• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Random Spiritual Thought Thread

tony_goth

Pseudo-delusional Rebel
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
A less "risky" post...

Well-being we receive or think we receive, depends less on us, than well-being we give or think we give. And to be happy, we should theoretically desire others' well-being as we perceive it.

And this time I don't speak religiously, even if I think I do speak spiritually. I just rationalize the origins of natural charity.

(My definition of one's happiness is basically "enjoying what he desires")

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
Pythagorean's believed that the universe was actual musical in its movement, I have always said that when I die I would like to become on singular perfect musical note floating through space, If Pythagoras was indeed correct my death wish maybe granted .

Lark

Pythagorean's believed that the universe was actual musical in its movement, I have always said that when I die I would like to become on singular perfect musical note floating through space, If Pythagoras was indeed correct my death wish maybe granted .

Doesnt sound any crazier than string theory when you think about it.

Presently I like the idea of Quantum Immortality.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
Doesnt sound any crazier than string theory when you think about it. Presently I like the idea of Quantum Immortality.
I love when you introduce me to new concepts. This one is a little hard for me to wrap my brain around but investigating , I love any multi universe/dimension theories.
the concept of the reminds me of the end of HBO series The left overs when she gets in the bubble. It was so interesting.

Lark

I love when you introduce me to new concepts. This one is a little hard for me to wrap my brain around but investigating , I love any multi universe/dimension theories.
the concept of the reminds me of the end of HBO series The left overs when she gets in the bubble. It was so interesting.

Well, string theory as I understand it, which is not entirely by any stretch, is that the universe could be a vibration similar to that of a string, which could be a harp or other string instrument I guess and from there you have your tenuous link to the Pythagoreans if you like.

Quantum immortality is an idea I find interesting for its dealing with the idea of "anything that can happen does happen" idea of the multiverse, like the decision tree episodes of Community in which Abed talks about rolls of the dice etc.

A good talk by Hieromonk Kosmas of Australia and the Rationalism and Prelest that pervades even in the spiritual communities of today. Rationalism is actually a worldview which was espoused during Middle Aged western Europe. Rationalism itself is a worldview taken apart easily by applying the transcendental argumentation to it. It presupposes Materialism, and denies the existence of Metaphysics. There is a reason the Protestant Reformation began in the late-Middle Ages/Renaissance era. Rationalism rejects the Eucharist as evident in Calvinistic sects of the modern day. From that, it was only a step away from rejecting God altogether. This Western mindset or "Phronema" now pervades the known-world influenced by the West.

There's a point in which Rationalism goes into pure stupidity in order to explain away spiritual phenomena. The other day I had an encounter with how dumb Rationalism can get:

There's a debate in the field about the awareness of the experience, not only in human, but other living creature. If it quacks like a duck, etc, is it really a duck, or just an AI of a duck? How to ever infer that, in any other life form?

There is a reason Russia and Eastern Europe is denigrated by Western Media. Lord have mercy on us and keep us from prelest and spiritual pride. Amen

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
"Doubt always coexists with faith, for in the presence of certainty who would need faith at all?" - phillip yancey

When a boy is close to his father, and his father overcame all obstacles, the boy's belief in God is natural. He has the mentality of the seed. When a boy is traumatized by his father's weakness, he then takes on the nature of the womb (mother nature) and God simply can't be proven to him. The boy now becomes detached from the seed from which he came and he only sees the material from which he is formed in. We must forgive our parents and return to the seed. This is where truth and power lie.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would say if you want to find god, you must first find beauty. "God" is everything, and in everything. An intangible essence of life, nature, and existence.

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
pisces-can-read-between-the-lines-and-they-pick-up-22172973.png

cacaia

MBTI Type
NF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I would say if you want to find god, you must first find beauty. "God" is everything, and in everything. An intangible essence of life, nature, and existence.
Yes. I would also change "God", which, to me, is a supercharged word that is not received well, to The Universe. This way, the essence of which you speak is non binary and entails both female and male, and everything in between.

