User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Alice in Blunderland View Post
    "Than ever before" seems like a stretch since violence or at least the threat of it was a daily reality for humans up until recent times. However, there definitely is a lot of research suggesting that we're influenced by what we watch and that watching violent content can desensitize us to violence and cause us to act out more aggressively.

Ideally, it would be good for the human species to become less violent, not more so, so I would say that watching violent programming isn't a good thing in the sense that it isn't beneficial. However, we do lots of things in life that aren't necessarily beneficial (eating potato chips comes to mind since I'm sitting here with a bag of chips in hand), and unless you plan to become a hermit, some exposure to violence is an unavoidable part of life. So, I would say the key is to watch representations of violence in moderation and with conscious awareness of how they affect you. That said, I can't really find anything redeeming about depictions of gratuitous violence that exist just to feed a sadistic sense of pleasure in watching someone suffer.
    Considering some of the things people got up to in the medieval and ancient world, we're a bunch of prim, petty coat wearing school girls. The Romans used mass execution as form of both entertainment and education - education on what it meant to be a killer, the type they needed in their armies. The Gladiatorial games were an excellent psychological primer for a life of violence, allowing the legions to recruit people who were already desensitised to things that would make most people today vomit.

Do I think that violent movies promote violent behaviour... No, not really. Fiction amuses, but reality bites. Some movies have no content except meaningless violence, but I suspect people who watch them have problems already. Their taste in movies is a symptom, rather than the root cause.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.
    Likes Tater liked this post

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTP

I hate correlations like this, not because there isn't something to it perhaps, but because the concept of violence is a murky thing with much deeper and more important questions that go unaddressed when you look at it in these superficial terms.

A certain degree of exposure to it is a good thing. Even though violence itself is usually bad, the capacity for it is very important, so it's tough to balance. It's like water on a flat plane- if someone lacks the capacity for it, it creates a void from which the water of violence will naturally rush in from outside to fill. Too much capacity and it overflows out and around. It's just too liquid amorphous of a concept.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

My dad and his sister nearly killed each other during some of their fights. If there were sharp things around, they would definitely try to stab each other. And that might be after an episode of the Beverly Hillbillies. Those types of shows just don't satiate a person's blood lust. If they were growing up in current times, they'd be too lazy to get off their fat asses to bother stabbing each other.
    Likes Yuurei liked this post

MBTI
    Ixxp
    Enneagram
    9 sp/so

I think it really depends on who is watching and what they are watching.

And definitions here can be odd & misleading.

I don't think violence in shows is a problem that'll manifest into reality rather perhapsahow that are overall and sole purpose is violence can cause issues.

Also from this you need to consider if violent people are attracted to violent shows instead of violent shows causing people to be violent. And if it does are the effects permanent are is it just a state of mind?
    Time's going to warn you with a whisper.
    Likes rav3n liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ

I skimmed through the thread a bit and tried to think about what "bad" would mean for other people concerning this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by k9a4b View Post
    Is violence a bad thing?
    Ditto.

Let's return to the questions.

Bad for mental health?
    Depends on the fraility and impressionability of the "mental health" in question.

Bad, as if in a "moral" sense?
    Bullshit. If you are thinking this you should accept the fact that like everyone else, you have violent impulses. Make your peace and find rest. You might even be repressing a delight in violence with this "moral" thing.

Bad, since it provokes you and the others into being violent?
    No. This calls for the law of projection, since we rarely blame ourselves, but we blame the stimuli; when we react to one that we find "bad" to react to. If you want to do it, accept responsibility for it, if you don't want to do it, learn enough self-control to not to put yourself in a situation that would make you responsible.

Bad, as if in tasteless?
    Nope. Violence can have a strikingly elegant aesthetic. Besides, if facts were to speak, a spank stimulates dopamine neurotransmitters much more powerfully compared to a gentle caress.
    "The owl of Minerva spreads its wings only with the falling of the dusk."
    Likes Typh0n liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    NiFi
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI4 Ni

I think a lot of people don't want watching/playing violence to be considered bad.

I do believe those studies that the more one is exposed to violence, the slower one reacts to those in need. The desensitization is very real.

Quote Originally Posted by Glados View Post
    Bad, as if in a "moral" sense?
    Bullshit. If you are thinking this you should accept the fact that like everyone else, you have violent impulses. Make your peace and find rest. You might even be repressing a delight in violence with this "moral" thing.
    This is a baffling argument, to say the least. There is no contradiction between the idea that everyone has violent impulses and that acting upon such impulses could be considered immoral. Likewise, even if we accept that adhering to certain moral standards does imply repression (an assumption that has just as many ins and outs as the matter at hand), whether we choose morality and repression or amorality and a delight in violence is an open question. The answer is far from obvious.

+ There is another layer of meaning behind "bad", one that you fail to consider: Violence is "bad" for social institutions from a strictly utilitarian perspective.

Armchair Explorer Doctor Anaximander's Avatar
    MBTI
    TiSi
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

No. It can be a form of art. Real life violence is a lot quicker, more abrupt, jarring. So I can understand the argument that fictional film violence glamorizes it, but again, it's art. A representation, not the real thing, and I don't believe it makes people more violent. That said, I have to be in the right mood for certain film violence. I couldn't really stand Irreversible, and I normally have a pretty solid stomach for that sort of thing. I also find Game of thrones to be too grimdark, and no it's not "edgy," it's just bleak.