deprecator

A dodge is a dodge.
A dodge is a dodge, and a person not interested in civil discussion is a person not interested in civil discussion. Furthermore, it doesn't seem that you're asking me about my religion so much as you're asking about my personal financial affairs. Does the amount of money a Muslim might give to a Mosque tell you a lot about Islam? Does the amount of money my Grandfather paid in tithing tell you a lot about Mormonism?

I answer questions about my religion truthfully
Right. You want to tell me all about how open minded you are, how you answer questions about your religion truthfully, and all while quoting me for "blah blah blah" after publicly declaring that nobody should believe anything I say.

You obviously have a great desire to talk about yourself and engage in virtue signalling, so with all due respect, have you thought about posting all this stuff you want to say about yourself in a blog as opposed to my thread about Scientology? In your blog you can be as smart, open minded and as truthful about your religion as you want to be.

Beorn

Permabanned
A dodge is a dodge, and a person not interested in civil discussion is a person not interested in civil discussion. Furthermore, it doesn't seem that you're asking me about my religion so much as you're asking about my personal financial affairs. Does the amount of money a Muslim might give to a Mosque tell you a lot about Islam? Does the amount of money my Grandfather paid in tithing tell you a lot about Mormonism?

It's pertinent and not just a personal financial question because of the reputation of the church of scientology as a scam.

I've only given about $40 bucks in tithes this year myself to my church. It hasn't been a good year for me financially. However, my lack of contribution hasn't impacted my place in my church, how I'm treated, or my potential for leadership in my church. Anyone is welcome to my denomination's national conference and all voting and passage of rules, statements, and other sorts of decisions are completely transparent. Can you say the same thing about the church of scientology?

Right. You want to tell me all about how open minded you are, how you answer questions about your religion truthfully, and all while quoting me for "blah blah blah" after publicly declaring that nobody should believe anything I say.

You obviously have a great desire to talk about yourself and engage in virtue signalling, so with all due respect, have you thought about posting all this stuff you want to say about yourself in a blog as opposed to my thread about Scientology? In your blog you can be as smart, open minded and as truthful about your religion as you want to be.

I don't think you understand. My statements aren't based on thin air and assertions in this thread. I have 10 years and 5000 posts backing them up. I don't need to post anything new about myself. Any other member is free to call me out if I 'm lying or misrepresenting myself. But frankly I don't think there's anything special about myself in this regard. Most people here are the same and willing to be opened minded to engage different ideas and beliefs outside straightforward scams. So I'm not lifting myself up as anything special. I'm merely stating that there is no basic civil and open minded reason to engage and hear out your beliefs.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Greetings, friend.

:bye:

I have absolutely seen the documentary, and if I recall correctly there were many testimonies from former members who had negative experiences. While it's difficult to directly contest their authenticity, at the same time I can safely say that these 'negative experiences' reported by disgruntled members aren't remotely consistent with my own experiences, and I also must say that these types of scandals and abuses of power are not remotely exclusive to Scientology. For an example, last I checked the military is notorious for an endless series of abuses of power and scandals alike, resulting in all sorts of heinous atrocities such as rape, torture and death (i.e. drill sergeants literally forcing cadets into dryers). These negative experiences don't take away from the fact that, although the military would certainly not be for everyone, many people can still benefit enormously from their experiences in the military, and that the military in general (for all its faults that have been documented) is still absolutely essential for the welfare of the nation.

Some thoughts:

1) The United States military and the Church of Scientology are two very different organizations, with very different purposes
2) The abuses that happen in the military aren't tolerated when they're made public and their are efforts to reduce/eliminate the abuse within it (or at least their were during the Obama years, I can't speak for the Trump years as 'softening' the military is often seen as part of the culture-war issue among the right)
3) While I understand your defensiveness about the abuses going on in your religion, that's not actually what I was interested in, and I apologize because it was my fault for not clarifying that.

What I was actually interested in were some of the more wild claims by higher ups, like abilities that the higher level OTs can do, the Xenu story, Sea Org and the million(s) year contract that goes with it, the conditions that Sea Org members live in, "disconnection" and how it works. Things like that.

