User Tag List

First 172526272829 Last

Not sure if this belongs here but I really enjoy reading eastern philosophy and history and also historical fable, I think something similar happened to the west's development of chivalry in an attempt to tame its knightly warrior class but there seems to have been more of an elegance and it seems to have been more preserved in the cultural consciousness over time until today. Or maybe its just commercial. If I'm being cynical about it.

I can see how ancient bushido resulted both in the horrors of the Axis Japanese but also how it helped them recover from utter decimation and atomic holocaust.

Anyway, I've got a couple of good sources but I was wondering if there's anyone who may be more acquainted with the sources could recommend me any reading? I'm interested in the phase in which the Samurai were evolving away from war to something other than war, not when they were repressed by modern tactics but more the election of a new peace time role for themselves.

MBTI
    LGBT
    Enneagram
    469 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Not sure if this belongs here but I really enjoy reading eastern philosophy and history and also historical fable, I think something similar happened to the west's development of chivalry in an attempt to tame its knightly warrior class but there seems to have been more of an elegance and it seems to have been more preserved in the cultural consciousness over time until today. Or maybe its just commercial. If I'm being cynical about it.

I can see how ancient bushido resulted both in the horrors of the Axis Japanese but also how it helped them recover from utter decimation and atomic holocaust.

Anyway, I've got a couple of good sources but I was wondering if there's anyone who may be more acquainted with the sources could recommend me any reading? I'm interested in the phase in which the Samurai were evolving away from war to something other than war, not when they were repressed by modern tactics but more the election of a new peace time role for themselves.
    Yo. what sources have you got and what kind are you looking for? (young Jack was way into this stuff growing up. Would have been very fun at parties if I'd gone rather than studying eastern philosophy for fun and creative writing.)
    I am the Cat who walks by themself; and all places are alike to me...

For the cat is cryptic,
    and close to strange things which men cannot see.
    They are the soul of antique Aegyptus,
    and bearer of tales from forgotten cities in Meroë and Ophir.
    They are the kin of the jungle’s lords,
    and heir to the secrets of hoary and sinister Africa.
    The Sphinx is their cousin, and they speak her language;
    but they are more ancient than the Sphinx,
    and remember that which she hath forgotten...

Likes Lark liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    Yo. what sources have you got and what kind are you looking for? (young Jack was way into this stuff growing up. Would have been very fun at parties if I'd gone rather than studying eastern philosophy for fun and creative writing.)
    My sources are mainly the business read variety, unfortunately, maybe, so not the original, original materials, plus everyone has read Bushido pretty much, I think, the best was one which I think was called Samurai Wisdom, it was a collection of essays from nobles about managing estates and the appropriate, suited pass time for nobility.

Also, there was a book by a physician which was about health and life, I cant remember the name of it just now but it was definitely from the time that the warrior class began to settle down and make less war, he complained that this should not have meant the adoption of a sedentary lifestyle and that it was killing people.

MBTI
    LGBT
    Enneagram
    469 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    My sources are mainly the business read variety, unfortunately, maybe, so not the original, original materials, plus everyone has read Bushido pretty much, I think, the best was one which I think was called Samurai Wisdom, it was a collection of essays from nobles about managing estates and the appropriate, suited pass time for nobility.

Also, there was a book by a physician which was about health and life, I cant remember the name of it just now but it was definitely from the time that the warrior class began to settle down and make less war, he complained that this should not have meant the adoption of a sedentary lifestyle and that it was killing people.
    Hagakure - Wikipedia

For the cat is cryptic,

Guardian of Ga'Hoole Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    Have you ever been to the Heaviside Layer?
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

MBTI
    LGBT
    Enneagram
    469 sp/sx

Let another praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips...

For the cat is cryptic,

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sx

Hope deferred makes the heart sick...
    “All men by nature desire to know” ~ Aristotle
    Likes Siúil a Rún, Red Memories liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    -
    Socionics
    - None

When I was working as an intern in a bank back in 2010, my former boss, head of department Loan and Treasury discussed about debt payment schedule of one of the debtors. He explained that this loan payment schedule was a long term one, that even until 2012 had passed, they would still be obliged to install the debt principal plus interest. He predicted that even after the apocalypse, their debt would still remain outstanding, and chuckled. I regarded he was just kidding, because of the chuckle. In 2010, there was indeed an apocalypse that was rumored to happen in 2012. But we are in 2020 now, apocalypse hasn’t yet happened.
    I have forgotten the event until recently reappeared again in my memory.
    A discussion with A friend about Prophecy
    In 2016 or 2017, when I was working as a brokerage agency, I engaged in a discussion with one of co-associates that told me his religion is Christianity Protestantism. It was about prophecy. In the discussion, he raised the question whether I knew what prophecy means. After I went silent providing no response, he himself explained the definition of prophecy to me. He understands prophecy as news that foretell event that happens in the future. If I am not mistaken, he even raised the question:” what is the prophecy of Prophet Muhammad”. But again I didn’t give any response to it.
    When I connect with the rumor of apocalypse that was stated was going to happen in 2012 that was told in 2010, back then, I think that one could be classified as prophecy that he meant, but a wrong one.
    Prophecy that he meant as I understand is the exact opposite of news reporting, that I have experienced during my very short term career as a journalist. News reporting characterizes itself with the waiting until an event happen, only then the news can be reported while prophecy characteristics is before the prophesied event happen, the prophecy is foretold. Event precedes news in news reporting, while prophecy precedes the foretold event. In news reporting, the event comes first, then the news, but the prophecy comes first, then the prophesized event.

