• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

12 rules for life - An antidote to chaos.

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I have just started reading Jordan Peterson's book, "12 rules for life - An antidote to chaos".

In the book he presents 12 rules as follows.

Rule 1 Stand up straight with your shoulders back

Rule 2 Treat yourself like you would someone you are responsible for helping

Rule 3 Make friends with people who want the best for you

Rule 4 Compare yourself with who you were yesterday, not with who someone else is today

Rule 5 Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them

Rule 6 Set your house in perfect order before you criticise the world

Rule 7 Pursue what is meaningful (not what is expedient)

Rule 8 Tell the truth – or, at least, don’t lie

Rule 9 Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you don’t

Rule 10 Be precise in your speech

Rule 11 Do not bother children when they are skate-boarding

Rule 12 Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street

Have anyone read or is currently reading the book?

What do you think the twelve rules for life should be?

Do you have any other thoughts about the book?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I have just started reading Jordan Peterson's book, "12 rules for life - An antidote to chaos".

Rule 4 Compare yourself with who you were yesterday, not with who someone else is today

Rule 9 Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you don’t

Do you have any other thoughts about the book?

Do that many people need a book explaining that they should be cleaning their room and stop jerking off ? Or doesn't it sound better when it comes with that high pitched voice/on the verge of tears? I have no idea but there is a part of me that's happy for once, the US isn't responsible for this guy.

Jordan Peterson and people like him are the new wave of Salafist preachers that get all kinds of traction from young Muslims. Maybe people should give that some thoughts, seeing how things in the Middle East had turned out.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I read the book. I found parts of it really interesting and engaging and agreed very much with some of the ideas about child rearing. I think his voice is a good counterpoint to the only voices usually allowed in a university setting, although I don't always love his following of fans. I think he gets a bit lost in the weeds with the Biblical narratives etc. Kind of convoluted. There were enough parts I felt so so about that I didn't end up buying it to lend out, but overall, I enjoyed the book.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've not read it, but it's on my list. I like some of his ideas. But like fid said, his fan boys disturb me a bit.

Or doesn't it sound better when it comes with that high pitched voice/on the verge of tears.

Isn't his voice just the worst?! I think he sounds 5x more Curtis Armstrong (Booger in Revenge Of the Nerds) than Curtis Armstrong.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Isn't his voice just the worst?! I think he sounds 5x more Curtis Armstrong (Booger in Revenge Of the Nerds) than Curtis Armstrong.

It's bad but his attempts at badassery make it even worse. To be fair, Trump sounds like this sometimes too - both come off as ridiculous.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think I've seen any attempts at badassery. And judging from the fan boys I've seen, there's probably quite a bit of Peterson that I'd find off putting. But I haven't hit that wall yet. The little I've read/heard I've found interesting.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Rule 1 Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street

Rule 2 Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street

Rule 3 Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street

Rule 4 Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street

Rule 5 Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street

Rule 6 Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street

Rule 7 Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street

Rule 8 Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street

Rule 9 Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street

Rule 10 Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street

Rule 11 Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street

Rule 12 Sometimes a dog, too

...that one just caught my eye. When I've had an encounter with an animal during the day, I sleep better.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I've never read, or heard of that book. But those rules remind me of my personal 13 rules to live by. They made me the man who I am today.

Rule 1 Don't be afraid to slouch, relaxation is paramount!
Rule 2 Don't treat yourself as if you're responsible for yourself, if you don't give yourself a break, who will?
Rule 3 Make friends with people who want to take you down, they keep you sharp and on your toes.
Rule 4 Compare yourself with with somebody you admired today, and then try to be like them.
Rule 5 Let your children do things that makes you dislike them, they're their own people.
Rule 6 You don't need to be perfect to give critical feedback to others.
Rule 7 If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.
Rule 8 Tell the truth--I always do. I've never lied.
Rule 9 Nod and smile when somebody's talking, it makes people think you are listening.
Rule 10 Leave plenty of room for ambiguity in your speech so people can't hold you to anything.
Rule 11 When children are skateboarding, join them on your razor scooter or wheelie shoes while blasting Avril Lavigne on your blue tooth speaker.
Rule 12 Abduct a cat when you encounter one on the street.
Rule 13 is Rule 34

Lark

I've never read, or heard of that book. But those rules remind me of my personal 13 rules to live by. They made me the man who I am today.