And to answer your other question, I'd say that the most common misconception of Scientology is that, on a fundamental level, it's somehow different from other religions/ philosophies, many of which are also making a significant amount of money. In other words, if reading the Bible truly resonates with an individual, they become a Christian. If reading the Quran truly resonates with an individual, they become a Muslim. If reading the books and teachings of L. Ron Hubbard truly resonates with an individual, suddenly critics often try to undermine and discredit them by openly declaring that they're a brainwashed cult members who shouldn't be believed.

I can't actually disagree with you on this, though your example is incredibly reductive. There is a lot more to being a Christian or a Muslim than their holy books and their a lot more to the criticisms of Scientology beyond the written works of it's creator, however well deserved they may or may not be.

Another misconception regarding Scientologists is that there is 'intolerance' or 'hostility' towards non-Scientologists, when in fact non-Scientologists often seem far more 'hostile' and intolerant to Scientologists than visa versa. For an example, when Isaac Hayes turned to Scientology, you'd think that those around him might have been happy for him that he was able to find meaning and joy through the works of L. Ron Hubbard. Instead he was viciously attacked, and to such an extent that the theology of his faith was publicly mocked by his employers. Hayes had no problem with his employers for their beliefs, though for whatever reason his employers had a significant problem with his beliefs, even though by his own admission, he found the movement to be immensely beneficial to him.

I've never met a true believing Scientologist so I can't confirm or deny their temperaments but I have no reason to disbelieve you.

Also, as an aside: Isaac Hayes worked for the creators of South Park, so his faith being mocked by them in public isn't shocking to anyone familiar with Matt Stone or Trey Parker. Not that that's right, mind you, just entirely unsurprising.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It's difficult to not assume your intent is to defend and sell Scientology when you ignore neutral/positive comments about the religion, give weak arguments to counter negative ones, and refuse to answer essential questions as the only Scientologist here. If you're here to discuss the religion, you're doing a bad job and if you're here to sell the religion, you're doing even worse.

Deprecator

It's difficult to not assume your intent
It's curious as to why you're so fixated with my intent, and it's further curious as to how this fixation seems directly connected with your desire to criticize. For an example, you literally feel the need to assert that I provide 'weak arguments' to negative opinions about Scientology, when last I checked your initial criticism (which I would also assert is incredibly weak) was more or less that "all of religion is a scam because it involves money being paid for something that can be obtained for free, so it's like selling air".

And while we're at it, by the extension of your logic cited to criticize Scientology, we might as well say that some hobbies are a scam too because after all, if we assume that hobbies are engaged for entertainment purposes then there always could have been alternatives in which they could have obtained that entertainment for free.

But of course, I feel that's the fundamental limitation of your repeated desire to 'assume'. First assuming the 'intent' of why people turn to Scientology in the first place, and then later assuming my intent for creating the thread in the first place, as if it was a big, elaborate secret that warrented open speculation.

I almost started looking deeply into Scientology a while back by taking the personality quiz but there was no way to take it for free, which is a key starting point to my understanding. Just to make sure that I wasn't being unfair, I just looked into it and I found this Business Insider article about the costs long term. I even double checked their claims like how expensive the books are and according to Scientology.org, it's an expensive religion. You don't get kicked out (never claimed you do), but you don't go far at all within it if you aren't taking the classes. The best I could find pushing against the fact that it's expensive is from a pro Scientology blog that the government views Scientology as a nonprofit therefore it can't be money grubby, but that's laughably weak.
First and foremost, what made you initially interested in Scientology? Did you try reading books written by LRH or was it for another reason entirely? Secondly, do realize that the criticism about Scientology in the article you linked literally stems from an individual who "claims she spent "millions" during her 35 years with the church." 35 years. And just curious. During year 5, 10, 15, 20, or 25, would she have instead claimed that Scientology was the best thing that ever happened to her? After the 35 year mark, are her subsequent criticisms of Scientology legitimate or just like with so many other unions, is this just an emotional response driven by a horrible divorce went wrong? It may be cliche, but the article sort of reminds me of a spouse who is so incensed that their spouse cheated on her (i.e. a negative experience) that she makes up accusations of rape (gross fabrications/ mischaracterizations).

