User Tag List

12 Last

🍓 girl in an 🍎 world SurrealisticSlumbers's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Default Voicing dissimilar religious/spiritual views

Is it a good idea to admit to first-degree relatives who are religious that you are a humanist, or "spiritual rather than religious"?

Has anyone here done this? How'd it go?
    Introverted iNtuitive Feeling Perceiver (INFP) with highly-developed Te | 5w4 (some days the 4 wins out!)

Senior Member Justin of Flavia Neapolis's Avatar

If you have the conviction in your beliefs, it shouldn't matter how it goes, good or bad. My parents didn't care much. They were like "...oh." Relatives kept trying to convert me to their (schismatic and heretical) denominations, but I stood firm in my belief in No-God (the anti-God) saying that Christ is a literary hero much like Joseph Campbell wrote about. Looking back, it was all a waste of time, but you do you, fren. Godspeed, and I pray it goes as well for you as it went for me.

Lord have mercy.
    Likes SurrealisticSlumbers liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    NiFi
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI4 Ni

I can't say as each family is different. It really depends, also if the faith which one is leaving allows for one to leave.

Maybe I have not said it word for word.

But I've told my parents I'm still spiritual after telling them that the religion is not for me.

They were quiet about it. At first in denial and think I'll come to my senses. They prod me every now and then.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I have had hours long debates with some family members on our differing view points. Is it a good idea? You have to be comfortable with people trying to "save" you if they think you are wrong. It can lead to a falling out. You have to think about those relatives and how they would react. Ultimately only you can decide if it is worth it. I'm a stubborn and blunt INTJ so arguing about such things never bothered me so much, and eventually my family accepted they weren't going to change my convictions with peer pressure. Mostly.
    The strong manly ones in life are those who understand the meaning of the word patience. Patience means restraining one's inclinations. There are seven emotions: joy, anger, anxiety, adoration, grief, fear, and hate, and if a man does not give way to these he can be called patient. I am not as strong as I might be, but I have long known and practiced patience. And if my descendants wish to be as I am, they must study patience.

Ieyasu Tokugawa

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI None

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealisticSlumbers View Post
    Is it a good idea to admit to first-degree relatives who are religious that you are a humanist, or "spiritual rather than religious"?

SurrealiticSlumbers you have to tread carefully. As such it is a case by case basis. If I know someone is truly dogmatic and fundamental i evade the topic and brush it off as soon as decorum allows. To those more open minded I will espouse I am a humanist, existentialist and agnostic leaning towards atheism.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Why do you have to admit anything? I've never had to elaborate beyond - I'm not religious.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Lark, RadicalDoubt liked this post

It would be unrealistic to believe they will convert to your beliefs merely because you state them.

Liberal secularism has given its followers a mistaken idea about what its hegemony means.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Why do you have to admit anything? I've never had to elaborate beyond - I'm not religious.
    I have been called a "Christian" so many times its kinda funny. I generally don't even say anything and just go along. Eventually they find out I don't like religion and I am not even close to being a "Christian". Maybe if they change what being a "Christian" is I would consider that I was , but I don't really care. I know what I want, who I want to be, what my values are so I could really careless about some group and their values they agree on.
    Im out, its been fun

🍓 girl in an 🍎 world SurrealisticSlumbers's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I'm guessing you don't come from a family who is, either.
    Introverted iNtuitive Feeling Perceiver (INFP) with highly-developed Te | 5w4 (some days the 4 wins out!)
    Likes RadicalDoubt liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I'm guessing you don't come from a family who is, either.
    That's not true, my grandparents were quite religious. I never asked why they were religious, I expect that same courtesy from others.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.