Now the serpent was more subtle than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, has God said, you shall not eat of every tree of the garden? - Genesis 3:1

In the statement 'the serpent was more cunning' you understand to whom reference is made. This is our Adversary, whose wisdom is of this world. Gratification of pleasure has been fittingly called wisdom, because it is called the wisdom of the flesh as in the statement, 'The wisdom of this flesh is hostile to God.' [ Rom 8:7 ] The seekers after pleasure are shrewd in their choice of means for its gratification. If you understand, therefore, gratification of pleasure to be, in fact, an act contrary to the divine command and hostile to our senses, this is in accord with what Paul states: 'I see another law in my members warring against the law of my mind and making me prisoner in the law of sin. [ Rom 7:23 ] If you ascribe this to the Devil, what other cause of enmity is there except envy? As Solomon says: 'By the envy of the devil death came into the world.' [ Wisd. 2:24 ] The cause of envy was the happiness of man placed in Paradise, because the Devil could not brook the favors received by man. His envy was aroused because man, though formed in slime, was chosen to be an inhabitant of Paradise. The Devil began to reflect that man was an inferior creature, yet had hopes of an eternal life, whereas he, a creature of superior nature, had fallen and had become part of this mundane existence. This is the substance of his invidious reflection: 'Will this inferior acquire what I was unable to keep? Will he leave the earth and attain heaven, whereas I have fallen to earth thrust down from heaven? I have many ways and means by which to deceive man. He was made of slime, earth is his mother, and he is involved in things corruptible. Although of superior nature, his soul is nevertheless subject to temptation, since it exists in the prison house of the body-witness my own experience in being unable to avoid sin. This, therefore, is my first approach, namely, to deceive him while he is desirous of improving his condition. In this way an attempt will be made to arouse his ambition. The next approach is by way of the flesh, promising fulfillment of all his desires. Finally, how else can I appear to be wiser than all men if not by the exercise of cunning and fraud in my warfare of entrenchment against man?' Accordingly, he contrived not to attack Adam first. Rather, he aimed to circumvent Adam by means of the woman. He did not accost the man who had in his presence received the heavenly command. He accosted her who had learned of it from her husband and who had not received from God the command which was to be observed. There is no statement that God spoke to the woman. We know that he spoke to Adam. Hence we must conclude that the command was communicated through Adam to the woman.
The nature of the temptation presented on this occasion is now clear. In addition to this, there are other occasions when many other kinds of temptations are in store for us. Some of these come from the Prince of this world, who has vomited into this world what might be called poisonous wisdom, so that men believe the false to be true and are emotionally carried away by mere appearance. The Enemy's attack is not always in the open. There are certain powers who put on the external form of what is desirable and gratifying so as to pour into our thoughts the poison of their iniquities. From this source come those sins which arise from indulgence in pleasures or from some infirmity of the mind. There are still other powers who may be said to wrestle with us, as the Apostle says: 'For our wrestling is not against flesh and blood but against the Principalities and Powers, against the worldrulers of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness on high.' [ Eph 6:12 ] They wish by this belligerency of theirs to break us and, so to speak, to force out the breath of life from our bodies. Wherefore, like a good athlete, Paul knew how to parry the blows of the opposing powers and even to strike them as they advanced to the attack. Hence he says: 'I strike with my fists, not as one beating the air.' [ 1 Cor 9:26 ] And so like a good athlete he merited the crown of victory. [ 2 Tim 4:8 ] The temptations of the Devil, then, are manifold. For that reason he is believed to be a deadly, doubletongued serpent, doing the Devil's work by saying one thing with the tongue and by harboring other thoughts in his mind. There are other servants of the Devil who aim at us poisonous shafts of word and thought, such as are described by the Lord: 'You brood of vipers, how can you speak good things when you are evil?' [ Matt 12:34 ]

- St. Ambrose of Milan

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
The Pharisee and the Tax Collector
Luke 18:9-14
9 He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt: 10 “Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed[a] thus: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.’ 13 But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’ 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.”