• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Would you cut off your own leg if it was the only way to save another person's life?

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Would you cut off your own leg if it was the only way to save another person's life?

I'd say yes easier if I got an amputation, rather than hacking off my own leg. Knowing me I'd probably sit there sawing it my leg but not have the strength to get it off and cut the wrong artery. Is there a guillotine for my leg? That might do the trick. I'd be more willing to do it for someone I love, but I'd worry I'd start panicking and pass out and then we'd both die. I'd try to bite the bullet though for my loved one. Although if I was the one dying I'd probably just say put me out of my misery rather them seeing the person cutting off their leg in pain and seeing sawed off bone and muscle.

Would you torture someone if you thought it would result in information that would prevent a bomb from exploding and killing hundreds of people?

This is one I'd like to imagine myself doing, but probably wouldn't realistically. I'd have to have really solid evidence that the person had that information. I'd feel really bad torturing the guy and then having nothing come out of it. I'd also feel bad if they were just some lackey and not one of the people who was actually planning to bomb the city. Though it was once said, "It's merely enhanced interrogation, my dear.". Wish I could just hire an interrogator...I'd feel bad torturing anyone.

Would you politically oppress a people for a limited time if it increased the overall well-being of the citizenry?

Probably. Is this like totalitarian level? How long is this limited time? I mean, if the overall well-being is improved, then the things they'd fight for if they had that political freedom would come into fruition I think?

You are a physician with five dying patients and one healthy person in the waiting room. Would you harvest the organs of the one to save the five?

Probably not. I'd feel like a murderer just pinning a person down and ripping out their organs even if it'd save people. Now if they want to be a donor, that's awesome. But still, it feels weird going up to a random person who probably just came in to check on his grandma asking them to suddenly donate all their organs. Also, who are the 5 patients? If it was a bunch of old people, I'd say let nature take it's course.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Maybe for a very select few people, and only if it can be done properly and painlessly. Did you know medical shock can cause death?
Also, I'm rather attached to my leg. Quite literally.

Would you torture someone if you thought it would result in information that would prevent a bomb from exploding and killing hundreds of people?
This is probably an extreme last resort. But- one of those hundreds of people may be people I know or care about, so that much personal beef is already reason enough for me.

Would you politically oppress a people for a limited time if it increased the overall well-being of the citizenry?
No. The potential, especially long-term negative costs are too much, and this kind of thinking is why slavery was once a thing. If I had that much power and influence I'd probably rally support and open up charities.

You are a physician with five dying patients and one healthy person in the waiting room. Would you harvest the organs of the one to save the five?
A lot of people already die from a lack of organ donors already, we aren't murdering randos to full that supply.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

If I could, I would. I have a pretty low tolerance for pain, so if I had to do it myself I'd probably struggle a lot and would likely not get it cut off in a timely manner, even with the threat of someone else's death. I don't really think too highly of myself, so I would probably do it for most people, unless they were specifically people whom I was aware of being highly abusive, a person who murdered another for an unreasonable reason, etc. I feel guilt stronger than any emotion, so I would't be able to get away with not doing this.

I'd certainly try other methods first, but probably? It also depends on who this person is (ie. were they the one involved in setting the bomb or is it some strange ransom that involves me beating up an innocent civilian? How certain is it that this person actually knows what I need?).

Again, it depends on the context (although the phrasing of this sounds really shifty). I think it would be more effective to look into why citizen well being needs to be improved and what flaws exist in the society at hand that can be adjusted. Making education more accessible, providing financial and medical compensation for those in need, making sure everyone has access to basic to basic necessities etc all can increase the well being of citizens (assuming I had the ability to do this, but typically if you have the ability to oppress people you also have some ability to do the other things I've mentioned).

Not unless they desired to be in that position. While it is good to ease others suffering and general work towards the benefit of not only the self, it is no one's inherent responsibility to give their own life to save the life of others (not to mention it'd be very unlikely that this one person is compatible for such an organ transfer with all 5 people lel).

