User Tag List

First 123 Last

My perception is that all Abrahamic religions equate to one religion, that of one sky god with many sects, including but not exclusive to Judaism, Islam, Christianity, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post
    My perception is that all Abrahamic religions equate to one religion, that of one sky god with many sects, including but not exclusive to Judaism, Islam, Christianity, etc.
    Are you satisfied with this perception?

I would not be.

Quote Originally Posted by Survive & Stay Free View Post
    Are you satisfied with this perception?

I would not be.
    Completely and utterly.

You and I are very different people, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post
    Completely and utterly.

You and I are very different people, to say the least.
    You can say that again.

Maybe in time you'll feel differently about things. Only time will tell but so long as you're content. That's what they say.

MBTI
    IXTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

bechimo is roughly on the mark. The esoteric heart of most major religions are largely hidden but share common themes, mainly of a very abstract and mystical nature. Exoteric religions arose from an accumulation of partly or poorly understood concepts, adapted to fit the emotional needs of the masses (for meaning, explanation, consolation and tradition) and the political needs of their rulers.

Buddhism is probably the one major religion where the esoteric heart is most on display while its historical evolution is a good illustration of how esoteric teachings inevitably become "religionised" into exoteric religion, with the attempted grounding of its subtle psychological concepts in rituals and symbols and folk tales.
    Likes lightsun liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by deathwarmedup View Post
    bechimo is roughly on the mark. The esoteric heart of most major religions are largely hidden but share common themes, mainly of a very abstract and mystical nature. Exoteric religions arose from an accumulation of partly or poorly understood concepts, adapted to fit the emotional needs of the masses (for meaning, explanation, consolation and tradition) and the political needs of their rulers.

Buddhism is probably the one major religion where the esoteric heart is most on display while its historical evolution is a good illustration of how esoteric teachings inevitably become "religionised" into exoteric religion, with the attempted grounding of its subtle psychological concepts in rituals and symbols and folk tales.
    Given my own knowledge of world religions I can say that's a pretty cliched western stereotype, the same as idea that buddhists are naturally peaceable and enlightened folk not capable of genocide *cough* Burma *cough*

MBTI
    IXTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Survive & Stay Free View Post
    Given my own knowledge of world religions I can say that's a pretty cliched western stereotype
    Critique the cliché.

the same as idea that buddhists are naturally peaceable and enlightened folk not capable of genocide *cough* Burma *cough*
    Powerful example of the "religionisation" I just mentioned.

Senior Member Justin of Flavia Neapolis's Avatar

“Hevel, hevel, everything is utterly hevel.”

-Teacher (Ecclesiastes)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI None

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Don't forget to throw Islam into the mix, both the Old and New Testament are recognized as holy books by them. And Jesus is mentioned by name more in the Koran than Muhammad. If you want to get a pretty balanced historical perspective about the history of Judaic derived religion, it's beginnings and divergences from somebody who treats the subject with respect, this is a really great book: A History of God: The 4, 000-Year Quest of Judaism, Christianity and Islam - Kindle edition by Karen Armstrong. Religion & Spirituality Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.
    Hello Qlip. I try and keep an open mind. To me the scriptures are mere stepping stones to learn the truth within. I like Hinduism's stance, "There are many paths to the top of the mountain." I follow no religion but take the best of secular wisdom in areas of philosophy, psychology and science alongside religious scripts that appeal to me. What I especially like are parallel sayings of the masters Jesus, Lao Tzu and Buddha.

I like Eastern religious faith, especially Buddhism's mindfulness more than Western religions of Zoroastrianism, Judaism, Christianity and Sikhism. I find their black and white thinking of good and evil naive.

MBTI
    IXTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'd tentatively suggest that just the gospels themselves represent two different religions. John is a declaration Christ's exclusive authority in the context of a very defined task; it is a very religious document. Mathew - the penultimate of the synoptic documents - makes much use of agricultural metaphors of spiritual growth and nurturing - metaphors and ideas that sit comfortably alongside those of certain other religions. It's a very spiritual document.