• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

12 rules for life - An antidote to chaos.

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I think it could depend on what version of the bible you are reading, some of are in an arcane english and proud of it which I think is unhelpful, they are mean to be personal stories and that's all they are, every single book of the bible pretty much is that way, some are collections of sayings and parables or poems but pretty much they are stories.

I dont see this divide between living life and "abstract principles in books", it seems like an under appreciation for reading.

I just find personal stories to be more "enthralling". Stimulates my imagination.

I suggest you head to a library so you can skim through the book, so you can get a gist of the writing stile.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I really don't think encouraging people to pet random stray animals is a good idea. Not about to get rabies.

I mean, my dog was a stray, but we had her checked out first.

Lark

I just find personal stories to be more "enthralling". Stimulates my imagination.

I suggest you head to a library so you can skim through the book, so you can get a gist of the writing stile.

I'm think I'll pass on that.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Jordan Peterson skeeves me out. I've tried watching some of his videos before and am amazed he has a big following. He comes across as having a lot of (barely) repressed anger and resentment. Maybe that affect is just him posturing to come across as more authoritative and provocative but it's a huge turn off. I wonder if he's an enneagram (Maybe he's an enneagram 1 or 8?)

Hard pass for me, as well.

Metis

I have just started reading Jordan Peterson's book, "12 rules for life - An antidote to chaos".

In the book he presents 12 rules as follows.

Rule 1 Stand up straight with your shoulders back

Rule 2 Treat yourself like you would someone you are responsible for helping

Rule 3 Make friends with people who want the best for you

Rule 4 Compare yourself with who you were yesterday, not with who someone else is today

Rule 5 Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them

Rule 6 Set your house in perfect order before you criticise the world

Rule 7 Pursue what is meaningful (not what is expedient)

Rule 8 Tell the truth – or, at least, don’t lie

Rule 9 Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you don’t

Rule 10 Be precise in your speech

Rule 11 Do not bother children when they are skate-boarding

Rule 12 Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street

Have anyone read or is currently reading the book?

What do you think the twelve rules for life should be?

Do you have any other thoughts about the book?

I would like to read it. I enjoy hearing his thoughts on things. I have a lot of books on my reading list, though. I might not ever get to this one, because I already feel that I know what to expect. All-new info takes higher priority when it comes to reading books.

I look forward to hearing more of his Biblical lecture series, though. I think he's fascinating.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"I read all [Sam] Harris' books. He sounds like a very smart 13 year old boy"

XD

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

There's a few good ones where he gets teary. On the one hand I understand why some critics liken him to a cult leader but on the other hand he seems to be genuinely emotionally invested in what he does and gets very bent out of shape by what he sees as the poor health of society.

- - - Updated - - -

Started watching the Bill Maher interview with him and my wife got up and left the room. XD XD XD

Metis

There's a few good ones where he gets teary. On the one hand I understand why some critics liken him to a cult leader but on the other hand he seems to be genuinely emotionally invested in what he does and gets very bent out of shape by what he sees as the poor health of society.

- - - Updated - - -

Started watching the Bill Maher interview with him and my wife got up and left the room. XD XD XD

He seems like a sincere man.

Does your wife think things he says are offensive?

I've rarely been offended by anything he's said, whether or not I wholeheartedly agreed with a specific statement. He blows my mind with his insights and the level of detail with which he can think and articulate ideas, and he seems like a man of great integrity. What he says that does offend me isn't about women; it's about the route one takes mentally that he thinks necessarily leads to becoming a mass shooter, or similarly deranged. (He might have some of it right, but if he were 100% correct on that, then I would be pretty deranged. I'm not. He's got some of that psychological picture wrong.)

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance

I've rarely been offended by anything he's said, whether or not I wholeheartedly agreed with a specific statement. He blows my mind with his insights and the level of detail with which he can think and articulate ideas, and he seems like a man of great integrity. What he says that does offend me isn't about women; it's about the route one takes mentally that he thinks necessarily leads to becoming a mass shooter, or similarly deranged. (He might have some of it right, but if he were 100% correct on that, then I would be pretty deranged. I'm not. He's got some of that psychological picture wrong.)

Yeah, this is similar to my experience as well, I like some of what he says and have posted videos here but he is not my guru or idol.

I don't think he is part of the alt right either, it's just their agenda has involved co-option of him as a figurehead against the left, not realising that the behaviors and ideas he criticises are just as applicable to them as well. He's openly stated that the behaviour that has come from university campuses could just as easily come from the right as the left.

If anything he's very centre, but most of all he's an individualist.

Having said that, I took the OCEAN personality test he is part of and unless I misunderstood the questions somehow (unlikely as they are similar to many other such test questions) and I found the results very inaccurate to my phenomenological experience.

For example it put me in the lowest 3rd percentile of agreeableness, making me extremely low in that trait, which is just evidently not the case (the irony of disagreeing with my disagreeableness notwithstanding).

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

She isn’t super familiar with him yet. I think her opinion so far may have been informed by some hit piece articles.

I’m going to the library tomorrow, if they have 12 Rules,I’ll check it out. Also hoping they have Maps of Meaning

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=15392]Cellmold[/MENTION] agreed, I think the alt right sees him as a useful tool but if they got their way and triumphed over the left, they’d no longer have use for him and he would then be the next target in their sights