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Never. I prefer to maintain my wholeness over saving someone else. No matter who it is.

Hundreds of people? I wouldn't care if it had been billions if they aren't at least innocent according to my definition of the word "innocent". If they are innocent, despite the odds of that being disappearingly tiny, sure, I'd torture the crap out of the person as long as he or she is guilty in my definition of guilt.

Yes, naturally. I'd beat my own future children with a rod just to keep them out of hell, and to teach them that with evil actions comes no real reward, only punishment and suffering. Tough love I believe it is called these days.

First of all, I'd never become a physician. I find the very thought of intervening in someone else's fate appalling and disgusting. Death is a natural part of life.

Lark

I've been thinking about this thread on and off and at the moment I would have to say no.

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Would you cut off your own leg if it was the only way to save another person's life? It ultimately depends on who the person is. If it's a stranger, or someone I don't really care about in general, then no. If it's someone I love, I'd probably do it but I can't deny it would still be hard for me to do it

Would you torture someone if you thought it would result in information that would prevent a bomb from exploding and killing hundreds of people? In theory I would answer that yes, of course, I would do it; but in practice I don't know if I would have the guts to actually torture someone

Would you politically oppress a people for a limited time if it increased the overall well-being of the citizenry? ... I don't really understand the context of this question; but anyway, the way I interpret it, the answer would be no. On one hand because oppression disgusts me in general, on the other because I think it brings nothing good in the long term. What if the people I oppressed were to start a riot, or seek revenge later on?

You are a physician with five dying patients and one healthy person in the waiting room. Would you harvest the organs of the one to save the five? No, simply because, not being a physician, I can't even imagine myself doing a similar choice. I don't want to decide whether other people have to live or die

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I don't think I would. I'd definitely consider it if it were for a loved one, but I wouldn't do it in the end. I'd likely say yes though if I got an amputation. For a random stranger or acquaintance? Hell no, I'm not even going to consider it.

Also, I have no place cutting off any legs, I am not a medical professional. Cutting off my own leg would just be bad for both me and the dying person.

Nah. I'd torture someone if they did something to a loved one (or even me) but not for this reason.

No. It's not my place, and I don't care about the well-being of anyone else except myself and the people close to me, honestly. Fuck the citizenry.

No, that's not my decision to make.

Skimt

No, not even someone dear to me.

Yes, to save someone dear to me.

Yes, because they don't know better.

No, it's the wrong assignment.

You are a physician with five dying patients, one of which is Robin Williams, and one healthy person in the waiting room. Would you harvest the organs of everyone to save Robin Williams?
Yes.

???

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
Would you cut off your own leg if it was the only way to save another person's life? No, sorry other person, but I'm not self-mutilating.

Would you torture someone if you thought it would result in information that would prevent a bomb from exploding and killing hundreds of people? No, it's not my thing. I'd try other alternatives. But if someone else wants to try that, I'd quietly leave the room after trying the alternatives.

Would you politically oppress a people for a limited time if it increased the overall well-being of the citizenry? No, it sets a bad precedent and would eventually lead to a bad outcome.

You are a physician with five dying patients and one healthy person in the waiting room. Would you harvest the organs of the one to save the five? It seems unethical; even to ask the one, if they would be okay with it first. Sometimes people die; and maybe as a society we should be more accustomed to death, rather than seemingly afraid.

Wunjo

Maverick thinker.
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I don't think so.

Yes. I have an absurdly strong stomach and am well aware of my some... tendencies which would prove useful in such a situation.

Likely.

This doesn't fit to the Hippocratic Oath. No.

???

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
Would you cut off your own leg if it was the only way to save another person's life?: IIIiiiii wanna say yes but I have a feeling my intolerance to pain would get the best of me.

I think it's physically impossible to cut your own leg off if you yourself are not in a life-threatening situation. Also, think about all the veins that run through your leg, you'll most likely die if you don't get any medical care soon.

