• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Random Spiritual Thought Thread

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
in all seriousness, if you really believe that when you die there is NOTHING afterwards, how are most of you making it through the day? like that's it we just gonna be gone. I cant deal with that , I can except death but not ZERO afterlife. like why then WHATS THE POINT.

To enjoy today, and what is? Perhaps enjoy tomorrow and what could be?

What's the alternative? Kill myself and hurt the people who care about me who are still alive?

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member

What's the alternative? Kill myself and hurt the people who care about me who are still alive?

Depends on who you ask, Ive never found the methods of some of the messengers to be honest or effective, but like many such things Ive found that the bad examples of faith tend to scream the loudest. :shrug:

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
in all seriousness, if you really believe that when you die there is NOTHING afterwards, how are most of you making it through the day? like that's it we just gonna be gone. I cant deal with that , I can except death but not ZERO afterlife. like why then WHATS THE POINT.
If there is nothing on the other side, then there goes my neighborhood. Most of my friends are on the other side.

:wacko:

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Honestly, life often feels like a cruel joke. If nothing changes in my life, after the people I'm closest to go, I will be far more likely to kill myself. The thing that keeps me hanging on is that people who care about me, who I care about. I'd never want to hurt them that way.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
Perfect chains are the ones which cannot be seen because you are not aware that you already have ones on you hands, legs and in your mind so you think what others want from you to think without any rational thinking process. Question everything. Believe nothing. Know it.

EQ1qfEiWoAE_VUy

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
They don't end slavery. They just perfect it.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
One such Western convert to Buddhism exhorted me not to use the term "Enlightened" to describe what the True Light does to His Israel, as the Buddha somehow copywrote the term when he described his state of contentment to be called "Enlightenment."

How curious then that during the "Enlightenment" period of the West, one such fraternity of schemers called themselves the "Illuminati" as an inversion of the Christian "Illuminated," and to depose the Monarchial order of the day, and to install their own vision of a Secular world order. Of course then, that same Buddhist won't have a problem with that era being called the "Enlightenment." It's only wrong if the Illuminated uses the term.

This isn't a pro-Monarchy post. I just found it interesting that the world vies to usurp the Light.

Except the Buddha did no such thing since the word “ Enlightenment” is well, English.

The original term is “ Bhodi”

“The English term enlightenment is the western translation of the abstract noun bodhi, (/ˈboʊdi/; Sanskrit: बोधि; Pali: bodhi), the knowledge or wisdom, or awakened intellect, of a Buddha.[1] The verbal root budh- means "to awaken," and its literal meaning is closer to "awakening." Although the term buddhi is also used in other Indian philosophies and traditions, its most common usage is in the context of Buddhism. The term "enlightenment" was popularised in the Western world through the 19th century translations of Max Müller. It has the western connotation of general insight into transcendental truth or reality.”

And of course, in other languages and sects it is different.

“insight (prajna (Sanskrit), wu (Chinese), kensho and satori(Japanese));[2][3] knowledge (vidhya); the "blowing out" (Nirvana) of disturbing emotions and desires and the subsequent freedom or release (vimutti); and the attainment of supreme Buddhahood (samyak sam bodhi), as exemplified by Gautama Buddha.“

I am skeptical of any Buddhist who holds such concrete and petty worldveiws, who cannot see beyond his own small-minded biases.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

1. Seeing the natural end of consciousness as sad is an opinion rather than the fact.
2. You were dead in 18th century and that wasn't a bad experience, so why freaking out about this ?
3. Meaning is just an extension of human instinct that helps around making decisions. But outside of human brain it doesn't really exist.

Why ? Because you don't waste time on imaginary constructs. With accepting death for what it is you live with much lower stress and the drama that comes out of it. Reality is often much more fun when you see it for what it is. Plus doing good is genuine good only if you don't do it out of fear. While pretty much all spirituality is fundamentally a fear management, which is trying to solve something that isn't really a problem.

Except the Buddha did no such thing since the word “ Enlightenment” is well, English.

The original term is “ Bhodi”

“The English term enlightenment is the western translation of the abstract noun bodhi, (/ˈboʊdi/; Sanskrit: बोधि; Pali: bodhi), the knowledge or wisdom, or awakened intellect, of a Buddha.[1] The verbal root budh- means "to awaken," and its literal meaning is closer to "awakening." Although the term buddhi is also used in other Indian philosophies and traditions, its most common usage is in the context of Buddhism. The term "enlightenment" was popularised in the Western world through the 19th century translations of Max Müller. It has the western connotation of general insight into transcendental truth or reality.”

And of course, in other languages and sects it is different.

“insight (prajna (Sanskrit), wu (Chinese), kensho and satori(Japanese));[2][3] knowledge (vidhya); the "blowing out" (Nirvana) of disturbing emotions and desires and the subsequent freedom or release (vimutti); and the attainment of supreme Buddhahood (samyak sam bodhi), as exemplified by Gautama Buddha.“

I am skeptical of any Buddhist who holds such concrete and petty worldveiws, who cannot see beyond his own small-minded biases.

If enlightenment = contentment = bhodi

And bhodi = satori

Then, satori = contentment?

I’ve used “satori” in the past to describe something akin to “spiritual insight.”

Are you sure we’re talking about the same thing? It seems like a bit of a stretch to say contentment = insight.

Contentment would be included as a part of that insight, what’s called a Bhodi, or Satori if you’re Japanese.

That’s why contentment is a virtue, but not the only one. There are many others like chastity or charity or humility (which is a difficult one to attain to).

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sometimes I fall asleep, and figure out the meaning of absurdity, but forget it upon awakening.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
1. Seeing the natural end of consciousness as sad is an opinion rather than the fact.
2. You were dead in 18th century and that wasn't a bad experience, so why freaking out about this ?
3. Meaning is just an extension of human instinct that helps around making decisions. But outside of human brain it doesn't really exist.

Why ? Because you don't waste time on imaginary constructs. With accepting death for what it is you live with much lower stress and the drama that comes out of it. Reality is often much more fun when you see it for what it is. Plus doing good is genuine good only if you don't do it out of fear. While pretty much all spirituality is fundamentally a fear management, which is trying to solve something that isn't really a problem.

thank you for this.

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters; and the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters; and the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.
These are the bedtime stories of my childhood.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm happier on the Other Side. People can see inside me, and so we get along better. There are no blinding constructs. Although most have to eventually leave to somewhere I don't think I can see.

batteries included

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I'm happier on the Other Side. People can see inside me, and so we get along better. There are no blinding constructs. Although most have to eventually leave to somewhere I don't think I can see.

If you don't mind me asking, how exactly is it that you visit the other side? You mean meditatively?