User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Default are optimists naive?

is it naive to believe that things will turn out for the best?

optimistic characters are usually portrayed as naive and sometimes almost magical, or as children... why?
    “The phrase 'Someone ought to do something' was not, by itself, a helpful one. People who used it never added the rider 'and that someone is me'.” - Terry Pratchett
    Likes Gentleman Jack liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

I don't think so I'm sometimes optimist like a lot of people are moving out and people are like it's gonna be college kids and trap houses and I'm like you don't know that. So maybe I'm not necessarily an optimist but i do have hope.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9 so

Maybe. My sort of mindset is to hope for the best but to prepare for the worst. That was disappointment doesnt hit too hard but you also still get to experience hope.

I think going through life always expecting the worst would eventually become sort of soul crushing... so I DO think think optimism is a good thing... if left to be checked by reality
    The only kinds of fights worth fighting are those you’re going to lose, because somebody has to fight them and lose and lose and lose until someday, somebody who believes as you do wins.
    I.F. Stone

Johari

Nohari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Some of us need to envision a happy future to be able to work towards better things. In my mind for us, it's less about naivete and more about focusing energy. One may fall short of the goal, but that still leaves you a few steps ahead. (<--- more optimism)

Quote Originally Posted by miss fortune View Post

optimistic characters are usually portrayed as naive and sometimes almost magical, or as children... why?
    I think this is an interesting topic for a thread.

That portrayal, optimist as naive or optimism as naivety, is one that a recognise, absolutely.

However, consider, on the one hand, that this is the case, but also that, on the other, everyone is expected to be an optimist, or that optimism is commended and recommended to everyone.

If there is any pervasive ideology at all at present it is positive thinking, from the simpler sorts of CBT, NLP or mindfulness ideas on the one end of the scale to the cosmic ordering, the secret, the law of attraction, Norman Vincent ideas on the other. A lot of it, both ends of the spectrum, I think involve a kind of "magical thinking" some more and some less and I'm not sure why a lot of the modern day zeitgeist types spend so, so much time involved the in the God Wars debates when all this sort of superstition either persists or is making a comeback.

Questions about whether or not God exists seem positively safe and sound in contrast to a lot of it.
    Likes Gentleman Jack, Mr Kovacs liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by miss fortune View Post

If their optimism is unbridled, then yes - I would consider them naive. This is different from being confident that one can weather whatever happens and come out all right in the end.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INFP

In some situations it might be for the best to accept that things probably won't work out. But you miss out on a lot of positive outcomes if you walk around with a pessimistic view on the future. Even if optimism can be naive it surely helps more than it hurts, I think. Looking generally I wouldn't call optimists naive. It depends on how optimistic you are or if you have unrealistic expectations, then that can hurt when things don't turn out as imagined.
    until later

Mastermind Fieldmarshal Sacrophagus's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNTJ
    Enneagram

Maybe, but I'd rather have an optimist around who thinks every positive outcome is possible than a pessimistic fuck always ranting about an imaginary doomsday like state of the world, thinking everyone has some hidden agenda against them, with a shit ton of shitty conspiracy theories, spreading negativity like wildfire, and sucking the life out of everything and everyone.
    الخَيلُ وَاللَيلُ وَالبَيداءُ تَعرِفُني *** وَالسَيفُ وَالرُمحُ وَالقِرطاسُ وَالقَلَمُ
    Swift steeds, dreary nights, and the desolate wasteland, all know me full well
    As do the sword, the spear, the paper and the pen.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Some of us need to envision a happy future to be able to work towards better things. In my mind for us, it's less about naivete and more about focusing energy. One may fall short of the goal, but that still leaves you a few steps ahead. (<--- more optimism)
    There's a school of thought that the most pivotal thing in the history of humankind was the "invention" of "the future", beginning with Judaism's messianism, continuing with Christianity's awaited return of Christ, continuing in a number of secular formats, usually a hoped for revolution of one sort of another or a generic idea of linear "progress" and "progressive" thinking.

Given that it seems to be such a thing with such a scope I always wonder at the counter tendency and its popularity, all the Eckhart Tolle power of now and no future, no past kind of thing.

Though I do see that being inflicted upon or popular in only some sorts of cultures, communities and nationalities though.
    Likes Gentleman Jack, Lord Lavender liked this post