• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Intelligence or Creativity: Pick One.

Which would you choose?

• Total voters

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
If you could either have high intelligence paired with low creativity or low intelligence with high creativity, which would you pick? And why?

I couldn't decide right away, but I would choose creativity. With just intelligence you can accomplish a lot, but I believe it's easier to accomplish greatness with creativity because things innovation, uniqueness, and originality are often key to the ideas that make the biggest difference and stand out.

Also, I think high intelligence is more common than high creativity, I don't have any stats to back this up, and I'm not even sure if you can test for creativity... perhaps you could test someone's divergent thinking.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well Duh. The second one already describes me.

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Avg. intelligence, high creativity.

I have above avg intelligence and creativity somewhere around avg, maybe slightly above. As far as I'm aware. So I wouldn't change them, because all I'd be doing is dumbing myself needlessly. If I had to choose though creativity is better, but it's pretty useless without a good amount of intelligence.

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
I didn't have to think much about this. Creativity trumps intelligence. If you had high intelligence but low creativity, what would you be good for? You'd be a computer--good for nothing but running other peoples' programs, crunching numbers, processing data. Booooorrrrring!

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I consider high creativity to be high intelligence. But that's just my own definition of intelligence. For me, intelligence isn't about being logical, it's about coming up with ideas. In the case of creativity, I define it as the ability to envision and act on inspirations. I prefer the freedom that imagination brings as opposed to the constraints of logic.

I voted for Low Intelligence - High Creativity because I am more swayed by a creative idea than logical possibility (logic also has a way of changing). I believe that the most random, frivolous, and pointless inspirations at any given time could end up being useful in the future in one form or another.

Personally, it feels more rewarding to come up with a random idea than it does to uncover a truth through analysis.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Personally, it feels more rewarding to come up with a random idea than it does to uncover a truth through analysis.
Rewarding in what way? I would find it more "lucky" than "rewarding", since I didn't actively put effort into it. I'm not trying to criticize, I'm just wondering.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Rewarding in what way? I would find it more "lucky" than "rewarding", since I didn't actively put effort into it. I'm not trying to criticize, I'm just wondering.

Like perhaps I'll have a random idea, and then I'll generate another random idea, and another, and so on. Eventually I could be able to make a connection between these ideas and sort of weave them into, I dunno, maybe a novel. Or a movie. Or an amusement park attraction. A video game. Who knows?

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So you mean they could "turn out to be" rewarding? I get what you're saying.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So you mean they could "turn out to be" rewarding? I get what you're saying.

Yes. But just knowing that an idea could be useful someday is also rewarding. And not only that, but the fact that something was inspired gives me a sense of self-confidence as well as enables me to occupy my mind.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
both high intelligence and high creativity.

both can be forms of each. you can see high intelligence be creative in its own way and you can see creativity be very intelligent in its own way. maybe this isn't the point of the thread but...

to me they are all the same thing

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Creativity no questions asked. I can't imagine having little ability to be creative, I rely on that way too much as it stands. I think though that creativity gives you much more pleasure and joy, basically you can make any situation what you wish. Plus if all else fails you will always have company and an opportunity because everybody loves the funny goofy guy who always has ideas.

Being introverted as well I think somewhat changes my perception on things. Being inside my head all the time without some sort of creativity just sounds impossibly dull and not fulfilling. I think being goofy at this point in my life is too integral to my personality that anything less couldn't possibly be "me".

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
To tell you the truth I think that high intelligence - low creativity combination is unlikely combination.

Maybe even impossibe by definition.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
To tell you the truth I think that high intelligence - low creativity combination is
unlikely combination.

Maybe even impossibe by definition.

right, to be highly creative you must be highly intelligent (in some way or another) and to be highly intelligent you have to be highly creative (in some way or another)

plus dont forget that there are many different kinds of intelligences, you have:

Keirsey
Logistical
Tactical
Diplomatic
Strategic

Gardner's Categories of Intelligence
Bodily-Kinesthetic
Interpersonal
Verbal-Linguistic
Logical-Mathematical
Naturalistic
Intrapersonal
Visual-Spatial
Musical
etc.

and many more!

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Agree with mlittrell. Creativity is correlated to the G-quotient.

Question doesn't make much sense. Creativity is applied intelligence.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I think to a certain extent its hard to be really creative without having a good level of intelligence. I don't think though that you have to be creative to be intelligent. If you think of what most newbies to MBTI think of what an Intelligent S is (rote god/goddess) who is basically like a recorder and doesn't have any ingenuity to speak of only those that were handed down to them by professors and experts. I absolutely don't believe S's are like that just to clarify, but im sure we've all met someone who can learn really well and can execute what they've learned really well but struggles without explicit instruction or adapting to changing scenarios.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I voted for high intelligence and low creativity.
I think its hard to be intelligent AND uncreative though.
A greater understanding of the world allows for more opportunities to be creative.
I don't consider people who are adept at memorizing but nothing else that intelligent though- memory is one piece of the whole picture.
I consider creativity to be a component of intelligence.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I definitely chose Creativity. >.o I'm already of average intelligence.. going a bit lower wouldn't bother me too much. To lose my creativity and imagination though? I don't know if I could live life like that! So uninspired and mechanical.. to think of it!