To this end, I must point out another portion of the article as well which states: "It contends that the statements Remini and the other contributors to the show have made about Scientology are false", and, based on my personal involvement with Scientology, I would absolutely be forced to concur with this conclusion. Again, I didn't mention 'fake news' within my original post for nothing. Where I live there are a number of gatherings and events that are open to the general public; no 'personality test' or other such feature required. You can keep attending without the purchase of expensive materials if you'd like, just you can keep attending Christian church services without spending any money as well.

I was so inspired by books by LRH that I wantedt to interact with individuals who felt the same, and doing so didn't cost me a dime. And because people seem so fixated with my personal financial affairs, any money I've spent since then is less than what some people pay in tithing (at 10% of income that too can run into the millions) and also less than what some people have paid in therapy (which I suppose would just be another 'scam' despite so many people claiming it was beneficial). And just like with therapy, the military or any other club/ organization, Scientology isn't for everyone and it's also never been my intent to 'sell it.'

It is curious though. So many members of the general public are so sold by the negative experiences of former members and the gross mischaracterizations portrayed by the fake news media, that so many members feel like martyrs, actively afraid to tell friends, family and others about their beliefs and involvement simply because of the tremendous backlash they receive from people who've never had any personal experiences with the CoS.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It's curious as to why you're so fixated with my intent, and it's further curious as to how this fixation seems directly connected with your desire to criticize. For an example, you literally feel the need to assert that I provide 'weak arguments' to negative opinions about Scientology, when last I checked your initial criticism (which I would also assert is incredibly weak) was more or less that "all of religion is a scam because it involves money being paid for something that can be obtained for free, so it's like selling air".

And while we're at it, by the extension of your logic cited to criticize Scientology, we might as well say that some hobbies are a scam too because after all, if we assume that hobbies are engaged for entertainment purposes then there always could have been alternatives in which they could have obtained that entertainment for free.

But of course, I feel that's the fundamental limitation of your repeated desire to 'assume'. First assuming the 'intent' of why people turn to Scientology in the first place, and then later assuming my intent for creating the thread in the first place, as if it was a big, elaborate secret that warrented open speculation.

First and foremost, what made you initially interested in Scientology? Did you try reading books written by LRH or was it for another reason entirely? Secondly, do realize that the criticism about Scientology in the article you linked literally stems from an individual who "claims she spent "millions" during her 35 years with the church." 35 years. And just curious. During year 5, 10, 15, 20, or 25, would she have instead claimed that Scientology was the best thing that ever happened to her? After the 35 year mark, are her subsequent criticisms of Scientology legitimate or just like with so many other unions, is this just an emotional response driven by a horrible divorce went wrong? It may be cliche, but the article sort of reminds me of a spouse who is so incensed that their spouse cheated on her (i.e. a negative experience) that she makes up accusations of rape (gross fabrications/ mischaracterizations).

To this end, I must point out another portion of the article as well which states: "It contends that the statements Remini and the other contributors to the show have made about Scientology are false", and, based on my personal involvement with Scientology, I would absolutely be forced to concur with this conclusion. Again, I didn't mention 'fake news' within my original post for nothing. Where I live there are a number of gatherings and events that are open to the general public; no 'personality test' or other such feature required. You can keep attending without the purchase of expensive materials if you'd like, just you can keep attending Christian church services without spending any money as well.

I was so inspired by books by LRH that I wantedt to interact with individuals who felt the same, and doing so didn't cost me a dime. And because people seem so fixated with my personal financial affairs, any money I've spent since then is less than what some people pay in tithing (at 10% of income that too can run into the millions) and also less than what some people have paid in therapy (which I suppose would just be another 'scam' despite so many people claiming it was beneficial). And just like with therapy, the military or any other club/ organization, Scientology isn't for everyone and it's also never been my intent to 'sell it.'

It is curious though. So many members of the general public are so sold by the negative experiences of former members and the gross mischaracterizations portrayed by the fake news media, that so many members feel like martyrs, actively afraid to tell friends, family and others about their beliefs and involvement simply because of the tremendous backlash they receive from people who've never had any personal experiences with the CoS.

Because intent in this discussion matters. There's a difference between trying to convert and trying to hold a discussion. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you weren't selling and just really passionate, but if your intent is to sell, then I'm uninterested to continue this discussion.

