• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why modern atheism is so shallow

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I would assume or presume and propose that only 1 in 4 atheists are actually aware of what they believe in, leaving 3 in 4 who have no idea what they're doing, thinking or talking about. 75% of atheists could turn out to be monks on lsd. Kind of like Catholicism or Protestantism or Hinduism or Islam(minus the lsd) or Buddhism or PETA or Grannies for Guns or the Fetus Bombers.

Oh, how interesting. I'm sure the same can be said of people who ascribe to any religious (non)belief.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
I would say that many atheists are agnostic and most agnostics are atheists. Most atheists/agnostics fail to express their opinions any deeper than "I don't believe there is a god" or "It can't be known whether or not there is a god". There's plenty of secondary labels for both atheists and agnostics. I encourage everyone to find the label that fits them best to clarify their views. If you can't find a label that fits you, try harder or create one.

Question. Why exactly do they need to have any opinion further than that? IF they want to debate it with others, sure, they need more of an opinion, but if not...why? Do they really need a list of reasons, facts, and things they like about atheism and don't about *insert religion here* ?

I fail to see how them making the decision that they do not believe in god/don't care about religion/believe it is unknowable, actually NEEDS anything besides exactly that...deciding that for yourself.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
^True that.

I don't attack anyone who disbelieves in the Flying Spaghetti Monster and demand their reasoning for it.

(Ahhh, Pastafarianism!)

LEGERdeMAIN

Question. Why exactly do they need to have any opinion further than that? IF they want to debate it with others, sure, they need more of an opinion, but if not...why?

Question. Why do you feel the need to ask me a question and then answer in the very next sentence?

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Question. Why do you feel the need to ask me a question and then answer in the very next sentence?

Because from the way I took the wording in your post, it seemed that you had a different opinion from mine, so I was curious. The next sentence would be my opinion.

LEGERdeMAIN

I see.

I simply tried to state why people who are interested in religion and atheism might see atheists and agnostics as shallow. The main reason I hypothesized that atheists are seen as shallow is because most don't talk much about their beliefs, especially with non-atheists. It seems to me if people tried to explore the reasons that they don't believe in a god and shared it in discussions with non-atheists, then some level of equality in perceptions would transpire.

I deviated from the thread title somewhat, but only because atheism can't be shallow. There's no reason to personify a belief system, or a non-belief system, which is also a belief system.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
cba to read stupid religious bullshit

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would say that many people who define themselves as Atheist, are really more Agnostic, or just literally don't care.

That sounds pretty shallow to me. It's a pretty fundamental question, perhaps the most important question of all, how is it possible for a person with any depth to "not care" what the answer is?

An atheist is defined by what he believes; an agnostic is not defined by anything other than doubt. They are not interchangeable terms. Ignorant atheists are still atheists, just as ignorant theists are still theists. It's also possible to be an agnostic theist.