• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

12 rules for life - An antidote to chaos.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Peterson? His book?

Well the man specializes in Clinical Psychology and teaches. He's immersed himself in the topic through reading, research, etc. Expresses admiration for certain highly well-known historical figures, responsible and credited for laying the foundations of the topic and the field. I'd say all three of them had mental health issues. Suffered from brilliantly disordered minds. Those are the last people I'd be willing to take advise from in formulating what's best for self in daily life.

Then the Biblical aspects? It's of a similar vein, to those greatly disordered minds Peterson expresses admiration for, academia embrace, and the herd is routinely spoon fed.

I'll leave it there.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I will watch this later so forgive me if I talk out of my ass;

Despite being recently branded as part of the same "intellectual dark web", they hold fundamentally different views on everything from the nature of truth to religion. So assuming this isn't sensationalist clickbait like a lot of youtube videos and thus exaggerating a minor trend, and assuming Harris is really losing much of his audience to Peterson, then it would be fairly significant, suggesting a major paradigm shift in the worldviews and philosophies of Sam's audience. Very interesting.

I will watch this later so forgive me if I talk out of my ass;

Despite being recently branded as part of the same "intellectual dark web", they hold fundamentally different views on everything from the nature of truth to religion. So assuming this isn't sensationalist clickbait like a lot of youtube videos and thus exaggerating a minor trend, and assuming Harris is really losing much of his audience to Peterson, then it would be fairly significant, suggesting a major paradigm shift in the worldviews and philosophies of Sam's audience. Very interesting.

It's Mouthy Buddha, so no.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

It was good, better than the click-baity title let on. He's doing what I suspected he would before watching, using Harris and Peterson as a way to look at a potential paradigm shift in the greater population of atheists. I can relate to a lot of his insights and experiences, I was an atheist my entire life yet I became drawn to studying religions at a particularly young age, despite my atheism; feeling like the materialist view of the universe was always shortsighted and incomplete, never enough to sate some deep hunger for spiritual sustenance intrinsic to my very being.

It was good, better than the click-baity title let on. He's doing what I suspected he would before watching, using Harris and Peterson as a way to look at a potential paradigm shift in the greater population of atheists. I can relate to a lot of his insights and experiences, I was an atheist my entire life yet I became drawn to studying religions at a particularly young age, despite my atheism; feeling like the materialist view of the universe was always shortsighted and incomplete, never enough to sate some deep hunger for spiritual sustenance intrinsic to my very being.

That's because Atheism denounces the Spirit aspect of humanity, and tries to explain away the Soul aspect of humanity by giving it a scientific name like Consciousness, (which is cool, whatever). In Greek Christianity, it is taught basically the Human is made as such: Body, Soul, and Spirit.

Body: Physical body obviously
Soul: That which animates the body
Spirit: That which seeks God (more or less), the "Nous"

We have in common with the animals the Body and Soul, but they lack the Nous which is how we're able to place ourselves above them.

And yeah, when I was atheist, my Spirit was still active no matter how much I suppressed and rationalized to myself its non-existence.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's because Atheism denounces the Spirit aspect of humanity, and tries to explain away the Soul aspect of humanity by giving it a scientific name like Consciousness, (which is cool, whatever). In Greek Christianity, it is taught the Human is made as such: Body, Soul, and Spirit.

Body: Physical body obviously
Soul: That which animates the body
Spirit: That which seeks God (more or less), the "Nous"

We have in common with the animals the Body and Soul, but they lack the Nous which is how we're able to place ourselves above them.

And yeah, when I was atheist, my Spirit was still active.

I much prefer the agnostic label, because I am OPEN. A lot of atheists I've encountered, certainly not all of them though, are very set and made up in their minds. Which baffles me a bit, because some of these same people seem to have high openness and would claim to consider themselves very open to new ideas and possibilities in this universe (not necessarily "new" per se but seeming "new" to them, I guess)

Not sure I agree in animals lacking the Nous or Spirit, perhaps it's there but more rudimentary in them, and they're less self-aware of it maybe.

I much prefer the agnostic label, because I am OPEN. A lot of atheists I've encountered, certainly not all of them though, are very set and made up in their minds. Which baffles me a bit, because some of these same people seem to have high openness and would claim to consider themselves very open to new ideas and possibilities in this universe (not necessarily "new" per se but seeming "new" to them, I guess)

Not sure I agree in animals lacking the Nous or Spirit, perhaps it's there but more rudimentary in them, and they're less self-aware of it maybe.