I'd say yes easier if I got an amputation, rather than hacking off my own leg. Knowing me I'd probably sit there sawing it my leg but not have the strength to get it off and cut the wrong artery. Is there a guillotine for my leg? That might do the trick. I'd be more willing to do it for someone I love, but I'd worry I'd start panicking and pass out and then we'd both die. I'd try to bite the bullet though for my loved one. Although if I was the one dying I'd probably just say put me out of my misery rather them seeing the person cutting off their leg in pain and seeing sawed off bone and muscle.

If I could, I would. I have a pretty low tolerance for pain, so if I had to do it myself I'd probably struggle a lot and would likely not get it cut off in a timely manner, even with the threat of someone else's death. I don't really think too highly of myself, so I would probably do it for most people, unless they were specifically people whom I was aware of being highly abusive, a person who murdered another for an unreasonable reason, etc. I feel guilt stronger than any emotion, so I would't be able to get away with not doing this.

oh btw, you could use a tourniquet. -> no pain when it goes numb, stops blood flow, and you can even surgically cut a v-section and close up the wound with stitches. It's still brutal and probably very gruesome, but better than bleeding out and feeling all of the pain.

edit: infection might be a problem though.

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
-May they rest in peace.

-MK Ultra style? If peaceful ways could not extract that information, then I'll put my compassion aside for the sake of the many.

-You mean establishing a dictatorship, or, say, a dictatorship disguised in democracy? No. I would lead the way for people who are willing to follow in order to own their own well-being. I will not take that decision in their stead.

If he's willing to do that, they live. If not, they die.

I wonder how that conversation would go for most of us:

"Greetings, healthy person. So, I'm someone who's not willing to cut off a leg to save the life of a stranger, but would you be kind enough to allow me to dissect you and help these dying people by taking your kidney, heart, liver, and maybe sell the rest in the black market? I swear I will stitch up your body back together and mummify it. You don't want that? You want it put in a crematorium, and have your ashes spread in the blablablabla romantic nostalgic place? Whatever, man. So that's a yes? That's a no? Fuck you. Fuck you. These poor people are dying because of you. Shame on you. Would you drink this cup of water? No, it's not poisoned that would ruin your precious organs. No, no sleeping drugs there. Sheesh, I Wonder where you got that idea from. Just drink it, man. Fuck you for not drinking it. Fuck you."

Let's revisit this:

-May they rest in peace.

It will take a lot of courage initially, but I'm willing to do that for two people:
-One who is extremely dear to me. Not many are.
-Someone whose survival is extremely useful as an asset for the survival of society in a time of contingency operations in a dire moment of history. Then again, not many are that useful. Pure military decision making.

I wouldn't do that out of a glorified will. I'm no hero.

-MK Ultra style? If peaceful ways could not extract that information, then I'll put my compassion aside for the sake of the many.

I'll accept the premise that torturing that person would guarantee an honest answer and reply according to that.
Torturing someone would still be the last desperate thing I will hate myself for resorting to. It is cowardly, but I would do it for the sake of the many.
Torturing one person Vs the lives of many. My principles Vs the survival of many. I can live with that. That's as far as I would give up for the many, however. Anything else, let them die. I'm still selfish.

-You mean establishing a dictatorship, or, say, a dictatorship disguised in democracy? No. I would lead the way for people who are willing to follow in order to own their own well-being. I will not take that decision in their stead.

^That's good, but the results in a time of desperate need for vigilance and keen judgment would be terrible.
As much as I would like people to think for themselves, many are unable to do so. I don't mind enforcing order if it is for their greater good. The free folk line is good in theory, idealistic and poetic, really, but in reality, many don't have a compass to govern themselves, don't know what to follow, do shit that serves them, and need to be ruled. It's either that or watch them crash and burn.

If he's willing to do that, they live. If not, they die.

Still the same answer.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Without question.

In a fantasy world in which torture actually works: I'd do it, and I'd hate myself for it.

No.

Would depend on the results of a detailed and forthright conversation with the healthy patient.