Deprecator

It's pertinent and not just a personal financial question because of the reputation of the church of scientology as a scam.
If your direct inquery into my personal financial affairs was solely based on the CoS's reputation as a 'scam', then what difference would it make how much money I've spent on it? If you spend $40 in tithes and don't get what you pay for, you were scammed. If I spend $10^3 a year on Scientology and receive exactly what I pay for, then by definition it's not a scam. Again, I fear people are floating around the word 'scam' rather liberally, especially when people are using the term in such a way that it could be applied virtually any religious group or organization that accepts money.

Anyone is welcome to my denomination's national conference. Can you say the same thing about the church of scientology?
There are absolutely formally sanctioned events hosted by the CoS that anyone can attend. Don't believe me? Call your nearest CoS and tell them that you're interested in learning more. If it's anything like my experience then I'd bet my socks that you'd get through the doors without paying a dime.

I don't think you understand.
Ditto.

I've always felt that the best way to showcase a characteristic -- be it open mindedness, humility, intelligence or any other redeeming feature -- was through actions as opposed to personal claims. Why? Because actions speak louder than words. If a person self-identifies as 'intelligent', then they should be able to convey this characteristic without ever feeling the need to point blank inform others just how 'intelligent' they think they are. Similarly, if you really were so 'open minded', you should be able to communicate that level of open mindedness without ever feeling the need to tell others all about it in their thread about Scientology.

Clearly you disagree, and I respect that. Which is also why I say that your personal boasts of 'open mindedness' would be better suited in a blog as opposed to my thread about Scientology. Because if you feel the need to point blank tell me (a person who doesn't care either way) that you're open minded as opposed to showcasing your open mindedness, then in my eyes you're merely exhibiting a textbook case of insecurity.

Which reminds me of a core difference between us. Even if I disagree with the views of another person, I try and do so respectfully and without ever feeling the need to malign the integrity of their personal character. Are you able to say the same or are you really not as 'open minded' as you'd like to claim?

Deprecator

Because intent in this discussion matters. There's a difference between trying to convert and trying to hold a discussion. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you weren't selling and just really passionate, but if your intent is to sell, then I'm uninterested to continue this discussion.
Intent matters, and you'd rather assume and speculate upon my own intent as opposed to asking me directly. Can't I be interested in discussing a topic without trying to 'sell it'? I also made a thread about why Real Madrid was the best football team in history; whether or not people agree with me I still enjoy discussing the topic and it doesn't bother me one or another whether people choose to agree with my initial assertion. But if my 'intentions' are being subjected to scrutiny then I'll remind you...
And just like with therapy, the military or any other club/ organization, Scientology isn't for everyone and it's also never been my intent to 'sell it.'

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's a scam.
A cult.
A destroyer of lives.

You would be better off leaving it and nobody that reads this thread should believe anything you say about it being a positive experience because you're being lied to.

This.

Their abuses are well documented. And even if it wasn't so damaging, I think I would prefer to make up my own religion than to take somebody else's made up religion.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sometimes I wonder if religion is a natural product of humanity.

Beorn

Permabanned
Beorn said:
Anyone is welcome to my denomination's national conference. Can you say the same thing about the church of scientology?

There are absolutely formally sanctioned events hosted by the CoS that anyone can attend. Don't believe me? Call your nearest CoS and tell them that you're interested in learning more. If it's anything like my experience then I'd bet my socks that you'd get through the doors without paying a dime.

You either avoid hard questions about scientology or you engage in blatant deceit.

You couldn't answer my question truthfully so you manipulated my question to lower the standard to a level where the CoS could meet it.

The full quote was:

Anyone is welcome to my denomination's national conference and all voting and passage of rules, statements, and other sorts of decisions are completely transparent. Can you say the same thing about the church of scientology?

You took out the section about transparent voting and decision making because there is nothing transparent about the CoS and certainly nothing transparent about the way it makes decisions and acts as an organization.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Don’t really need to read L. Ron Hubbard’s poorly written novels to know the guy was utterly bonkers with no remarkable talent whatsoever, aside from excelling at taking advantage of psychologically vulnerable people.