Rule 1 Don't be afraid to slouch, relaxation is paramount!
Rule 2 Don't treat yourself as if you're responsible for yourself, if you don't give yourself a break, who will?
Rule 3 Make friends with people who want to take you down, they keep you sharp and on your toes.
Rule 4 Compare yourself with with somebody you admired today, and then try to be like them.
Rule 5 Let your children do things that makes you dislike them, they're their own people.
Rule 6 You don't need to be perfect to give critical feedback to others.
Rule 7 If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.
Rule 8 Tell the truth--I always do. I've never lied.
Rule 9 Nod and smile when somebody's talking, it makes people think you are listening.
Rule 10 Leave plenty of room for ambiguity in your speech so people can't hold you to anything.
Rule 11 When children are skateboarding, join them on your razor scooter or wheelie shoes while blasting Avril Lavigne on your blue tooth speaker.
Rule 12 Abduct a cat when you encounter one on the street.
Rule 13 is Rule 34

Chaotic Good. :hexer:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I don't think I've seen any attempts at badassery. And judging from the fan boys I've seen, there's probably quite a bit of Peterson that I'd find off putting. But I haven't hit that wall yet. The little I've read/heard I've found interesting.

I'll get you started. Play the Twitter vid at the top.

Jordan Peterson: Feminists Support Muslims Because of Desire for "Brutal Male Domination" | ResetEra

His badassery consists of punctuating some things with - you better listen boyo! or got that?! This simply doesn't work coming out of that mouth. The only thing I have ever agreed with that he's said is that the alt-right media has an incoherent approach.

yivFoxk.png

Milo and those other chuds built the audiences of directionless neckbeards - Jordan Peterson just walked in that took over because he has a veneer of professionalism and they bought it. In the end the alt-right shits on the most marginalized members of society. Just like they are but they actually think they rose above it and you have to have someone to shit on, right. They are so desperate to prove that they're right - they grab on to anything to reinforced their fetish with "logic" and "reason". Now they have an actual "professor" to be the voice of the alt-right. And that voice is Kermit, not Pepe.

Lark

I'll get you started. Play the Twitter vid at the top.

Jordan Peterson: Feminists Support Muslims Because of Desire for "Brutal Male Domination" | ResetEra

His badassery consists of punctuating some things with - you better listen boyo! or got that?! This simply doesn't work coming out of that mouth. The only thing I have ever agreed with that he's said is that the alt-right media has an incoherent approach.

yivFoxk.png

Milo and those other chuds built the audiences of directionless neckbeards - Jordan Peterson just walked in that took over because he has a veneer of professionalism and they bought it. In the end the alt-right shits on the most marginalized members of society. Just like they are but they actually think they rose above it and you have to have someone to shit on, right. They are so desperate to prove that they're right - they grab on to anything to reinforced their fetish with "logic" and "reason". Now they have an actual "professor" to be the voice of the alt-right. And that voice is Kermit, not Pepe.

I read a sci fi comic once which had a noir theme and the villain hires a private detective to discover who is planning to release a deadly bio-engineered disease, he discovers an apocalypse cult is involved but he also discovers that the cult are a bunch of tools, the real perp, guy who hired him has sold them the disease and has the vacine for it too, so they are selling/creating, the problem and the solution in order to make big bucks, its what I think these right wing hoods are like to be honest.

They cant all be as desperate for a Mr Rogers style father figure as it seems, its frigging ridiculous.