You mean claiming to be open-minded versus actually being open-minded. I've run into that, too.

Being open-minded is a virtue these days, so most people try to simulate open-mindedness with issues that don't actually matter or affect them directly. When it comes to concrete issues like matters of the Spirit, they get rigid.

It also helps to be "far enough away" from a particular Spirituality. As GK Chesterton explains:

Now the best relation to our spiritual home is to be near enough to love it. But the next best is to be far enough away not to hate it. It is the contention of these pages that while the best judge of Christianity is a Christian, the next best judge would be something more like a Confucian. The worst judge of all is the man now most ready with his judgements; the ill-educated Christian turning gradually into the ill-tempered agnostic, entangled in the end of a feud of which he never understood the beginning, blighted with a sort of hereditary boredom with he knows not what, and already weary of hearing what he has never heard.

During my time as an active agnostic atheist, I was able to get "far enough away" from Christianity not to hate it, and find forgiveness in my heart for the crimes of its proponents. I fear Christianity is still too close to home for many agnostic atheists for it to be rejected under the rule of ABC: Anything But Christianity.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
During my time as an active agnostic atheist, I was able to get "far enough away" from Christianity not to hate it, and find forgiveness in my heart for the crimes of its proponents. I fear Christianity is still too close to home for many agnostic atheists for it to be rejected under the rule of ABC: Anything But Christianity.

Indeed. I grew up in the bible belt south. Guns and God. It's easy to get turned off from ANYTHING Christianity-related in that sort of environment, where you're going to meet both the best and worst examples of Christians. It took me the longest time to appreciate Christianity, longer than it did for me to appreciate, say, Buddhism or even Judaism.

I'm still struggling with it a bit. Peterson's bible lectures were helpful though, in addition to a couple of really great, insightful religious studies professors I had years ago.

Indeed. I grew up in the bible belt south. Guns and God. It's easy to get turned off from ANYTHING Christianity-related in that sort of environment, where you're going to meet both the best and worst examples of Christians. It took me the longest time to appreciate Christianity, longer than it did for me to appreciate, say, Buddhism or even Judaism.

I'm still struggling with it a bit. Peterson's bible lectures were helpful though, in addition to a couple of really great, insightful religious studies professors I had years ago.

I hear ya. I've dabbled in Buddhism myself (as I judged it being the only other rational spirituality) which I learned to do breathing meditation. I find it interesting that the "monkey mind" is acknowledged independently by both Christian and Buddhist monks. Now, I combine the stillness discipline I learned with meditation with the Jesus Prayer. It has bailed me out of a sinful state many times now, even though I keep falling nonetheless. In that moment in which the name of God is invoked, I am free.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I hear ya. I've dabbled in Buddhism myself (as I judged it being the only other rational spirituality) which I learned to do breathing meditation. I find it interesting that the "monkey mind" is acknowledged independently by both Christian and Buddhist monks. Now, I combine the stillness discipline I learned with meditation with the Jesus Prayer. It has bailed me out of a sinful state many times now, even though I keep falling nonetheless. In that moment in which the name of God is invoked, I am free.

Cool.

I also see some similarities between Buddhism and Christianity. Jesus said it was not enough to avoid sin in action, but to avoid it in our hearts as well. That seems to line up with the Noble Eightfold Path, in my opinion, particularly with the practices of Right View, Right Resolve, Right Mindfulness.

Harris isn't wrong in noticing similarities between religious experience in different faiths, though I think where he goes wrong is when he uses said similarities in an approach that is dismissive rather than appreciative of shared principles and wisdoms of different faiths and/or belief systems.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It doesn't help that right off the bat, we're introduced to a trigger-inducing PUA.

While the whole dating coach/PUA scene makes me cringe a bit, I think they've gotten a bad reputation due to a few outliers like Roosh V and the Reddit red Pill community.

I can't really fault the ones who encourage self-improvement; I don't see any harm if men are trying to make themselves better individuals, and by extension of that, better mates for women.

Point148

Permabanned
Clean your room bucko. Completely ignore the cultural degeneration going around you that requires your immediate attention.