• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Intelligence or Creativity: Pick One.

Which would you choose?

• Total voters

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
They say that creativity increases with IQ up until an IQ of 110, then above that IQ doesn't matter as much in determining creativity.

This is from something I read a while ago, I don't have a link.

Of course the ability to think logically is a more distinguished factor regarding having a high IQ, though creativity does matter, as you mention it is notable up to the 110 sector. Thus, we can conclude that people of IQ 110 and higher tend to be creative.

Nonetheless, some intelligent people are very creative, others are less so, but I doubt you will find an intelligent person who is clearly uncreative.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Bluewing though, I think you have to understand that a lot of your references are revolutionary type people at the forefront of their fields. Do you not think its possible that some people may in fact be intelligent but don't have the strong drive to form a niche of their own. Heck, just look at your fascination with MBTI. Most people are comfortable with just a cursory understanding of it I would not call them unintelligent, on the contrary I would assume people who have a decent grasp of it would most likely be intelligent. Those who take the time and effort to internalize its true essence like you would be more apt to acknowledged as creative. A lot of intelligent people don't have that inner drive, vision, wisdom or innate ability to personalize things and instead settle for just understanding. You could say that it requires a certain level of creativity to accomplish, but at the same time it lacks the "air" of creativity which is what I would imagine ajblaise and others were getting at.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Bluewing though, I think you have to understand that a lot of your references are revolutionary type people at the forefront of their fields. Do you not think its possible that some people may in fact be intelligent but don't have the strong drive to form a niche of their own. Heck, just look at your fascination with MBTI. Most people are comfortable with just a cursory understanding of it I would not call them unintelligent, on the contrary I would assume people who have a decent grasp of it would most likely be intelligent. Those who take the time and effort to internalize its true essence like you would be more apt to acknowledged as creative. A lot of intelligent people don't have that inner drive, vision, wisdom or innate ability to personalize things and instead settle for just understanding. You could say that it requires a certain level of creativity to accomplish, but at the same time it lacks the "air" of creativity which is what I would imagine ajblaise and others were getting at.

What I mean is, people who are very good at theoretical math, physics, philosophy or in other words, are highly intelligent tend to also be creative.

That is all.

Bluewing though, I think you have to understand that a lot of your references are revolutionary type people at the forefront of their fields. Do you not think its possible that some people may in fact be intelligent but don't have the strong drive to form a niche of their own. Heck, just look at your fascination with MBTI.

What are you talking about? Where do you see any relevance of what I said to MBTI!?

My argument was that envisioning complex problems requires imagination. Intelligence is the same thing as the ability to solve complex problems. Therefore imagination and intelligence stand in direct proportion to one another. Where does MBTI fall into this?

You could say that it requires a certain level of creativity to accomplish, but at the same time it lacks the "air" of creativity which is what I would imagine ajblaise and others were getting at.

This does not make any sense. Creativity is the ability to come up with new ideas. Highly intelligent people were the ones who came up with new ideas not only in academic disciplines but also in all other ways that have revolutionized our lives. For example, technology, this clearly required for people to come up with new ideas. Those who came up with such ideas were the same kind of people who solved complex academical problems. For instance, computer technology was founded on ideas of logicians and mathematicians like George Boole and Alan Turing.

If you mean by air of creativity some kind of an arstistic expression, I do not get at all why people like Boole and Turing, granted the examples above, should be considered any less creative than artists.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
What I mean is, people who are very good at theoretical math, physics, philosophy or in other words, are highly intelligent tend to also be creative.

That is all.

What are you talking about? Where do you see any relevance of what I said to MBTI!?

My argument was that envisioning complex problems requires imagination. Intelligence is the same thing as the ability to solve complex problems. Therefore imagination and intelligence stand in direct proportion to one another. Where does MBTI fall into this?

I meant to say that yes intelligence implies a certain level of creativity. A high level of creativity does not necessarily need a high level of intelligence. Some people who could be considered very intelligent might not be all to creative as is the case with people who understand MBTI on a cursory level. Some people like Jung may be intelligent but not ground breakingly so but undoubtedly have a high level of imagination and creativity, same could probably be said of freud. Is there a barrier to entry in terms of creativity? I would definitely say so. Is it necessary to be ultra intelligent to be considered very creative not in my estimation.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Meh if I HAD to pick ONLY one I suppose I'd pick creative.

