User Tag List

12 Last

Default The greatest guide to happiness is?

Philosophy?

Economics? (including behavioural economics)

Politics?

Psychoanalysis/psychotherapy?

Be present-minded. Don't worry so much about your failures and the things you can't change or control.

Permabanned

Who will die for happiness?

MBTI
    xNTJ
    Enneagram
    153 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Survive & Stay Free View Post
    Philosophy?

Economics? (including behavioural economics)

Politics?

Psychoanalysis/psychotherapy?

This is all too rational and academic to present or induce happiness in it's classic definition.
    It is more like: cooking, building, travling, designing, playing, exploring ... etc.

Don’t seek true deep happiness through the external. Other people, other things. Easier said than done. I’ll let you know when/if I get there.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    286 so/sp

I am currently looking for someone to give me an in depth typing. Willing to pay money.

MBTI
    xNTJ
    Enneagram
    153 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Population: 1 View Post
    Don’t seek true deep happiness through the external. Other people, other things. Easier said than done. I’ll let you know when/if I get there.
    Why not ? I doubt that you can be happy if you don't find yourself the right spot in this world. But that don't mean that you have to be a doormat while you are in your search.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post
    Why not ? I doubt that you can be happy if you don't find yourself the right spot in this world. But that don't mean that you have to be a doormat while you are in your search.
    I figure you live in you. If your inner accommodations are unsatisfactory, nothing else will be either. Inner peace, self-acceptance. Changing what you can and accepting what you can’t. Yadda yadda yadda every corny self help book will probably say it in the intro. However, it’s a cliche because it’s true.

MBTI
    xNTJ
    Enneagram
    153 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Population: 1 View Post
    I figure you live in you. If your inner accommodations are unsatisfactory, nothing else will be either. Inner peace, self-acceptance. Changing what you can and accepting what you can’t. Yadda yadda yadda every corny self help book will probably say it in the intro. However, it’s a cliche because it’s true.

I personally can't have inner peace if around me there is a mess. I just can't.
    I am willing to bet that number one reason why people are unhappy is actually because their environment is garbage. No one will get clinically depressed and suicidal if they live in a trully well functioning environment. Since inner life if mostly formed by data and experience from outer life, not inner life. You can rearrange the external data in a million ways in your head but the building blocks are always defined by outer info or experiences. So if there is mess outside it will probably quite quickly spill into your inner life. However changing external things is much harder and therefore people are running away from that.

But ok, self help books are made by specific kind of people for selected group of people, the ones that are least likely to realize the importance of external. Which is why they are likely to stay in shity life positions no matter how many self help books and therapists they see.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post
    I personally can't have inner peace if around me there is a mess. I just can't.
    I am willing to bet that number one reason why people are unhappy is actually because their environment is garbage. No one will get clinically depressed and suicidal if they live in a trully well functioning environment. Since inner life if mostly formed by data and experience from outer life, not inner life. You can rearrange the external data in a million ways in your head but the building blocks are always defined by outer info or experiences. So if there is mess outside it will probably quite quickly spill into your inner life. However changing external things is much harder and therefore people are running away from that.

But ok, self help books are made by specific kind of people for selected group of people, the ones that are least likely to realize the importance of external. Which is why they are likely to stay in shity life positions no matter how many self help books and therapists they see.
    I don’t disagree that external is important but what good is cleaning up the neighborhood if you come home to a disaster? How can you possibly start to prioritize what needs to be done outside of you if inside you’re a chaotic whirlwind? It has to start somewhere.

Believe me, I don’t read self help books. No one knows me better than me.