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I read the book. I found parts of it really interesting and engaging and agreed very much with some of the ideas about child rearing. I think his voice is a good counterpoint to the only voices usually allowed in a university setting, although I don't always love his following of fans. I think he gets a bit lost in the weeds with the Biblical narratives etc. Kind of convoluted. There were enough parts I felt so so about that I didn't end up buying it to lend out, but overall, I enjoyed the book.

I am not through the book yet, but I could have done without the biblical passages. I would much rather have had more personal stories, like in "The defining decade".

I didn't realize we were discussing Evan Carmichael. Why do you feel he is alt-right? In your own words.

Didn't realize EC is an alt-right neckbeard, either.

Your words will do just fine.

Jordan Peterson and people like him are the new wave of Salafist preachers that get all kinds of traction from young Muslims. Maybe people should give that some thoughts, seeing how things in the Middle East had turned out.

...or, I/We could be wrong. :shrug:

Ace_

MBTI Type
TNT
20% into reading the book, it seems like average self help guru stuff mixed in with Bible allegories and symbolism.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I tried watching the video a few times - to make sense of the context - but I can't pay attention to it. I'm hard of hearing, for one, but also the guy who's questioning Peterson isn't very clear. He's using too many non-specific words (eg "thing", "it", etc) for me to really follow what they're talking about. It's like you have to already be familiar with their views to follow the conversation.

To be sure, that statement is appalling. At the same time, with the little I've read/listened to (podcast), I've noticed he's inclined to pull super-exaggerated statements like that out of his butt when talking about how spiritual beliefs about external narrative (almost entirely relying on Christian external narrative for example) are actually about some kind of universal internal narrative of the human mind. I tend to steer clear of those writings/podcasts because they all seem so pulled out of his butt. It's like he's forcing templates onto human nature that don't belong there.

The first thing I found any value in was his explanation of 'meaning maps' - how all people have their own 'meaning map' they use to navigate the world and share it with other people. And "trauma" is the extent to which a person's 'meaning map' has been suddenly obliterated by some external event; external events aren't traumatizing in some universal way because 'meaning maps' are all so different. Or something.

Or that list posted in the op, as another example: I see a lot of value in many of those things listed. And while there are some things that are kind of meh, I don't see anything particularly objectionable among them.

LOL. I can't even make my mind run a simulation of what that would sound like. It's like my mind is protecting itself by not letting my imagination go there. His voice is painful to listen to. Because I was familiar with his voice first, I was amazed when I saw what he actually looks like. I was expecting Booger's (Revenge Of the Nerds) less hygienic and more spastic little brother.

I do follow him on Twitter. I'm not on Twitter very often, usually when I'm waiting somewhere for something and have a little bit of time to kill (like waiting for a prescription or something) - so I don't see THAT much of his posts - but I have noticed though a tendency to be rather petty, and to get worked up about things that don't especially warrant a strong reaction. That, and like I said, I think he systematically pulls super-exaggerated extrapolations out of his butt about religious 'archetypes'. He's like a living, breathing example of how confirmation bias "is a hell of a drug".

Has he publicly expressed any reaction to being this sort of alt-right 'voice'? I've only seen indication that he has this following (like that comic - I've seen stuff like that before), but I haven't seen any indication that he's basking in it. It would definitely be pretty gross if he knows he has this following and he's embracing it.

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Why is that?

Well, I am not a believer. The passages kind of throws you of in the reading process.

And personal stories makes things more real. After all, its human beings that live lives, not abstract principles in books.

Lark

Well, I am not a believer. The passages kind of throws you of in the reading process.

And personal stories makes things more real. After all, its human beings that live lives, not abstract principles in books.

I think it could depend on what version of the bible you are reading, some of are in an arcane english and proud of it which I think is unhelpful, they are mean to be personal stories and that's all they are, every single book of the bible pretty much is that way, some are collections of sayings and parables or poems but pretty much they are stories.

I dont see this divide between living life and "abstract principles in books", it seems like an under appreciation for reading.