Prophecy, Forecasting, Prediction: Can You distinguish which is which?
    A couple of weeks ago, I raised the question to my sister whether she had ever heard the word prophecy before? She confidently said yes, and told me that the word means a forecast.
    If we looked up the word “prophecy” in google translate, a literal translation should appear that tells us a prophecy would mean a forecast but they are different technically. Both is about an occurrence of future event, but prediction and forecasting is about likelihood of an occurrence of future event, prophecy is about certainty that an event does happen in the future. A prediction and forecast can be excused when it turns out that in the future the event doesn’t happen as accurately as it was previously predicted or forecasted but prophecy can’t.

Prediction that I am familiar with is usually based on analysis, interpretation of past data, and also reasoning.
    The result of forecast is usually used for decision making at the present moment. For example, in weather forecast, suppose that we watched a TV broadcasting a weather forecast tells us that tomorrow will be raining. Based on that, people who is going out the next day is advised to bring umbrella or raincoat to be worn when it is raining already. Prediction has the same use also. I made a prediction when I was in brokerage that the price of property in the trade area we played at will be decreasing since in my former listings, after a rough calculation here, I found out that owner’s asking price is not worth the intrinsic value. The prediction is used for decision making advice for prospective investors who are going to purchase not to exercise their plan at least for now.
    I am guessing prophecy is possible by a revelation only although it is actually unclear for me how prophecy is technically performed.
    Last edited by typologyenthusiast; 10-07-2020 at 04:54 AM.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    -
    Socionics
    - None

Prophecy Seeking Type
    Experience in a friend that like to discuss prophecy with me was rather rare; but I used to have a university friend that likes to talk about Nostradamus., Both of them, the co -brokerage associate and university friend, I type ENFJ. I identidy My former boss type is ISFJ. My sister, however, commented that she did not care about my explanation about prophecy, and further informed me that she did not need it. Possibly her type (ISTP) is not the type that looks for prophecy like ENFJ does. I think It is important for the prophecy seeker to get true prophecy in their search, but can they get true prophecy is still a mistery on their quest. They can get a false prophecy Like what my former boss informed me. They have a problem : how can they find true prophecy? and can they solve it?

Koran on Prophet
    english translation
    Muhammad is not the father of [any] one of your men, but [he is] the Messenger of Allah and last of the prophets. And ever is Allah, of all things, Knowing.
    source
    In Koran Surah Al-Ahzab:40, it is informed that Muhammad is the last prophet. If we understood it only in the sense of the last person who was able to perform prophecy , and with that in mind, prophecy seeker followed the Koran as a guide for prophecy seeking, they would look for prophecy to Muhammad's legacy or prophets' before him. I am informed that there is a bible called nevi'im herethat means prophets. So probably they can search to this book also, although I myself haven't really read more than the tittle.

But Prophet denotes another meaning. Prophet, in addition to, means, a person who prophecies, In Hebrew : נְבִיאִים‎ Nəḇî'îm, "Prophets" means literally "spokespersons".
    source
    So, I would interpret Al Ahzab 40:Muhammad .....the last prophets like this, Muhammad as the last spokesperson of Allah, so after his death, that has been 14 hundred years, Allah has decided not to use spokesperson anymore, since he was the latest. But the problem is, does "prophet" in Al-Ahzab: 40 mean in both sense or only in one sense.? If only one, which one?
    Last edited by typologyenthusiast; 10-05-2020 at 03:50 AM.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    -
    Socionics
    - None

Prophecy seeker might buy some false prophecy which at the time the prophesied event is supposed to take place, but it turns out it doesn’t happen as it is previously prophesied e.g. 2012 apocalypse, if they carelessly picked random people who call themselves a prophet and also the following action taken based on the prophecy that turns out to be false eventually.
    After remembering prophecy meaning initially learnt from my ex co associate brokerage, and remembering Al Ahzab:40, for a while, I judged that my old university friend who is enthusiastic in talking about Nostradamus and his works, which came after Muhammad, and My former boss, who bought the 2012 apocalypse rumor did not follow Koranic Guidance in prophecy seeking. But, not anymore after learning the other meaning of prophet that is a spokesperson, since they may have understood prophet in Al Ahzab:40 in that sense.