User Tag List

123 Last

Default What do you understand by "believe in"

People can choose a lot of things to believe in, God, their country, their nation, their party, what does it mean to you? How do you understand it?

I dont mean any of the ideas themselves so much as the belief and believing.
    Likes Mesmeric_Moon liked this post

Enneagram
    784 sx/so

Someone's interpretation of reality.
    Explanations we accept to secure our survival that provide us with a sense of identity, meaning and a rational framework for our experience, which are necessary for us to be able to operate in the world.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

To me, belief in something means accepting it in the absence of proof.

If I can prove something, or at least support it with convincing evidence, then I accept it as reality.
    Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. ~ Buddha

Depends on how the words are used. Context matters since one can believe in scientific findings or believe in sky gods.
    Likes Cellmold liked this post

Guardian of Ga'Hoole Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

It's a form of valuation; belief means that you value something highly. Think, for, instance, of what it mean to "believe in someone". I think people automatically go to religion, but it doesn't necessarily refer to belief in God.

Anyway, the debate about belief in God is boring to me. The larger definition of belief I just elucidated is more interesting.
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak View Post
    It's a form of valuation; belief means that you value something highly. Think, for, instance, of what it mean to "believe in someone". I think people automatically go to religion, but it doesn't necessarily refer to belief in God.

Anyway, the debate about belief in God is boring to me. The larger definition of belief I just elucidated is more interesting.
    And what does that mean?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post
    Depends on how the words are used. Context matters since one can believe in scientific findings or believe in sky gods.
    Or misused. IME if someone says they believe a scientific finding, then they are putting scientific inquiry on a par with religion. If I have to believe it, that is accept it without evidence, then it is not a scientific finding.
    Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. ~ Buddha

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Or misused. IME if someone says they believe a scientific finding, then they are putting scientific inquiry on a par with religion. If I have to believe it, that is accept it without evidence, then it is not a scientific finding.
    Are you familiar with scientism?

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    This is only if you 'believe' that 'belief' can only be applied in one manner. There are multiple definitions and applications for belief.

Guardian of Ga'Hoole Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Survive & Stay Free View Post
    And what does that mean?
    Huh?
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi