First 56789 Last

Senior Member Justin of Flavia Neapolis's Avatar

Likes Doctor Anaximander liked this post

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Peterson? His book?

Well the man specializes in Clinical Psychology and teaches. He's immersed himself in the topic through reading, research, etc. Expresses admiration for certain highly well-known historical figures, responsible and credited for laying the foundations of the topic and the field. I'd say all three of them had mental health issues. Suffered from brilliantly disordered minds. Those are the last people I'd be willing to take advise from in formulating what's best for self in daily life.

Then the Biblical aspects? It's of a similar vein, to those greatly disordered minds Peterson expresses admiration for, academia embrace, and the herd is routinely spoon fed.

I'll leave it there.

Armchair Explorer Doctor Anaximander's Avatar
    MBTI
    TiSi
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Isk Stark View Post
    I will watch this later so forgive me if I talk out of my ass;

Despite being recently branded as part of the same "intellectual dark web", they hold fundamentally different views on everything from the nature of truth to religion. So assuming this isn't sensationalist clickbait like a lot of youtube videos and thus exaggerating a minor trend, and assuming Harris is really losing much of his audience to Peterson, then it would be fairly significant, suggesting a major paradigm shift in the worldviews and philosophies of Sam's audience. Very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    I will watch this later so forgive me if I talk out of my ass;

Despite being recently branded as part of the same "intellectual dark web", they hold fundamentally different views on everything from the nature of truth to religion. So assuming this isn't sensationalist clickbait like a lot of youtube videos and thus exaggerating a minor trend, and assuming Harris is really losing much of his audience to Peterson, then it would be fairly significant, suggesting a major paradigm shift in the worldviews and philosophies of Sam's audience. Very interesting.
    It's Mouthy Buddha, so no.
    Likes Doctor Anaximander liked this post

MBTI
    TiSi
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

It's Mouthy Buddha, so no.
    I'm not entirely familiar with that youtuber but I'll check them out

Stardusk did an interesting video recently

MBTI
    TiSi
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

It was good, better than the click-baity title let on. He's doing what I suspected he would before watching, using Harris and Peterson as a way to look at a potential paradigm shift in the greater population of atheists. I can relate to a lot of his insights and experiences, I was an atheist my entire life yet I became drawn to studying religions at a particularly young age, despite my atheism; feeling like the materialist view of the universe was always shortsighted and incomplete, never enough to sate some deep hunger for spiritual sustenance intrinsic to my very being.

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    It was good, better than the click-baity title let on. He's doing what I suspected he would before watching, using Harris and Peterson as a way to look at a potential paradigm shift in the greater population of atheists. I can relate to a lot of his insights and experiences, I was an atheist my entire life yet I became drawn to studying religions at a particularly young age, despite my atheism; feeling like the materialist view of the universe was always shortsighted and incomplete, never enough to sate some deep hunger for spiritual sustenance intrinsic to my very being.
    That's because Atheism denounces the Spirit aspect of humanity, and tries to explain away the Soul aspect of humanity by giving it a scientific name like Consciousness, (which is cool, whatever). In Greek Christianity, it is taught basically the Human is made as such: Body, Soul, and Spirit.

Body: Physical body obviously
    Soul: That which animates the body
    Spirit: That which seeks God (more or less), the "Nous"

We have in common with the animals the Body and Soul, but they lack the Nous which is how we're able to place ourselves above them.

And yeah, when I was atheist, my Spirit was still active no matter how much I suppressed and rationalized to myself its non-existence.

MBTI
    TiSi
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

That's because Atheism denounces the Spirit aspect of humanity, and tries to explain away the Soul aspect of humanity by giving it a scientific name like Consciousness, (which is cool, whatever). In Greek Christianity, it is taught the Human is made as such: Body, Soul, and Spirit.

Body: Physical body obviously
    Soul: That which animates the body
    Spirit: That which seeks God (more or less), the "Nous"

We have in common with the animals the Body and Soul, but they lack the Nous which is how we're able to place ourselves above them.

And yeah, when I was atheist, my Spirit was still active.
    I much prefer the agnostic label, because I am OPEN. A lot of atheists I've encountered, certainly not all of them though, are very set and made up in their minds. Which baffles me a bit, because some of these same people seem to have high openness and would claim to consider themselves very open to new ideas and possibilities in this universe (not necessarily "new" per se but seeming "new" to them, I guess)

Not sure I agree in animals lacking the Nous or Spirit, perhaps it's there but more rudimentary in them, and they're less self-aware of it maybe.