• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

can a leopard change its spots?

can we change who we are?

• Total voters

Lark

No, with a caveat. I think we vastly overestimate how much of our selves are REALLY innate or essential. I've died and been reborn many times, and I'm often surprised to see qualities/attitudes I thought were essential to who I was, burn away! I thought it was steel, but it was just dead wood waiting to be cleared out

This is interesting but I'd ask how much of what you're describing as disappearing in this process could be described as essential or in essence, which could be a point you've made, I'm not sure, what I would describe as the human essence or innate nature is pretty fundamental or basic and I think a lot of the time people find it easy to dismiss is that too many things are classed as nature, essential or essence.

Ideas or concepts can become weaker when they are over loaded and too many different things included there in.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Changing our innate nature? Quite simply put, no..

But people try, many peoples entire lives revolve around running from their innate natures.

We live in a world where people drug themselves to sleep every night. A world in which people indulge in fantasy to avoid facing reality. A world in which people lie to themselves constantly for the comfort of their minds. And though these are some of the people that run with large strides, out in the open and obvious often at the cost of their surroundings.
So many more make little turns here and there just to avoid the straight path by the tiniest of margins. It creeps into their lives almost unnoticed. Little habits, harmless thoughts and seeminly fair rationalizations subtly masking their underlying intent.

But ironically, through the stresses accumalated by avoiding to face themselves directly, very slowly their innate natures changes. Often the changes are harmless and allow them to form into a workable ideal of life. But sometimes they do not, and it gnaws and gnaws. Either way, it is an affront to their authenticity.

Basicly, you can't change your innate nature for the better. My advice would be to understand it to the best of your ability, accept it, and go from there. Having innate nature and following it blindly are not synonymous after all. But if you really are set on changing your innate nature, then don't worry, for you can definately make it worse. *thumbs up*

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I hope for more potential for change rather than less, but the answer to the question doesn’t make a difference to me in the active sense. If I love something enough to want to inhabit it with my own being, if I can’t attain that, whatever it is is still worth spending a lifetime working toward in honor of it. Or, just until I change my mind about what I love. We’ll see.

Lark

For meaning creating animals our existence is not tethered to essence, rather we live and die by meaning.

You're right, our existence is not tethered to essence, we have become denatured but do you think that's desirable or sustainable? I dont, the limits are not apparent yet but stresses, strains and breakdowns have already shown up, individual or social.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have to believe that change is possible, otherwise what's the point? Are some of us born bad?

this is along the lines of one of the things that bothers me the most about some viewpoints on religion... if we have no power to control whether we do good or bad, is it even fair to send people to hell?

Permabanned

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
this is along the lines of one of the things that bothers me the most about some viewpoints on religion... if we have no power to control whether we do good or bad, is it even fair to send people to hell?
Exactly this was what fatally injured religion for me. I still remember when and why this occurred to me years ago.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
This is interesting but I'd ask how much of what you're describing as disappearing in this process could be described as essential or in essence, which could be a point you've made, I'm not sure, what I would describe as the human essence or innate nature is pretty fundamental or basic and I think a lot of the time people find it easy to dismiss is that too many things are classed as nature, essential or essence.

Ideas or concepts can become weaker when they are over loaded and too many different things included there in.

I am happy to be engaged, but I'm not sure what you're asking. It seems like there's some philosophical stuff in there, but the first sentence is crazy long, sorry :(

Lark

I am happy to be engaged, but I'm not sure what you're asking. It seems like there's some philosophical stuff in there, but the first sentence is crazy long, sorry :(

What is wrong with long sentences?

Honest question as I've heard this said a few times as though it should to plain to me that someone is writing in English it cant be assumed they speak German.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
What is wrong with long sentences? Honest question as I've heard this said a few times as though it should to plain to me that someone is writing in English it cant be assumed they speak German.

So your first question here is a nice, clear sentence. I can tell you that there isn't anything wrong with long sentences. You didnt write a long sentence, though. I was being charitable. You sort of threw three sentences together, making it difficult for me to understand what you were saying.

Perhaps the fault lies with me, for not being able to parse it. I was asking you to break it down for me so that I could properly respond to you. I wished to engage with you, because it seemed like you were asking me something interesting. Unfortunately I could not make sense of it, and I am genuinely sorry if I seem very stupid to you.

That being said, you are not being terribly clear here either. Imagine if someone walked up to you and said:

"It should be plain to you that someone is writing in English it cant be assumed they speak German."

What are you saying here? Are you trying to tell me that my lack of reading comprehension would seem to suggest English is not my first language? Are you trying to say short sentences are more of a German thing? Are you trying to say I am assuming you speak German despite the fact that you're clearly writing in English? Are you saying that by asking you to modify your phrasing, it is like I am asking you to speak a foreign language?

Lark

So your first question here is a nice, clear sentence. I can tell you that there isn't anything wrong with long sentences. You didnt write a long sentence, though. I was being charitable. You sort of threw three sentences together, making it difficult for me to understand what you were saying.

Perhaps the fault lies with me, for not being able to parse it. I was asking you to break it down for me so that I could properly respond to you. I wished to engage with you, because it seemed like you were asking me something interesting. Unfortunately I could not make sense of it, and I am genuinely sorry if I seem very stupid to you.

That being said, you are not being terribly clear here either. Imagine if someone walked up to you and said:

"It should be plain to you that someone is writing in English it cant be assumed they speak German."

What are you saying here? Are you trying to tell me that my lack of reading comprehension would seem to suggest English is not my first language? Are you trying to say short sentences are more of a German thing? Are you trying to say I am assuming you speak German despite the fact that you're clearly writing in English? Are you saying that by asking you to modify your phrasing, it is like I am asking you to speak a foreign language?

I dont think there is a point talking to you.

And I am not going to.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think we soften our edges and smooth out other parts of ourselves prone to doing bad/dumb shit.

But who you are innately is who you are, and if you think there is something you need to change, I think it would be best to determine if what needs to be changed is something you can work on or can't. If you can't, then accept it. If you can, then work on it

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nature and culture exist in a feedback loop so yes I think we can, I’m just not certain to what degree.