Want reading material? Read anything about the Lisa McPherson case. She was starved to death, covered in cockroach bites. Not “fake news.” A real human being. One of many. There are well-documented official police and autopsy reports on cases like this accessible to the public.

Totally a destructive cult. A parasite on humanity. A fraction of people getting what they want out of it doesn’t change any of that. Hell, an abusive husband doesn’t beat his wife literally 24/7. And his coworkers think he’s a standup guy.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not saying Scientology isn't bonkers, but shouldn't all of us on Teegeeack be worried about Xenu?

Seriously, though, I feel like the mythology of Scientology isn't even good science fiction.

wikipedia said:
Hubbard wrote that Xenu was the ruler of a Galactic Confederacy 75 million years ago, which consisted of 26 stars and 76 planets including Earth, which was then known as "Teegeeack".[5][8][22] The planets were overpopulated, containing an average population of 178 billion.[1][4][6] The Galactic Confederacy's civilization was comparable to our own, with aliens "walking around in clothes which looked very remarkably like the clothes they wear this very minute" and using cars, trains and boats looking exactly the same as those "circa 1950, 1960" on Earth.[23]

So, he had, like no imagination? It's not like it was a TV show where budgets were an issue; it was the founding mythology of a religion. He could have come up with anything, and he went with this.

Also, why the volcanoes with the hydrogen bombs? Shouldn't the bombs be sufficient for Xenu's galactic genocide?

The whole mythology is just a bunch of convoluted nonsense that doesn't even make for a compelling story.... the root of all of our problems are caused by alien souls who were the victims of a galactic genocide? Um, ok.

Madboot

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't understand your question, and because I'm interested in your view on the topic I'll seek clarity. By what metric are you using to determine that Scientology struggles to 'overcome' human nature? Last I checked Scientology is the largest and fastest growing modern day religion in the world, is the largest independent disaster relief organization in the world, was founded by the most published author of all time, and is also the most sought after alternative to psychiatry in terms of mental health treatment options. If you or anyone else believes these statements to be "moot" or "irrelevant" as far as understanding human nature is concerned, then pray tell: what information would you instead cite to support the inverse of your implicit claim, that Scientology 'struggles' to overcome human nature?

Just addressing the bolded part.

Islam is the world's fastest growing religion - and not just in Muslim majority nations: 10% of all Europeans are projected to be members of the Muslim faith by 2050, according to a recent Pew Research Center study.

