• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Intelligence or Creativity: Pick One.

Which would you choose?

• Total voters

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ
If you could either have high intelligence paired with low creativity or low intelligence with high creativity, which would you pick? And why?

I couldn't decide right away, but I would choose creativity. With just intelligence you can accomplish a lot, but I believe it's easier to accomplish greatness with creativity because things innovation, uniqueness, and originality are often key to the ideas that make the biggest difference and stand out.

Also, I think high intelligence is more common than high creativity, I don't have any stats to back this up, and I'm not even sure if you can test for creativity... perhaps you could test someone's divergent thinking.

I don't see how you can be intelligent and not creative. Creativity is subjective to others I guess...

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I really don't beleive that it's possible to be creative without being intelligent- I've always seen creativity as intelligence with flexibility.

I think I'd go with creativity if forced though, since you can always get by if you're creative, but you may get stuck somewhere in life if you're merely intelligent.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't see how you can be intelligent and not creative. Creativity is subjective to others I guess...

I know some people who are incredibly book smart, and excel at school and love exercising their brain... but they don't have a creative bone in their body. Also, they don't have great senses of humor.

I really don't beleive that it's possible to be creative without being intelligent- I've always seen creativity as intelligence with flexibility.

I think I'd go with creativity if forced though, since you can always get by if you're creative, but you may get stuck somewhere in life if you're merely intelligent.

I read something somewhere that creativity stops increasing with intelligence at an IQ of 110. It said something to that effect, not sure on the exact words.

T

ThatGirl

I know some people who are incredibly book smart, and excel at school and love exercising their brain... but they don't have a creative bone in their body. Also, they don't have great senses of humor.

I read something somewhere that creativity stops increasing with intelligence at an IQ of 110. It said something to that effect, not sure on the exact words.

I am living proof that, that is a load of crap

T

ThatGirl

well, my IQ exceeds 110 a lot, and I am very creative, more so than most people I know.

Except for house furnishings

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I think what ajblaise means is that there is no significant correlation between IQ and creativity past 110. All this means is that having a higher than 110 IQ does not determine creativity. You may have a higher IQ and be very creative, but it isn't the result of your high IQ.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
well, my IQ exceeds 110 a lot, and I am very creative, more so than most people I know.

Except for house furnishings

Yeah, it's not saying that people with higher-than-110-IQ's aren't creative or are less creative, but that people with 110 IQ's and up all have a similar chance of being creatively talented.

T

ThatGirl

Hm, I thought that creativity would be increased by your ability to recognize possibility which is increased by your ability to take in and process information. At least it is for me. The more I understand the more creative I become, or push things to the limits of creative capability. Maybe it is a confidence thing.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Hm, I thought that creativity would be increased by your ability to recognize possibility which is increased by your ability to take in and process information. At least it is for me. The more I understand the more creative I become, or push things to the limits of creative capability. Maybe it is a confidence thing.

Yes, but I don't think that either of the things that you mention are really represented by IQ tests.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP

The ability to take in and process information is no doubt important to creativity, but I think 'divergent thinking' is more important. Someone could be a great divergent thinker but could have trouble with problem solving and reasoning.

T

ThatGirl

well if that is not intelligence then I take it back. i am not creative, i am a creative tracer

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I would choose having high creativity which just so happens to entail having a high level of intelligence.

:)

MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't respect creativity without the cost-benefit analysis to back it up. If we're talking about something, like art, that doesn't require analysis to produce well, I can appreciate it but I'll leave it to other people. I do actually have artistic leanings, but I don't really have the temperament to be committed to it.
Ultimately, I prize my analytical skills more than self-expression or originality.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'd rather be a creator than a learned regurgitator.

Artists > Critics

Synthesis > Analysis

Induction > Deduction

:)

S

Sniffles

IMHO, a better ditchomy here would be Intelligence vs. Wisdom.

As for this one: I guess if one wants to define "Intelligence" as largely meaning abstract logic, then I'd prefer creativity.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I'm already highly intelligent and not very creative, so...I guess I'll just stay the way I am.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
I think creativeness is very important for society to move forward...

Its important to make an environment very creative friendly

or maybe im nostalgic for the internet boom. the last time i remember when society developed on creativity. haha