I wish I could have picked before hand what my gifts and talents were. But I didn't get to pick any of it. None of us did. Do you ever think about that?

In my psych class they said that to a degree you can actually make yourself more intelligent with brain excersizes and such. I wonder if you can make yourself more creative.

I don't know about my intelligence or my creativity but I'm making do with what I've got: strategy and determination.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I'd rather be intelligent because I value respect. If I had low intelligence, I think I would be ridiculed for it. Besides, if I was highly intelligent, I believe I could manufacture a certain degree of creativity.

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
If you could either have high intelligence paired with low creativity or low intelligence with high creativity, which would you pick? And why?

I couldn't decide right away, but I would choose creativity. With just intelligence you can accomplish a lot, but I believe it's easier to accomplish greatness with creativity because things innovation, uniqueness, and originality are often key to the ideas that make the biggest difference and stand out.

Also, I think high intelligence is more common than high creativity, I don't have any stats to back this up, and I'm not even sure if you can test for creativity... perhaps you could test someone's divergent thinking.

You have to define what do you mean by intelligence first.

The way I see it, creative people are the intelligent people.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd rather be intelligent because I value respect. If I had low intelligence, I think I would be ridiculed for it. Besides, if I was highly intelligent, I believe I could manufacture a certain degree of creativity.

People who ridicule each other make my blood boil.

Rainman

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
If you could either have high intelligence paired with low creativity or low intelligence with high creativity, which would you pick? And why?

I couldn't decide right away, but I would choose creativity. With just intelligence you can accomplish a lot, but I believe it's easier to accomplish greatness with creativity because things innovation, uniqueness, and originality are often key to the ideas that make the biggest difference and stand out.

Also, I think high intelligence is more common than high creativity, I don't have any stats to back this up, and I'm not even sure if you can test for creativity... perhaps you could test someone's divergent thinking.

Yep. Pretty much my opinion on this topic. Creativity makes the world a more enjoyable, bareable place to live in. Intelligence although handy in many ways is overrated and largely relative to ones living conditions and importance of what that person knows. For example you could know a shit load about maths, equations and greek history, but stick that person in the middle of the amazon and he wouldn't last long.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Don't know, never had to make this choice as an ENFP :). We get to miss out on being organised and punctual instead. Think I measured full on three quadrants and almost zero on that quadrant in the four quadrant test.

Which would I get rid of if I had to? Probably intelligence. I derive a lot more fun from creativity than intelligence. Intelligence is nice though. Just less important to me.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I picked high creativity, but that's a toughie, because I really wouldn't want to give up intelligence either.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
It's not what you got but how you use it so I'll always pick creativity over intelligence. My computer is smarter than I am, but he never gets anywhere.

:). This is why I love creativity, and the INFPs view of the world.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Intelligence is the ability to follow the rules. Creativity is the ability to break the rules and replace them with your own.

Rogue

MBTI Type
ENFP
Id pick creativity...but I think you have to be kinda smart to be creative...Like in writing

Creativity is making your own rules and following them ;)

Cameigons

MBTI Type
INFj
Enneagram
4w3
I can think of many examples of successful people with high creativity and low IQ (if that's what we should consider intelligence here), such as people form entertainment world, writers, artists such as Andy Warhol, etc.

But on a whim I picked intelligence. If you're a genius of math and logic(even though high creativity might be indispensable there too, but well.. screw it:D), it's more likely that you'll be successful regardless of any other factors, I can think of Stephen Hawking, John Nash, the guy who invented Bittorrent or of my friends who's a software genius for whom I see a very bright future ahead...

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
I can think of many examples of successful people with high creativity and low IQ (if that's what we should consider intelligence here), such as people form entertainment world, writers, artists such as Andy Warhol, etc.

But on a whim I picked intelligence. If you're a genius of math and logic(even though high creativity might be indispensable there too, but well.. screw it:D), it's more likely that you'll be successful regardless of any other factors, I can think of Stephen Hawking, John Nash, the guy who invented Bittorrent or of my friends who's a software genius for whom I see a very bright future ahead...
the stupidest people i know have high IQs and the smartest people i know have high EQs