34 of the largest Disaster Relief Organizations

•Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders (MSF)
An organization that is dedicated to helping people worldwide where the need is greatest, delivering emergency medical aid to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care.
•Mennonite Central Committee
MCC is a global, non-profit organization that strives to share God’s love and compassion for all through relief, development and peace. When responding to disasters, they work with local groups to distribute resources in ways that minimize conflict.
•Direct Relief International
Direct Relief is a humanitarian aid organization. It’s active in all 50 states and 70 countries and has a mission to improve the health and lives of people affected by poverty or emergencies.
•International Red Cross
From small house fires to multi-state natural disasters, the American Red Cross goes wherever they’re needed, so people can have clean water, safe shelter and hot meals when they need them most.
•Brethren Disaster Ministries
One of BDM's primary fields of work is engaging in a network of volunteers to repair or rebuild damaged homes for disaster survivors who cannot recover on their own.
•The Ananda Marga Universal Relief Team
AMURT’s mission is to help improve the quality of life for the poor and disadvantaged in the world besides those affected by calamities and conflicts.
•The Nazarene Disaster Response
Their vision is that Nazarenes would be empowered to respond in practical and tangible ways to their community in case of any instance of a disaster.
•REACT International
They will provide public safety communications to individuals, organizations, and government agencies to save lives, prevent injuries, and give assistance wherever and whenever needed.
•All Hands
All Hands is the world’s leading disaster relief organization powered by volunteers. Over the last ten years, they have enabled over 35,000 volunteers to donate 175,000 days impacting 500,000 people all over the globe.
•CityTeam International Disaster Response
Cityteam is a Christian nonprofit organization that’s compassionately serving the poor, the homeless, and the lost in San Jose, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Oakland, Portland, and other parts of the world.
•OXFAM
Oxfam is an international confederation of 18 NGOs working with partners in over 90 countries. They help those who need it most after natural disasters strike their homes.
•Billy Graham Rapid Response Team
The Billy Graham Rapid Response Team (RRT) trains God’s people for grief ministry. It also deploys crisis-trained chaplains to provide emotional and spiritual care to those affected by man-made or natural disasters.
•ADRA
ADRA Canada, part of a world-wide ADRA network, has been working to end extreme poverty in some of the poorest communities of our world for three decades.
•Hope Worldwide
HOPE worldwide is an international charity that changes lives by harnessing the compassion and commitment of dedicated staff and volunteers to deliver sustainable, high-impact, community-based services to the poor and needy.
•NECHAMA
NECHAMA is a voluntary organization that provides natural disaster preparedness, response, and recovery services nationwide. Through the years, they have brought comfort to disaster survivors by training and mobilizing thousands of volunteers to help communities in the aftermath of floods, tornadoes, and other natural disasters.
•United Methodist Committee on Relief
The United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) is a non-profit organization dedicated to alleviating human suffering around the globe. UMCOR work includes programs and projects in disaster response, health, sustainable agriculture, food security, relief supplies, and much more.
•Plan India
Plan India, a member of Plan International Federation, is a nationally registered independent child development organization committed to creating a lasting impact in the lives of vulnerable and excluded children, their families, and communities.
•Save The Children
2015 presented the world with unprecedented challenges. Thanks to their incredible generosity, Save the Children responded to 99 humanitarian crises in 59 countries, directly reaching 13.8 million people, including 7.1 million children.
•CARE
CARE International is a global confederation of 14 member organizations working together to end poverty caused by conflict and natural disaster.
•AmeriCares
AmeriCares saves lives and improves health for people affected by poverty or disaster so that they can reach their full potential.
•GlobalGiving
GlobalGiving is the first and largest global crowdfunding community for nonprofits. Since 2002, GlobalGiving has raised $230,218,366 from 536,778 donors who have supported 14,942 projects.
•International Relief Teams
International Relief Teams (IRT) is a top-rated non-profit humanitarian organization dedicated to alleviating human suffering worldwide and in the United States. IRT specializes in two complementary sets of activities: disaster response and building healthy communities.
•Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
They work with partner organizations worldwide to tackle critical problems in four program areas. Their Global Development Division for instance works to help the world’s poorest people lift themselves out of hunger and poverty which is often caused by natural disaster.
•ICCO
ICCO is the interchurch organization for development cooperation. They work towards a world in which people can live in dignity and well-being; a world free from poverty and injustice.
•Relief International
Relief International is a non-profit organization whose sole mission is to reduce human suffering. They respond to natural disasters, humanitarian emergencies, and chronic poverty. They are non-sectarian and non-political.
•WHO
The World Health Organization (WHO) helps protect those displaced by natural and man-made disasters from the ravages of disease.
•Mission Aviation Fellowship
You'll find MAF in the hardest-to-reach locations, where people live isolated from the rest of the world, cut off from the most basic necessities. Their highly trained pilots maneuver Cessna and KODIAK aircraft through rugged terrain.
•World Vision
They’re continuously building relationships. By planning and working alongside local leaders, they’re finding solutions to change the future for kids and the next generation.
•Amref
They are committed to improving the health of people in Africa by partnering with and empowering communities, and strengthening health systems.
•ShelterBox
By providing emergency shelter and tools for families robbed of their homes by disaster, they’re transforming despair into hope.
•Medical Teams International
They provide medical and dental care, humanitarian aid, and holistic development programs to all people in need, regardless of religion, nationality, sex, or race.
•Humanitarian Coalition
The Humanitarian Coalition strives to maximize Canadian fundraising efforts in support of members’ assistance programs for the survivors of international humanitarian disasters. By working together, the members seek to increase the awareness of needs, reduce the duplication of costs and take the guesswork out of giving for Canadians.
•GlobalMedic
They quickly respons to disasters with a Rescue Unit, Water Purification Unit and Emergency Medical Unit. Helping those who need it most.
•Engineers Without Borders
A non-profit humanitarian organization established to partner with developing communities worldwide in order to improve their quality of life.

As for most prolific author, I'll give you that, but take a look at how many books were sold. Nowhere near the top.